something really angered/scared me today

gza

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
doing flat DB bench press today

usually start off with 50s and work up to 105x8-ish

got up to 100s...couldn't even fucking press the thing. at all. couldn't even get it 2 inches off my chest. my tris or shoulders weren't gassed or anything, my body just didn't want to move it. so i thought, ok, ill take 5 minutes rest, maybe my body is being a *** for some reason. went back to it, same thing.

has anyone ever had this? when your body just turned into a bitch for the day? at first i was angry at myself, i didnt know what was wrong. i got enough sleep the night before, adequate nutrition and everything. i wasn't doing anything wrong at all.

but now im kinda scared at for some reason my strength might have magically dropped overnight. :icon_neut

I don't think strength can magically drop like that lol. I would say that one time of feeling weak doesn't mean a thing...

i didnt even finish the rest of the day i was so mad

haha I have done stuff like that before... only when I get mad I usually try over and over and burn myself out then go home all pissed off lol

haha yeah

in retrospect i think i shouldve used the anger/frustration and put it to use in the gym but i didnt wanna end up having 200 pounds over my head and dropping them on my face because of some unknown problem in my triceps

maybe its a lockout problem ill have to address

Yeah I notice that on my bench press every month or so, usually if I just drag myself to the gym but if im pumped and motivated I usually do good.

Don't worry man, it happens. I have had times where I bench 320 one week, but can't put up 295 the next.

The most variable of all my lifts is my deadlift. Depending on several factors, it can range anywhere from 405 to 465.

If it happens more than 3 weeks in a row, you might need to take some time off.

It happens. Don't sweat it. Dan John said workouts will average out to about the rules of 5's:

Out of every 5 workouts, 1 will be great, 3 will be good, and 1 will suck.

I had it on my OHP. I hit strict 185 and the next week I could not move 135 strict.

I had to check my journal to see if I had actually hit 185 the week before.

^So true.

I freaked out bad a few months ago when I went to the gym and failed a 265 squat. I hit a PR of 325 yesterday. Bad workouts happen. Good ones, too.

It happens. Don't sweat it. Dan John said workouts will average out to about the rules of 5's:

That sounds about right.

It's happened to me before. In fact I had the same reaction, just walk out of the gym in frustration.

im glad to know this has happened to some of you

not glad, just...i feel more confident that my bodies not going to shit on me :D

I have this happen to me some times. I load the bar up start the lift and my body just says nope not interested today. I often get mad and try to do my regular workout and end up having a very frustrating crappy workout.
I found out what works much better to scrap the whole workout and do something totally different. Maybe try exercise you don't normally do. That way It kinda takes the preasure off because you dont have a preconceived notion of how much weight you should be doing for x amount of reps.

Shit man, this happens to everyone.

Yeah - that sounds pretty accurate.

Malnutrition, dehydration, lack of sleep, and circadian rhythms can all affect your performance.

Back