So, has Woodley surpassed Hughes as the 2nd greatest WW yet?

Woodley has 4 consecutive defenses, Hughes had 5. But Woodley's competition has been 100x more stiff, which makes up for the one less title defense. Considering all of Woodley's beaten opponents would have murked Hughes in a round or so, I'd think Woodley would have an easy claim to 2nd WW GOAT
3 defenses.
1 draw.

Matt would have never ran like Tyrun did vs Wonderboy and Maia...and I'm not even a Hughes fan.

Your an idiot. That's like saying Muhammed ali wasnt great because he couldn't beat the competition of today.

Matt Hughes beat cans and LWs and lost to a LW. lmao What are you talking about? Maybe third? Who the fuck are you going to put there? Pat Miletich? LMAO

Tyron is undoubtedly the second best WW on his way to first.

Comparing eras is actually very easy when you don't have nostalgic bias.

Did I say maybe third?

I didn’t. I said close third. Where would pat Miletich fit into this? You brought him up, not me.

Do you just willfully misunderstand people or are you flat out retarded?

No. Hughes wasn't fighting to a draw or winning majority decisions. He wasn't setting records for least amount of action in a fight ever either.

Hughes would've had his hands full with current Woodley. He might've even lost decisively. He wouldn't have fought to not lose though. Hughes always came to fight. It was kill or be killed with Hughes. Woodley has a few more dominant defenses to go before he's on Hughes' level.

Woodley has 4 consecutive defenses, Hughes had 5. But Woodley's competition has been 100x more stiff, which makes up for the one less title defense. Considering all of Woodley's beaten opponents would have murked Hughes in a round or so, I'd think Woodley would have an easy claim to 2nd WW GOAT
In my opinion this happened a while back.

Matt Hughes was a pioneer, a great fighter for his day, but he fought a bunch of nobodies for the vast majority of his career. A genuine argument could be made that he didn't beat an elite fighter until he had 30+ fights, to me that's not good enough. Another argument is that his best win is BJ Penn, a man who also finished him twice, and take into account that BJ Penn was a bloated Lightweight his whole career.

Tyron Woodley's resume is arguably even better than St. Pierre's at this stage.

Technically he didn't defend the belt against Wonderboy the first fight, he retained it, not the same. He has 4 wins in title fights, Hughes has 8.

No. I think as time passes people look at Hughes and give him less and less credit. I've even seem one poor village idiot justify GSP not being WW GOAT by saying something to the effect of "He's old news". This of course is not relevant.

The GOAT conversation is fun but to say that this dead horse has been beaten would be an understatement. Whatever you want to believe is good enough, screw it.

If he wins his next defense the yea

For now I have them tied

Your an idiot. That's like saying Muhammed ali wasnt great because he couldn't beat the competition of today.
you'd be surprised, literally having to explain something similar in another tyron thread smh. Stupid people are the majority on Earth, just imagine on sherdog lmao.

UFC title fights won at WW:

GSP 11 (+1 interim)
Hughes 9
Woodley 4

The answer is no.

He hasn’t beaten anybody that Prime Hughes wouldn’t pound behind the barn.

The Woodley from last night beats any version of Hughes so I would say GSP 1 and TWood number 2.

no make with 2 more title defenses, i believe is has fought tougher opponents though

No Hughes finished all but 1 of his title wins/defenses (that being Sherk, and reportedly Hughes didn't train much for the fight, can't remember if it was due to short notice or because he supposedly only trained a couple weeks before a fight for most fights then, but this is a rumor that's as old as the fight itself), including the two non-title fights while he was champ (Riggs and Royce).
Hughes' finishing rate as champ is why he is still co-#1 with GSP in the eyes of many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back