News Sports cards collecting rising in popularity, Mike Trout signed rookie goes for $922k, Box Breaks

the sportscard market had a resurgence in about 2008-mid 2010s with game-used/photoshoot worn memorabilia inserted into the cards itself and autographed (either on-card or sticker)...of course, they overproduced the hell out of everything so now prices, for the most part, are in the shitter compared to a few years ago. i did like the concept of them adding cut up pieces of worn equipment in there, so you got bat/glove/ball/jersey/button from jersey for baseball, skates/gloves/jerseys for hockey, jersey/shoes/ball for nba, mouthpiece/glove/shorts/walk-out shirt for mma, etc.

i sold off most of my collection a while back and made a lot of money...not enough to recoup what i spent but still a good chunk of change especially as a few of my cards appreciated in value since they were serial numbered autographed rookie cards. i also had a collection of hall of fame players, many of them deceased, which made the number of autographed cards scarce as they are all locked up in someone's collection somewhere in addition to the fact that they can not sign anymore since they are not with us anymore.

the only thing i look at these days are autographs of boxers which they had randomly added to this baseball set by topps called allen & ginter. i have a small collection of ufc autographed cards from the 1st and 2nd series but i stopped buying once they started over-producing.

which reminds me, i bought a bunch of mcgregor autographed "rookie" cards and flipped them on ebay JUST before he fought khabib and those sales did quite well.

do not buy blaster packs, at all. waste of money. buy singles if you can.
That Allen and ginter Manny Pacquiao card reduces in value when he started bashing the gays

Bullshit I got a insane baseball card collection from 77 to 88 topps , fleer m donuts. Basically every good card you can have from that time period. Aside from a few cards here an there almost all especially 81 an after went DOWN in price not up.

It’s certainly not bullshit. Your cards are from an era called the “junk wax era”. Rookies of HOFers can still be worth a lot from this era but they have to be in a high grade as there were literally millions produced.

This was the card its a Topps Chrome refractor rookie, non signature you think its going to be worth something? Do you do box breaks? have you ever got a signature jersey worn card or is that hard as hell to do when you buy those blaster packs at walmart?
71R5ZqNGO1L._AC_SX522_.jpg

1. It certainly can but a lot of it will be tied to how well Tatis Jr. ends up doing obviously. It wouldn’t hurt to get it graded either but it would only see an increase in value if it came back a 9 or 10. I personally don’t like grading but that’s the cold hard truth.

2. I do dabble in box breaks every blue moon as I can’t afford actual hobby boxes.

3. I stay away from blasters. While you can get some good stuff in them the odds that you do are even worse than hobby boxes.

It’s certainly not bullshit. Your cards are from an era called the “junk wax era”. Rookies of HOFers can still be worth a lot from this era but they have to be in a high grade as there were literally millions produced.
Yeah they produced so many duplicates in the 80s, I remember opening a pack of tops wax packs and have 4 Jose offerman cards in one pack, with two oriel hershiser cards, and two Ricky Henderson’s. I heard the defected mis print cards are the ones worth more.

That Allen and ginter Manny Pacquiao card reduces in value when he started bashing the gays

it's still a tough one to find. i am looking for the tyson one from that set but i don't think that's going to happen. they have one of stallone and drago to from rocky iv but those are...well, actors.

@StewDogg11

This guy was lucky as hell, pulled a Zion Williamson rookie prism from a blaster box at Walmart

I used to collect comic books and the comic book cards, have them in the plastic sheets in some binder somewhere

wow nostalgia, I think it was like series 2 and 3 marvel

I've got a binder with about five or six sheets of boxing cards from the early '90s that I had autographed in person by various fighters. A lot of whom are Hall of Famers that are now deceased. I wonder how much those are worth now? I should get some of the best ones graded & slabbed but I'm not sure how much it costs for each card. It can't be as much as comic books can it?

I think that just surfaced recently. I remember people asking for years if that card was pulled.
You ever been to one of those Sport card Auctions? How does it work does the place auctioning your card get a high percentage?

I've got a binder with about five or six sheets of boxing cards from the early '90s that I had autographed in person by various fighters. A lot of whom are Hall of Famers that are now deceased. I wonder how much those are worth now? I should get some of the best ones graded & slabbed but I'm not sure how much it costs for each card. It can't be as much as comic books can it?
Sadly Boxing is a hard sport to grade in terms of value for cards its not widely popular. I think some of those Allen Ginter from Topps had several boxer autograph cards and those cards are worth like $300 to $1,500 on Ebay. I think the Floyd Mayweather auto is worth the most, I do remember in 2011 when Pacquiao was at his peak in the beast mode zone destroying everyone his Allen and Ginter auto was selling for over a thousand. Now its only worth like 200 because he got knocked out and lost.

The 2016 Canelo Allen Ginter Topps auto is worth like 500
2016-Topps-Allen-Ginter-Non-Baseball-Autographs-Canelo-Alvarez.jpg

Sadly Boxing is a hard sport to grade in terms of value for cards its not widely popular. I think some of those Allen Ginter from Topps had several boxer autograph cards and those cards are worth like $300 to $1,500 on Ebay. I think the Floyd Mayweather auto is worth the most, I do remember in 2011 when Pacquiao was at his peak in the beast mode zone destroying everyone his Allen and Ginter auto was selling for over a thousand. Now its only worth like 200 because he got knocked out and lost.

The 2016 Canelo Allen Ginter Topps auto is worth like 500
2016-Topps-Allen-Ginter-Non-Baseball-Autographs-Canelo-Alvarez.jpg

Yep. Boxing memorabilia is very much a small niche market. That's why I sold off so much of my collection before moving to AZ last year & just kept about a quarter or so of what I had.

Don't get me wrong, I still love what I have left but it's only my most valuable & my personal favorite stuff. All the rest I sold off to collectors that I knew back in New York. Who knows what the market for it would have been in AZ? Although, I bet it would have probably sold well in SoCal because it was mostly east coast stuff.

Yep. Boxing memorabilia is very much a small niche market. That's why I sold off so much of my collection before moving to AZ last year & just kept about a quarter or so of what I had.

Don't get me wrong, I still love what I have left but it's only my most valuable & my personal favorite stuff. All the rest I sold off to collectors that I knew back in New York. Who knows what the market for it would have been in AZ? Although, I bet it would have probably sold well in SoCal because it was mostly east coast stuff.
Its really sad because those cards you mentioned should be worth a lot. In terms of the sport of boxing they are top notch legends. If Boxing were mainstream still and people watched it for years like they do other sports Id say a lot of those cards would probably be going for big money. But it sad how the sport fell off mainly due to greedy promoters don king and arum abusing the PPV model getting the quick money not realizing it hurt the sport long term, Boxing was still very popular in the 90s. Then the 2000s is when it died from mainstream acceptance.

I know the 80 was the peak, I remember seeing Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Duran, Leonard in so many mainstream commercials, news shows, tv shows, talk shows, even in local shows Bobby Chacon out here in Cali was super popular.

They need to make a movie on Chacon such a tragic life and it shows how promoters use up boxers and stop caring for them when they are no longer top dogs

@TeTe
Can't edit because of double yellows: I meant Sold the card, he purchased it for 400k but sold it for a huge profit.

@TeTe
Can't edit because of double yellows: I meant Sold the card, he purchased it for 400k but sold it for a huge profit.

Haha nice profit. Prolly will cover the losses of his huge Derek Carr collection.

Haha nice profit. Prolly will cover the losses of his huge Derek Carr collection.
So you are familiar with Vegas Dave? I only remember him from his massive bets on UFC and Boxing matches.

Didn't he bet on Holly Holm to KO Rousey?

Do you know how he made his money?

@StewDogg11 @TeTe @sweetviolenturg

You guys ever heard of Melty Misfits? They are sticker cards

They remind me of The Garbage Pail Kids sticker cards I used to collect in the 80s as a kid

But they are going for thousands on EBAY I never heard of them before why are they so expensive?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Set-of-PROMO-cards-for-The-Melty-Misfits-by-Buff-Monster/392916317657?hash=item5b7ba335d9:g:KuEAAOSwWplfQyCV&_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D5f2862559f4676e1249e9f4a
They look vaguely familiar but I had no idea they were so valuable. Those prices are crazy.

This is what I found out about them:
https://geepeekay.com/parody_misfits_intro.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back