News Sports cards collecting rising in popularity, Mike Trout signed rookie goes for $922k, Box Breaks

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TidWell, May 22, 2020.

1. Smokes Black Belt

Pokemon cards have even blown up since Covid. I seen people going crazy over the originals but also snatching up new packs looking for Big Fat Gay Pickichu.

TidWell likes this.
  2. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

Do it. Supposing you have guys on the level of Camacho, Gatti, or bigger then I’d do it if I were you. Especially if you have pictures of yourself with them and can otherwise authenticate and provide a story to go along with the autographed card.

I don’t know who’ve you’ve got but I would assume that British and Mexican fighters would be especially valuable nowadays given how big their respective fandoms are.

As far as the comic book question... that’s immaterial. 99% of comic books from that era are barely worth face value adjusted for inflation. Autographed boxing cards of Hall of Famers are guaranteed to bring in a profit. It’s not as big a marketplace as it is for comic books or transports cards but it’s still healthy.

sweetviolenturg likes this.
  3. TeTe Grifting for likes Staff Member Senior Moderator

There's a definitely stories of people finding their grandfather's collection in boxes and in good condition, making bank off of it. They're rare though.

TidWell likes this.
  4. FyrFytr998 Dig Your Way Out (2021)

$922K? I remember back when they had the same kind of hype for Ken Griffey Jr. cards. Nowadays his cards are pretty meh on prices.

TidWell likes this.
  5. TidWell Steel Belt

The reason the older cards are worthless is because of mass production you would many times get duplicates of the same card in one Topps wax pack, I remember buying two Topps packs as a kid and chewing the gum and then I got 3 Darly Strawberry cards, and two Rickey Hendersons, I also remember getting two Jose Cansecos in one pack and he was my favorite player at the time, these cards today they make them super rare and high quality on purpose so it hikes up the price and they throw in a game worn jersey and signature on it making it big money

I think the only griffey card worth something from that Topps era is the factory defect or irregular because its rare, they produced so many of those cards.

6. StewDogg11 Brown Belt

TidWell likes this.
  7. TidWell Steel Belt

Yeah, its the first thing i thought, an old card with no wear and tear? In mint condition very suspicious but apparently it was graded and examined by pros. Is it okay to restore cards like that?

8. StewDogg11 Brown Belt

Tons of trimmed/doctored cards have made it through both PSA and BGS’ auspices. True collectors obviously take great issue with it but people just in it for the money obviously don’t. If a card is found to be altered it is supposed to have that designation on the slab but obviously tons that are actually altered don’t. Example below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    TidWell likes this.
  9. TidWell Steel Belt

Man the card world is a shady game, collectibles in general, but this is such a massive purchase one would think it would be graded and passed through several protocols by professionals or say altered.

StewDogg11 likes this.
  10. StewDogg11 Brown Belt

It’s also good for PSA’s business for people to see a $5 million card in a PSA slab so they have incentive to overlook certain stuff or overgrade big money cards or cards submitted by big time customers.

TidWell likes this.