Crime Springfield, Ohio: migrant workers from Haiti exploited

The minimum wage in Ohio is $10.45 so the fact that the migrants are getting jobs that pay above that isn't exactly evidence that they're getting paid slave wages.
It's also mind-blowing to me that the guy is claiming that immigrants are causing wages to fall, and that is a deliberate scheme by unnamed entities to engineer that result, and it doesn't even occur to him to check if wages are falling. Just incredibly alien to my understanding of best practices from the standpoint of reason and ethics.

The problem with this take (and I don’t expect rationality or decency from you guys so it will go unaddressed) is that wages in Springfield are up. More than average. If the Haitians are making low wages, what does that mean for everyone else? This is simple logic.
Based on what exactly? A cursory google search shows the average income there is 46.5k or $22 an hour

A quick skim through job listings shows even part time retail (generally some of the lowest paying jobs in the job market) are starting out above the $12.50 mentioned here.

Blue collar manual labor in warehouses or factories generally starts at a much higher rate than retail. The Dole foods warehouse worker listing for example shows a starting pay of $17 to $18, which is relatively close to what starting pay for lower level warehouses looks like out here.

It does not appear that $12.50 is a market rate for that work in that area or anywhere near it. And again if the company is trying to hire on people below market rate that's not a staffing shortage. That's a company lowering the bar over and over, and when they've finally lowered the bar so low Americans won't touch it anymore it's time to import from the third world.

It's exactly what we said was happening.

The problem with this take (and I don’t expect rationality or decency from you guys so it will go unaddressed) is that wages in Springfield are up. More than average. If the Haitians are making low wages, what does that mean for everyone else? This is simple logic.
It's also completely ignoring the cost of living in Springfield Ohio. 12.5 an hour is a good living wage for that area. Not tenament housing levels at all

It's also completely ignoring the cost of living in Springfield Ohio. 12.5 an hour is a good living wage for that area. Not tenament housing levels at all
Yet the average income is 46.5k or $22 like I just said. Perusing the link I provided shows job listings as well. Most in that field are far above $12.50. It's low pay for the industry and low pay for the area.

Based on what exactly? A cursory google search shows the average income there is 46.5k or $22 an hour
I posted a link to the data earlier. And your claim has nothing to do with anything. If it is higher than it was before the increase, that means it has risen. Do you understand?
You said that they're causing wages to fall, and that whoever you think is secretly behind their decision to move there wanted wages to fall. In fact, wages are rising. That doesn't bother you at all? That your whole theory--one being used to justify harassment and death threats against children--is factually wrong?

Yet the average income is 46.5k or $22 like I just said. Perusing the link I provided shows job listings as well. Most in that field are far above $12.50. It's low pay for the industry and low pay for the area.
Wages in the town are rising, as any economist would have predicted. How do you explain that?

The minimum wage in Ohio is $10.45 so the fact that the migrants are getting jobs that pay above that isn't exactly evidence that they're getting paid slave wages.
Right and warehousing/manufacturing isn't a minimum wage job or anything close to it. Again this is what I do for a living. Just look at base pay for other warehouses and manufacturers in the area. Why even bring up the minimum wage when discussing an industry where nobody is making that?

It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about. The entire point I've maintained from the very start is that if they have to bus in immigrants to do the work something is fishy. In this case why are they paying so much less than the industry standard? But I'm sure you guys will have some spin where it's not weird that they're underpaying, not weird that they're shoving them into tenement housing and acting as boss and landlord. I mean after all why let reality get in the way of a good story.

Wages in the town are rising, as any economist would have predicted. How do you explain that?
Are the wages of the people being paid far below industry standard rising? If not I'm not sure what the point is.

Go ahead. Browse through the warehouse listings here. This is an open invite. Someone explain to me why nearly every other employer pays close to the range we pay here (a little lower, cost of living is higher here) I don't see a single one paying as dirt low as $12.50. I even see warehouse positions in retail stores and positions cleaning warehouses (typically less physically demanding than a true warehouse role) are paying $15 or more. Many places are in the $15 to $20 range.

Just take literally 1-2 minutes and skim these listings and see if something doesn't seem odd about $12.50. And then after you do that, sit and ponder how troubling it would be to see employers in your industry just bussing in people from the third world, purely so they can have a subservient workforce that are basically indentured servants. That they can then pay far less than industry standard because they have no leverage. Yeah no wonder I don't want them doing this anywhere near me.

Here is my issue. Springfield, Ohio has like 50000 people. Who thinks its a good idea to put 10 to 15 thousand legal or illegal haitians there? Having that many people in that small city is a terrible idea. The Haitians are less likely to assimilate when they can create their own mini Haiti in Springfield.

Do you think the leadership in the city of SPringfield (Politician, business owners, etc) did not know that is a very normal consequence of deliberately targeting a group, marketing to them and setting up help centers to make it easy for them to apply to jobs and get work visas to come to Springfield , with the promise of them being able to stay and build a life there?

Because that is what they did in 2017, under the Trump presidency, as they saw their town on the path so many small rural towns end up on to becoming ghost towns, with the very predictable result, that with success and a welcoming home, the Haitians hoping to become citizens would want to bring friends and family over too.

Right and warehousing/manufacturing isn't a minimum wage job or anything close to it. Again this is what I do for a living. Just look at base pay for other warehouses and manufacturers in the area. Why even bring up the minimum wage when discussing an industry where nobody is making that?

It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about. The entire point I've maintained from the very start is that if they have to bus in immigrants to do the work something is fishy. In this case why are they paying so much less than the industry standard? But I'm sure you guys will have some spin where it's not weird that they're underpaying, not weird that they're shoving them into tenement housing and acting as boss and landlord. I mean after all why let reality get in the way of a good story.
Do we know what job that migrant had in particular? Here's the relevant excerpt from the piece:
One Haitian man I interviewed asked to be anonymous for fear of retaliation and recalled how he was picked up by a driver for one of Ten’s vans on a street corner near a Winn-Dixie grocery store in Immokalee, Florida. After the long journey to Springfield, he was dropped off at a rundown home on Rice Street, infested with cockroaches. He soon found work through First Diversity at Jefferson Industries Corporation, earning $12.50 an hour; he didn’t know how much George skimmed off his wages. The home he lived in had no working heat, and he bought an electric heater to survive the cold Ohio winter, the heater barely heating his room.
It does seem low given the company he works at but for all we know the difference between what the migrant was paid and the average is what goes to the staffing agency.

Are the wages of the people being paid far below industry standard rising? If not I'm not sure what the point is.
the point is you are lying to maintain a false narrative.

It is fact the wages are rising. The data is clear.

You seem to be arguing 'they are low generally compared to other regions' but with no consideration to if they were 'low' before the Haitians arrived and which direction they have moved since.

Your argument is specious. Even if tomorrow wages are up 100% since the Haitians arrived but are lower than other areas, you will claim the Haitians are the suppressing the wages. Just a blatantly dishonest argument.

I posted a link to the data earlier. And your claim has nothing to do with anything. If it is higher than it was before the increase, that means it has risen. Do you understand?

You said that they're causing wages to fall, and that whoever you think is secretly behind their decision to move there wanted wages to fall. In fact, wages are rising. That doesn't bother you at all? That your whole theory--one being used to justify harassment and death threats against children--is factually wrong?
No because what I said is bringing these workers in will lower wages for others in that field. So far a cursory look shows (unless the info we're getting is wrong) they're paying these people far below industry standard. And all I here in response is quoted figures about the minimum wage, even though warehouse/manufacturing jobs DO NOT pay minimum wage. It's asinine. If I mentioned engineers in Nebraska were underpaid would you link me the starting pay for cab drivers in Iowa or is that nonsensical?

Do you not understand that bringing a bunch of perople in from outside the economy to circumvent fair pay, isn't a good thing? All I hear from you guys is nobody wanted to work these jobs so they found a solution. OK.... so far it looks like people didn't want to work there because they were paying significantly les than the industry standard in that area. Legit question what is the disconnect here? If for example California couldn't find teachers to work for the going rate (because they were underpaying by a wide margin) so they went to let's say Ecuador and rounded up a bunch of teachers willing to work for 1/2 the going rate.

Would that be a success story to you or no?

Do we know what job that migrant had in particular? Here's the relevant excerpt from the piece:

It does seem low given the company he works at but for all we know the difference between what the migrant was paid and the average is what goes to the staffing agency.
I don't know I only have the limited info to go on. And that's yet another reason bringing in people not familiar with the culture is setting them up to fail. An American born citizen would know a staffing agency taking that high of a cut of your base is so egregious it's ridiculous. Is it illegal? No idea but it's certainly NOT industry standard. We have staffing agencies here too, they are not talking 1/3 or 1/4 of your pay for their fee. What I can tell you based on both my own experience and checking rates in the area? There is NO task in a warehouse/manufacturer where that pay would be appropriate. We have third party cleaners, foodservice vendors, etc. and none of them are making anything anywhere near that low.

Frankly all you need to do is look at job listings in the area and anyone should be able to spot something fishy. Like I said I have a lot of experience in this industry and a brief search showed wages across the board are about what I would expect given their lower cost of living. EXCEPT for this place. IF these stories about $12.50 are true along with the stories about the tenements, this is exactly what I was warning you about.

No because what I said is bringing these workers in will lower wages for others in that field. So far a cursory look shows (unless the info we're getting is wrong) they're paying these people far below industry standard.
What do you understand the word "lower" to mean? If they were standard - X before and now they're at standard - >X, do you still think it lowered wages?
And all I here in response is quoted figures about the minimum wage, even though warehouse/manufacturing jobs DO NOT pay minimum wage.
I cited median wages in the town.
Do you not understand that bringing a bunch of perople in from outside the economy to circumvent fair pay, isn't a good thing? All I hear from you guys is nobody wanted to work these jobs so they found a solution. OK.... so far it looks like people didn't want to work there because they were paying significantly les than the industry standard in that area.
Doesn't work like that. What tends to happen is that an influx of lower-skilled workers means that higher-skilled workers tend to get more supervisory positions. Generally, an increase in economic output means that there is more money going around the town, which filters to different people in different ways, and if the new residents are getting a small portion of it, what is the logical implication of that?
Legit question what is the disconnect here? If for example California couldn't find teachers to work for the going rate (because they were underpaying by a wide margin) so they went to let's say Ecuador and rounded up a bunch of teachers willing to work for 1/2 the going rate.

Would that be a success story to you or no?
If California needed workers of a certain type and then got those workers, that would mean the state is better off. Obviously. It's a little complicated with teachers because the economic value isn't immediately apparent. If your theory were right, the country would just constantly be getting poorer, as our population grows, when it's very obvious that the opposite is true. In fact, for developed countries that already have functioning market economies and aren't in recessions, increasing immigration is the most demonstrably successful policy intervention at the goal of raising wages.

A quick skim through job listings shows even part time retail (generally some of the lowest paying jobs in the job market) are starting out above the $12.50 mentioned here.

Blue collar manual labor in warehouses or factories generally starts at a much higher rate than retail. The Dole foods warehouse worker listing for example shows a starting pay of $17 to $18, which is relatively close to what starting pay for lower level warehouses looks like out here.

It does not appear that $12.50 is a market rate for that work in that area or anywhere near it. And again if the company is trying to hire on people below market rate that's not a staffing shortage. That's a company lowering the bar over and over, and when they've finally lowered the bar so low Americans won't touch it anymore it's time to import from the third world.

MIke are you completely unaware that what you point at above is happening in many States (especially Red States), in Rural towns, where the younger workers are mostly all leaving to get educations and then building a life outside the smaller towns?

is it your position that as long as those small towns do not get in this type of Haitian immigrant labor, then you do not see this impact above that you are pointing at?

You seem to be making an argument that unless the Haitians (other immigrants) fix everything in these ailing towns, the instant they arrive then simply pointing at any challenges, as you do, means it is the Haitians fault, even if things are IMPROVING since they arrived.

Back