So how exactly did the media "turn on" Ronda?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Goodenyoo, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Goodenyoo

Goodenyoo White Belt

I'm seeing that quite a bit to explain why she is shutting off the media. Praising Holly Holm for an excellent performance and criticizing Ronda and her coaching for being unable or unwilling to adjust when things weren't going her way is just accurate reporting. Subsequently speculating about what might be going on with her after she went quiet for a while after the fight is the media's job.

I'm not talking about fans on social media. They have shown over and over again to be brutal and relentless when a popular/dominant fighter loses. But Facebook, Twitter, Sherdog comments, etc. are not the media. If she wanted to avoid that then she should just shut off her social media accounts. Her success is in large part due to support from the media who helped to spread her name and showcase her skills. If the reason was only to have more time to train than reducing media engagements would seem reasonable but the total blackout thing seems a little misguided to me or am I missing something?

clumseygenius and Myrddin Wild like this.
  2. myjohnson9

myjohnson9 GOAT

Because they started asking her how it felt to lose... and they reported it when she said she had suicide thoughts

3. DaleBoca

DaleBoca Silver Belt

Ronda can't turn on anybody.

4. Sparkie

Sparkie Black Belt

she wants to focus on the fight
    rather than answer the same questions
    over and over
    Uncle Dana is giving her a pass

deweydeucalion likes this.
  5. Lodbrok

Lodbrok Red Belt Banned

I just want to watch the fight.

6. Death By Samson

Death By Samson Silver Belt

She got KTFO and the media reported it. That's how.

kiley_sean, Phisher, Mpower and 11 others like this.
  7. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Silver Belt

They never did. She's just mad the media has the audacity to ask her about the loss and question it. That's why she only goes on Ellen for softball questions.

We are talking about a person who had a massive meltdown and chewed PVZ out for congratulating Holms.

kiley_sean, Mpower, SanJose90 and 7 others like this.
  8. MikeCandler

MikeCandler Black Belt

They need to implement a media rule much like the NFL, would be hilarious seeing Ronda out there like Lynch repeating the same answer until you get to the magic number and then walk out.

Seems to me Ronda is just doing this for more PR, she is not a dummy. By her not talking has created even more buzz

Darwinambrosius and Gorbag like this.
  9. Luger

Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation Banned

Rogan got a hard on

Nightwing090 likes this.
  10. tramendous

tramendous Silver Belt

Wtf lol at thread title. You should have put it as "turn" on instead of "turn on"

fastone, Evbo and billharford like this.
  11. Phisher

Phisher Silver Belt

They didn't. They've done nothing but heap effusive praise on her.

She's still traumatized about the way that she got roasted online by the general public after getting KO'd, and she's misdirecting her anger at the media.

The funny part is that the backlash was fueled by all of the over-the-top, hagiographic nonsense that was being written and said about her. It wasn't just Rogan calling her "a once ever athlete." There were a bunch of mainstream entertainment and sports outlets, who don't know a damn thing about her or MMA, laughably claiming that she was the most dominant athlete in history.

She was a fad who had her time and then fizzled out. Nothing that hasn't happened before.

12. Phisher

Phisher Silver Belt

It's a white belt thread on Sherdog. TS should get credit for not misspelling any words in the title.

fastone likes this.
  13. whadupman

whadupman #FeartheReturn

So after a year you came back to post this about her?

14. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

Well if this is really the reason, she's being a little ridiculous and lumping all of MMA media together into one big blob. There were articles and commentaries written in the wake of the fight questioning if she had merely been protected and was all hype, but they weren't the norm, even out of the minor MMA sites desperate for clicks.

For her sake I hope this was all about focusing 100% on the fight and just keeping everything else out of sight, out of mind. If she keeps fighting after this, I doubt the UFC lets her get away with this little media again, even if they let her do less than she used to.

People need to recognize just how much time Ronda had to devote to this stuff from her time in SF up until the Holm fight. It is possible she just felt it was causing her to lose her edge. I guess we'll know soon enough.

15. billharford

billharford 181 Likes

Rogan criticized Eddie T. and Schaub said she had a rank pussy. Everyone else continued to drool over her as far as I can tell

16. Goodenyoo

Goodenyoo White Belt

Yep, noticed that after I posted. Included the quotes because I was actually quoting what I had read not trying to imply a double entendre. Oh well, lesson learned

17. WinZip

WinZip Trial Version Expired

When people say "media" in this context what they mean is "social media and internet forums" but they can't differentiate the two anyway so their mistake goes over their heads.

18. Dutch Rudder

Dutch Rudder Pimp Belt

She looks in decent shape anyway, little less muscle this time around.

19. wonderbread

wonderbread Stiff Member

Nobody turned on anyone... the media wasn't her friend. The media wants a story and a huge trainwreck gets more coverage...

20. Goodenyoo

Goodenyoo White Belt

Agreed. I am actually torn on who to pick for this fight