So how exactly did the media "turn on" Ronda?

They didn't. They've done nothing but heap effusive praise on her.

She's still traumatized about the way that she got roasted online by the general public after getting KO'd, and she's misdirecting her anger at the media.

The funny part is that the backlash was fueled by all of the over-the-top, hagiographic nonsense that was being written and said about her. It wasn't just Rogan calling her "a once ever athlete." There were a bunch of mainstream entertainment and sports outlets, who don't know a damn thing about her or MMA, laughably claiming that she was the most dominant athlete in history.

She was a fad who had her time and then fizzled out. Nothing that hasn't happened before.
Bingo.

Most of the "MMA media" are nothing more than glorified bloggers and neckbeards anyway.

They did turn on her.

When she was winning they didnt say shit about her striking the complimented it. When she lost than they got some balls and started talking about her shitty striking.

MMA gave her a platform to be rich and famous, she exposed herself. We learned to dislike Rousey. MMA did nothing to her but make her somebody. Give her judo career a purpose besides serving drinks.

They did turn on her.

When she was winning they didnt say shit about her striking the complimented it. When she lost than they got some balls and started talking about her shitty striking.

You're going to brush over all MMA media with that?

Fuck, that's stupid.

They didn't. It's just an excuse that mentally ill, narcissistic people use to save face. Marina Shafir tried to pull something similar after her first loss; she basically blamed her friends and decided to "hang out with a better crowd." Then the exact same thing happened her next fight.

Last edited:
I'm seeing that quite a bit to explain why she is shutting off the media. Praising Holly Holm for an excellent performance and criticizing Ronda and her coaching for being unable or unwilling to adjust when things weren't going her way is just accurate reporting. Subsequently speculating about what might be going on with her after she went quiet for a while after the fight is the media's job.

I'm not talking about fans on social media. They have shown over and over again to be brutal and relentless when a popular/dominant fighter loses. But Facebook, Twitter, Sherdog comments, etc. are not the media. If she wanted to avoid that then she should just shut off her social media accounts. Her success is in large part due to support from the media who helped to spread her name and showcase her skills. If the reason was only to have more time to train than reducing media engagements would seem reasonable but the total blackout thing seems a little misguided to me or am I missing something?

No,the actual articles were biased against her the day she lost. Anything having to do with Ronda they showed the most unflattering picutres they could find because they decided she was passe,and it was open season on her now that she lost,and that they would get more clicks that way. Kicking her while she was down. If they did that to a fighter you were a fan of,you would not like it. Ronda is famous enough she can get away with a media blackout,which im sure alot of fighters wish they could do.

Most of the "MMA media" are nothing more than glorified bloggers and neckbeards anyway.
This is true. But sadly, the ones who aren't glorified bloggers are people like Kevin Iole who legitimately knows nothing about the sport, seems to actually dislike MMA, and yet he's still assigned to cover it, so sometimes the bloggers are actually better because they actually care about the sport.

I don't know why so many people are making a big deal out of Ronda "shutting out the media". Her doing it now actually makes more money for every single party involved. It's a new kind of drama, which is always great. There are no downsides to this. If she loses, it's over anyway. If she wins, she is going to be back in front of the cameras being more arrogant, more repugnant than ever and in no way tarnished by the brief "no press" gimmick.

I don't know why so many people are making a big deal out of Ronda "shutting out the media". Her doing it now actually makes more money for every single party involved.

How did you get that conclusion?

They did what media should do, report on the situation at hand. However, Poor Ronda didn't know any better than that they'd all be kissing her ass. So the adjustment wasn't very easy, and she never managed to do it.

If you are gonna ban ALL media, then it's quite likely the issue is not with them, but with you.

Because the shitty media want to give her a negative image. Ronda's silence is more intriguing than their shitty wolf hunt.

She's doing it because she can, she reaches far more from mainstream interviews than any other fighter and it's likely not going to negatively impact buys. We will see. The only downside is possibly lower buys but I'm skeptical.

They did what media should do, report on the situation at hand. However, Poor Ronda didn't know any better than that they'd all be kissing her ass. So the adjustment wasn't very easy, and she never managed to do it.

If you are gonna ban ALL media, then it's quite likely the issue is not with them, but with you.
She's done media.

you ve never seen one of your gf going nuts over everybody hatin her blablabla psycho bitch bullshit? same thing with Rhonda

Because the shitty media want to give her a negative image. Ronda's silence is more intriguing than their shitty wolf hunt.

I do not buy that.
I suppose the numbers will show in a few weeks.

Take the weigh-ins.

Ronda making weight, smiling and waiting an extra 5 seconds to let the photographers do their thing is not a story.

Ronda skulking around backstage, then dashing on and off the scale while making weight IS a story. People talk about it, debating whether she is folding under pressure or laser-sharp, ready to make an example out of Nunes. No one in their right mind is looking at this and thinking: "bah... Ronda is shook. Pass for me."

If she wins and continues running from cameras, it will be a problem. But as a one-time stunt, it's just an extra bit of drama for casuals who crave it.

Back