• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sparring footage of Strickland vs Rukiya Anpo

I've known about Anpo for a while, he's a beast. And he absolutely tuned up Strickland, but the size difference was a bit too much. If he were 20 lbs heavier he probably KOs Sean in sparring, was tagging him clean over and over.
To be fair lighter Strickland would be in shape Strickland, so smaller weight difference wouldn't be an advantage there for Ampo

Last edited:
Imagine if Strickland fought the way he sparred? Dude doesn't do 1/10th in an actual fight that we see in his sparring sessions.

If Sean can ever fight like he spars, he would be a legend. He goes balls out in sparring sessions, but is far more defensive and reserved in actual fights.

He's still top level even in the latter, but imagine if he stepped up his offense and fought to his sparring intensity in actual fights.
Last time he threw caution to the wind and went after his opponent, he got slept with a left hook. The stakes are way lower in sparring.

His team let their boy get damaged pretty good. I know Japanese is all about honor and stuff but their team doing a bad job lol.

Looks like he was near finished 2-3 times lol.

I wonder how many rounds they did. Maybe 2-3. If that was a single round that’s crazy

Last edited:
Some of those "little" uppercuts Sean got through, yeesh.... Good body shots by Anpo. Man, I don't want any part of that type of sparring. Zip.
The Kronk gym in Detroit was famous for their hard sparring. Literally high level pros trying to knock each other flat out every day. Terrifying environment, you had to really be confident in your skills to go in there every day. Part of why guys like James Toney and Tommy Hearns were the beasts they were.

The Kronk gym in Detroit was famous for their hard sparring. Literally high level pros trying to knock each other flat out every day. Terrifying environment, you had to really be confident in your skills to go in there every day. Part of why guys like James Toney and Tommy Hearns were the beasts they were.

One of the best quotes from Toney was something to the effect of "I will fight you at your momma's weight". I've watched footage from that era. Committed to their craft is an understatement.

Pretty sure Chris Curtis is is main sparring partner. He's just as big as Sean... also has great defence. I guess they'd both have to if that's the way they spar.
I had forgotten about that. I’m actually a fan of Sean despite his lack of finishes. He’s like a kindred spirit just a little nuttier lol

Back