So, has Woodley surpassed Hughes as the 2nd greatest WW yet?

GSP absolutely outclasses T-Wood on the feet and out wrestles him.
How is anyone thinking Tyrun has passed GSP ?

Hughes spent nearly a decade at the top. Woodley needs some more time and fights. And I totaly believe he can do it with the current contenders

Hughes kind of has 7 defenses doesn't he? He defended it 5 times and lost it. But he won the title back and defended it two times before losing to GSP. Woodley still has a way to go

In my opinion this happened a while back.

Matt Hughes was a pioneer, a great fighter for his day, but he fought a bunch of nobodies for the vast majority of his career. A genuine argument could be made that he didn't beat an elite fighter until he had 30+ fights, to me that's not good enough. Another argument is that his best win is BJ Penn, a man who also finished him twice, and take into account that BJ Penn was a bloated Lightweight his whole career.

Tyron Woodley's resume is arguably even better than St. Pierre's at this stage.
Who exactly on Tyron’s resume stacks up to st Pierre?

In my opinion this happened a while back.

Matt Hughes was a pioneer, a great fighter for his day, but he fought a bunch of nobodies for the vast majority of his career. A genuine argument could be made that he didn't beat an elite fighter until he had 30+ fights, to me that's not good enough. Another argument is that his best win is BJ Penn, a man who also finished him twice, and take into account that BJ Penn was a bloated Lightweight his whole career.

Tyron Woodley's resume is arguably even better than St. Pierre's at this stage.
"Matt Hughes was a pioneer, a great fighter for his day, but he fought a bunch of nobodies for the vast majority of his career. A genuine argument could be made that he didn't beat an elite fighter until he had 30+ fights"

You know he fought Pelé for instance, b4 his 31th fight...right?

We'll have to wait and see if he can handle King Colby.
If he does i'm pretty sure that would make him the greatest WW of all time plus he's a rapper now

lol, I like tyron. I just hope he doesn't embarrass himself like most other mma fighters have when they took a shot at music.

Obviously not, but it's becoming more and more laughable to claim that he's some kind of fluke champion who isn't even an elite level fighter, which is a sentiment that I regularly see expressed here.

For me they say he's an undeserving champion rather than a fluke champion but ingetnwhere you're coming from. They cant dent him for much longer. If he destroys Colby then he's an ATG.

Not even close. If you have to ask, you weren't around in the Hughes era.

Not even close.

Jake Shields is the third best WW ever. Look at his resume.

Prime Hendricks also defeated stiffer in their prime competition (including GSP, I’m afraid) before wrecking his body through indiscipline than Woodley has done.

Do you honestly think he would do it again today?
Possibly Yeah woodley isn’t a great grappler he gets submissions off taking advantage of the right moment but shields is a grinder with much better wrestling than demian Maia shields probably will beat woodley 7/10 times imo

I think in terms of numbers he hasn't. Woodley has 4 total title fight wins, and 3 title defenses (3x title defense win streak -- draws don't count, don't care what any fucking idiots say).

Hughes has 9 title fight wins, and 7 defenses (with a 5x title defense win streak). So clearly Woodley hasn't approached Hughes' numbers -- yet. If Woodley can defend the belt 3x more to get a 6x title defense win streak, then I'd argue that he's topped hughes.

Now, would Woodley beat prime Hughes? Absolutely I believe he would. However, you have to consider the eras... fighters just weren't as polished back then, and it was easier to succeed being one-dimensional. Also, weight cutting wasn't nearly as extreme. If Hughes were a fighter today, he'd be a 155er for sure.
This isn't to argue against your post, but regarding eras and fighters being more polished... I honestly don't think Hughes would be likely to ever be a dangerous striker. Be had some partners who were. Pat Miletich had boxing skills, and still Hughes was pretty pedestrian on the feet.
For as accomplished as Hughes was, I have a feeling he was fortunate to fight in the era be was in during his heyday.

Back