Rewatch So I rewatched Chandler/Oliveira 1...

It's not a pointless rematch if you consider it could be Chandlers last fight. Might as well go out avenging a loss against a big name.

Agree. A pointless fight for each. Does nothing to advance either of them, especially Oliveira.

It actually does advance both guys. Outside of Arman/Islam which is the next title fight, this is the only fight booked in the top 10 at LW. So just on activity the winner advances in a division that's not moving. Poirier, Gaethje have nothing going on, Hooker just won but is not near a title shot, Gamrot just lost, Dariush injured, Fiziev injured, Max fighting at FW.

Olivera advances purely on activity. The fact that Charles fights someone in the top10 and wins moves him right into another title fight. He's #2 right behind Arman, a win is great for him over anyone now and solidifies him as the next title contender.

And I don't think we need to talk much about what W does for Chandler considering Charles is #2 in the division. He could slide in there vs Islam/Arman, again, based on no one else fighting.

The timing and incaciviy of the division is what works so well for these two.

Problem is... first fight was PEAK Oliveira vs past-prime Chandler who makes mistakes.
Now it will be twilight of prime/slightly past-prime Olives (as seen in Arman fight he didn't have deadly striking like in his previous fights and I doubt Tsarukyan is better striker than Dustin/Justin) and same Mike but with ring rust.
I will not be shocked if Iron will TKO Charlie in round one. It all depends on his negative fight IQ.

It actually does advance both guys. Outside of Arman/Islam which is the next title fight, this is the only fight booked in the top 10 at LW. So just on activity the winner advances in a division that's not moving. Poirier, Gaethje have nothing going on, Hooker just won but is not near a title shot, Gamrot just lost, Dariush injured, Fiziev injured, Max fighting at FW.

Olivera advances purely on activity. The fact that Charles fights someone in the top10 and wins moves him right into another title fight. He's #2 right behind Arman, a win is great for him over anyone now and solidifies him as the next title contender.

And I don't think we need to talk much about what W does for Chandler considering Charles is #2 in the division. He could slide in there vs Islam/Arman, again, based on no one else fighting.

The timing and incaciviy of the division is what works so well for these two.

Disagree.

Charles advances nowhere by beating a guy who's lost his last 3-4, whom he's already beaten, and who has lost to Gaethje, Oliveira, and Poirier — all themselves losers at their own championship bids, Oliveira at least becoming the champion, but a sad loser to the current Champion as well as to the #1 contender.

Only Chandler stands to gain something, if he beats Oliveira. Oliveira gains absolutely nothing if he beats Chandler.

And $50,000 is still flyishit chump-change for two professional fighters, each of whom has more than 15 years' tenure as professional fighters.

Not to mention that Olivera has already beaten Gaethje and Poirier, who themselves have already beaten Chandler, as has Poirier beaten Chandler.

It is a stupid fight for Olivera, period.

I thought the UFC was going to “take care of Chandler” if the Conor fight fell through after he patiently waited for so long, but this booking seems to make no sense:
- Conor apparently can fight soon after so why not just wait
- high risk low reward at 40 after over 2 years inactive
- not sure it’s a big money fight but who knows maybe Dana sweetened the deal…

Not to mention that Olivera has already beaten Gaethje and Poirier, who themselves have already beaten Chandler, as has Poirier beaten Chandler.

It is a stupid fight for Olivera, period.
I agree with you it’s a useless fight unless he retires or is not chaising the belt anymore. But at the same time who is there to fight for Charles?
He has beaten all others on the top and who knows when the title is defended next time or what’s going to happen?
Charles once again just wants to be active and Chandler is one of the biggest names available for him. LW has been a mess with matchmaking the last two years.

Every fight is pointless if you really think about it
It’s guaranteed to be a fun fight and better than the Conor fight
I’m rooting for Chandler

#GodsPlan

I'm NOT upset it's a "pointless rematch" - just happy Chandler is finally fighting

I'm kinda fine with random matchmaking - and trying to view it as just like in any other sports where it's normal for the same teams to play each other multiple times

And I think Oliveira wins again. Chandler has the obligatory punchers chance, and he has the skillset to win, but I don't see him changing his decision making and I think Oliveira being in there with him once already means there will be less of a feeling out process on his end.

Personally not too thrilled for the rematch (would rather see either fight McGregor). But the first one was fun, 8/10.

Here's the fight:

Chandler had it won ...had he stayed on his feet in first...then he gets sparked in the 2nd it was a thrilling fight and both guys basically beat each other in the first one..

The rematch makes sense considering where they are in their careers and how the first fight went down ..

This is a much better fight then Conor if your a real MMA fan

I feel the stars are aligning for Michael Chandler to KO Olivera and call out the Champion. Idk why I feel this way other than Michael Chandler has been very patient while trying to capitalize as much as possible before it’s over.

If Chandler is the same fighter last time we saw him either guy can win. Chandler will need to get a finish, you cannot trust him to not blow his wad halfway through the fight. It's a shame we didn't see him in the UFC when he was younger and fought smarter.

Disagree.

Charles advances nowhere by beating a guy who's lost his last 3-4, whom he's already beaten, and who has lost to Gaethje, Oliveira, and Poirier — all themselves losers at their own championship bids, Oliveira at least becoming the champion, but a sad loser to the current Champion as well as to the #1 contender.

Only Chandler stands to gain something, if he beats Oliveira. Oliveira gains absolutely nothing if he beats Chandler.

And $50,000 is still flyishit chump-change for two professional fighters, each of whom has more than 15 years' tenure as professional fighters.

Allow me to repeat myself again. If Charles Olivera beats Chandler......you with me so far?? He's 100% guaranteed to get the next title shot at Islam/Arman. So he gains the title shot. How is that not advancing lol

Chandler on a losing streak who hasn't competed in years.
Charles who lost a competitive fight against the current #1 contender.
Zero controversy in the first fight.

Not a fan of this rematch / makes no sense.

Allow me to repeat myself again. If Charles Olivera beats Chandler......you with me so far?? He's 100% guaranteed to get the next title shot at Islam/Arman. So he gains the title shot. How is that not advancing lol
Disagree quite a bit. Being on a 1-0 streak with your lone win coming against a guy on a losing streak does not automatically equate to having a guaranteed title shot. Don't know what the management of Charles was thinking TBH

Chandler via KO round 2

He's 100% the better fighter just needs to be a touch less wreckless

Disagree quite a bit. Being on a 1-0 streak with your lone win coming against a guy on a losing streak does not automatically equate to having a guaranteed title shot. Don't know what the management of Charles was thinking TBH

His management is thinking to fight a big name and the only guy in the top 10 thats ready to fight so Charles gets the winner or Islam/Arman.

You have to look at things in respect to the rest of the division. Just saying "being 1-0" doesn't say much if you don't consider the entire title picture with the other fighters and what Olivera had done recently as a contender. If Gaethje, Hooker, Poirier all had fights booked then you may have a point as there are other options. But fact of the matter is that Poirier and Gaethje having nothing booked or even close, Hooker just fought, Gamrot just lost, and the rest of the top 10 is injured. Chandler and Olivera are literally the only two in the top 10 with fights booked.

So yeah, beating Chandler 100% gives Olivera the next title shot considering there is literally no one else. It's not what Chandler has done lately, it's just activity on Oliveras behalf. And he already had the title shot after Dariush, then had a split with Arman, another win over Chandler gets him the title shot.

Chandler/Olivera is mid November.....Islam/Arman is December to February. Olivera wins, you don't think the UFC will book a title fight?? What else are they gonna do?

Last edited:
I think I’m the only one who likes this rematch, it’s not an auto one and it’s better than Chandler hanging on to red panty fantasies I gotta pick Charles

Back