So, has Woodley surpassed Hughes as the 2nd greatest WW yet?

This isn't to argue against your post, but regarding eras and fighters being more polished... I honestly don't think Hughes would be likely to ever be a dangerous striker. Be had some partners who were. Pat Miletich had boxing skills, and still Hughes was pretty pedestrian on the feet.
For as accomplished as Hughes was, I have a feeling he was fortunate to fight in the era be was in during his heyday.

I'm talking about if you had cloned Matt Hughes and he was a 22 year old coming out of College wrestling and transitioning into MMA, today, having followed & trained MMA since he was 10. That Matt Hughes could very well be a good striker. Also, Matt Hughes a small body type for 170. He's absolutely no bigger than Khabib or other large 155ers. Today Matt Hughes would fight at 155, but 10-20 years ago WWs were smaller.

THIS is how you compare eras and determine if a fighter would be good in the modern era. And it's basically impossible to say, hence you can't compare fighters from different eras directly. You can only compare how a fighter did against relevant competition at the time. Thus, things like # of title fight wins really matter.

Right now I'd put Woodley at the #3 WW of all time, and if he wins 2-3 more fights as champ, he'll be #2.

Possibly Yeah woodley isn’t a great grappler he gets submissions off taking advantage of the right moment but shields is a grinder with much better wrestling than demian Maia shields probably will beat woodley 7/10 times imo
Jake was average in his UFC run.
Do i think he is a better overall grappler then Tyron?
Yes i do.
Do i think he could repeat what he did the first time against this,more seasoned,Tyron?
IDKM.

Lmao at people saying he's surpassed GSP... let's not get carried away

"Matt Hughes was a pioneer, a great fighter for his day, but he fought a bunch of nobodies for the vast majority of his career. A genuine argument could be made that he didn't beat an elite fighter until he had 30+ fights"

You know he fought Pelé for instance, b4 his 31th fight...right?
My statement was that he didn't beat an elite fighter until after 30+ fights.

You just used Pele as an example, but didn't he lose to Pele?

Absolutely not. That’s actually ridiculous. Hughes best win was against GSP. He also has way more title defenses.

Woodley’s best win is who? Lawler? And has less title defenses.

End of story

I’d put him at #3 behind GSP and Shields. So yeah, he has surpassed Hughes, who I have at #4.

1. GSP
2. Shields
3. Woodley
4. Hughes
5. Hendricks maybe ? Not sure.

Who exactly on Tyron’s resume stacks up to st Pierre?
Lol, well allow me to retort.

Paul Daley is easily just as good as Dan Hardy if not better.

They both finished Jay Hieron.

Woodley beat Condit, just like St. Pierre did.

Woodley beat Maia who previously fought at Middleweight, boring fight but won every round.

Woodley beat Thompson twice, you can say that one was a draw if you wish. St. Pierre never fought a striker the level of Thompson. Woodley also fought the fights almost exclusively standing up, and when it did go to the floor he did damage.

Woodley beat Lawler with one punch, again a guy who used to be a Middleweight and a guy who is one of the greatest Welterweights of all-time.

Woodley beat Till pretty much without getting hit and finished him with a submission. Till is better than 80% of the fighters St. Pierre beat, Sherk, Trigg, Serra, Alves, Hardy etc.

Woodley beat Kelvin Gastelum when he was undefeated, he has gone on to be a great Middleweight.

Woodley knocked Josh Koscheck into next week, Georges couldn't do that in 40 minutes of fighting.

Woodley's losses have come to a steroided Middleweight, a very good fighter in Rory MacDonald and a staring contest against Jake Shields. Meanwhile Georges St. Pierre tapped to strikes to Matt Serra and clearly lost to Johny Hendricks but the judges robbed him.

I’d put him at #3 behind GSP and Shields. So yeah, he has surpassed Hughes, who I have at #4.

1. GSP
2. Shields
3. Woodley
4. Hughes
5. Hendricks maybe ? Not sure.
Lol @ Shields being number 2. Also Lawler is clearly better than Hughes.

He surpassed GSP a while ago, so yeah
Surpassed GSP in what exactly? It is nice troll bait though, and here is some for you....why was Tyrone nowhere to be found during GSP's reign when they are only 1 year apart? Oh thats right he wasn't good enough until after GSP left for 4 years.

People claiming in here that he surpassed GSP are insane. Please take a look at GSP's record and then take a look at Woodleys.

Woodleys first fight against Wonderboy was a draw.
Second Wonderboy fight barely scraped by.
Maia was a worse fight than Anderson had against Maia.
And beat a young and def not ready for a TS Darren Till. Legitimately impressive win tho.

And that is a better resume than GSP's who dominated three generations of WW? You people are insane.

Woodley finally getting respect here. Glad sherdog can come to their senses

Lol @ Shields being number 2. Also Lawler is clearly better than Hughes.
Shields has wins over Condit, Lawler, WOODLEY, Sakurai, Daley, Kampmann, and Maia. Then Hendo (MW), Mayhem (MW). He's the #2 WW ever. Deal with it.

Good call on Lawler. Not sure I'd put him above Hughes, but definitely above Hendricks at WW.

Tyron still has a long way to go to even matching what Hughes did, LOL!

Woodley has 4 consecutive defenses, Hughes had 5. But Woodley's competition has been 100x more stiff, which makes up for the one less title defense. Considering all of Woodley's beaten opponents would have murked Hughes in a round or so, I'd think Woodley would have an easy claim to 2nd WW GOAT

Haha..no.. need a few more dominant defenses ..everyone shits on Hughes because he got old but in his prime he was a force that could not be stopped unless you were a Canadian ..and GSP well that's not even close to being discussed yet

He beats Colby and he passes Hughes imo. Different era but the truth is Woodley has fought much stiffer competition.

23 fights in

Hughes is 22-1 with 1 UFC fight and no MMA accolades to his name

Woodley is 19-3-1 with 5 UFC title fights and 1 Strikeforce title fight.

he has THREE defenses. one against wonderboy was a draw, he just retained but didn't defend, this is why an immediate rematch happened

edit: I typed that he had one against WOODLEY that was a draw and people still liked the post, haha
Um..a draw is considered a defense. Always has been considered a defense.

So that's 4 defenses.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this because we HAVE to factor in how much better Mixed Martial Arts fighters and fights are nowadays.

I think so, it may rub alot of people the wrong way but those people are fans more than fighters, any fighters who disagree are in all likelihood major Hughes fans for however many amount of reasons, valid and/or related to the debate or not.

Any proper fight anaylst or judge would tell you that Tyron won both fights against Thompson, not just one. Tyron does not seem to fight scared against his opponents while his opponents seem to fight scared about him, he seems to fight smart against his opponents while his opponents seem to fight dumb against him. His ability to break opponents with his pressure does what it does, breaks opponents.

He's not the only one that has done this or still does it.

Yes it is. If you get outside of the octagon with the belt still wrapped around your waist, its technically a title defense

No it is not. It does not count as a defense. He didn’t win the fight.

Back