So Eddie Hearn just showed his true colours...

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
Trying to get the new champ DQ'd after he beat the fuck out of his champion.....

Disgraceful and the people who are booing, and Eddie Hearn should go home and be ashamed.

Hearn was even calling out the WBC president to review it....like VAR in football

I have no words for this.....absolutely disgraceful

You can't blame Hearn for trying, thats his job as a promoter. Pretty shocking to see the officials cave, though.

Sometimes I just shake my head at the stupidity of some people. Hearn's job is to promote his fighter's career. His fighter got stopped on an illegal blow. If he DIDN'T press for a DQ or NC he'd be negligent. Whether or not Edwards was about to lose is not relevant. The blow was blatant and illegal, therefore his fighter should not have lost his title.

Last edited:
He showed his true colors by calling out an obvious illegal/foul shot???

The ref called the fight.....are some of you new to boxing?

This is the thing for me, even if there was official video review, the call should have stayed. It was a heat of the moment kind of thing after Edwards took a knee. It’s hard to control yourself sometimes and common sense says Edwards was fishing for a DQ with his antics.

That’s just me tho

The ref called the fight.....are some of you new to boxing?
And the ruling body, which is in charge of the officials, overruled the referee's call due to a blatant foul. There's no way that the title should have changed as a result of that fight. It was a clear no contest. Martinez is fortunate that he wasn't DQ'd. No worries though, there will be an immediate rematch to settle the matter & Martinez will likely legitimately stop Edwards to win the title.

And the ruling body, which is in charge of the officials, overruled the referee's call due to a blatant foul. There's no way that the title should have changed as a result of that fight. It was a clear no contest. Martinez is fortunate that he wasn't DQ'd. No worries though, there will be an immediate rematch to settle the matter & Martinez will likely legitimately stop Edwards to win the title.

I have no problem with the outcome, but on fight night?
I have never ever seen a body do that in the ring, or a commission..have you?

VAR is spoiling football, if it worms its way into boxing(like this decision) then we can say goodbye to the sport we know and love

This is the thing for me, even if there was official video review, the call should have stayed. It was a heat of the moment kind of thing after Edwards took a knee. It’s hard to control yourself sometimes and common sense says Edwards was fishing for a DQ with his antics.

That’s just me tho
Sorry, but I totally disagree. That last illegal blow was a killer shot. Edwards was legitimately in pain.
As for the result, the ruling body and/or governing commission always reserves the right to change a fight's result. And, in this instance it was justified.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. That last illegal blow was a killer shot. Edwards was legitimately in pain.
As for the result, the ruling body and/or governing commission always reserves the right to change a fight's result. And, in this instance it was justified.
eh... if there's no replay rule in effect, I'm not sure its supposed to work that way. Maybe its different overseas, but an official protest is generally made before overturning a result. This result was overturned essentially because the promoter said so.

I don't see the problem.... The guy was crippled by an illegal shot. Not just an errant shot to a downed opponent that could have been viewed as bad targetting but a fucking liver shot to a downed opponent lol C'mon! That's a fucking just NC. What are we going to allow next? Fucking Ground and Pound?! How about some soccer kicks for some added realism?

eh... if there's no replay rule in effect, I'm not sure its supposed to work that way. Maybe its different overseas, but an official protest is generally made before overturning a result. This result was overturned essentially because the promoter said so.
The British Board of Boxing Control doesn't have a replay rule in effect but the WBC does & the WBC was in charge because it was a WBC championship fight. The sanctioning body's rules always usurp the local commission's rules in the case of title fights.

I'm with Seano, the ref has the final say, and if it needs overuling, it happens afterwards.

I have never seen a fight overturned in the ring like that in my life, the ref called the fight....if people want to complain...then that gets done after the fact

The British Board of Boxing Control doesn't have a replay rule in effect but the WBC does & the WBC was in charge because it was a WBC championship fight. The sanctioning body's rules always usurp the local commission's rules in the case of title fights.

I see you haven't replied to my last post, do you think that is a good thing for boxing?

It smacks of influential promoters putting pressure on the decision makers at ringside everytime they dont like the outcome of a fight(which is what happened tonight)

I don't see the problem.... The guy was crippled by an illegal shot. Not just an errant shot to a downed opponent that could have been viewed as bad targetting but a fucking liver shot to a downed opponent lol C'mon! That's a fucking just NC. What are we going to allow next? Fucking Ground and Pound?! How about some soccer kicks for some added realism?
Just not sure overturning the result in-ring based on crowd reaction and promoter protest is a good idea.

Just not sure overturning the result in-ring based on crowd reaction and promoter protest is a good idea.
That's just your view point. Overturning a bullshit result is only a good thing in my eyes.

The WBC shouldn't have any power over a commissions decision though. Again, maybe its different over there but the commission is boss.

That's just your view point. Overturning a bullshit result is only a good thing in my eyes.
I don't think it is "just my viewpoint." I agree it should be a NC, but not the way they did it.

Back