So...do people still think JDS has the best boxing in the UFC?

LOL

JDS's boxing was really overhyped through the roof on this board for monthes.

Yesterday exposed his lack of defensive boxing indeed.
Yes he is fast, powerful and has a very good chin, but his technical boxing is nothing special imo

I don't think it exposed anything about his boxing or that his boxing is overhyped. He didn't lose a boxing match, he lost an MMA fight. Cain got his hands low with takedown attempts and tagged him. It's not a knock on JDS's boxing, but Cain's dual threat as a fighter

wrestlers with (comparatively) moderate boxing skills can be dangerous strikers because of the take down threat.

basically with cain and jds whoever gets the first decent punch wins. maybe for all heavyweights. but jds went 4 rounds on queer street after that first punch from cain. i still think cain doesn't hit hard for his weight class - he couldnt put jds out.

People keep talking about JDS nit looking right because of the wrestling factor.

His "boxing" didn't look good at any point. Not when they traded, not when he was getting hit with ease. At one point he got hit with a 3 punch combo, and I could tell he was trying to use head movement, but his movement was so horrid all 3 punches hit him. The guy can't "box". Can he punch, sure. If he would have worked the jab more, actually had decent footwork, and pressed Cain he would of had a lot more success, but he can't do any of that, because he's not a good boxer. Only thing he has is quick hands for a UFC hw with some power and good take down defense.

After watching that fight, I could easily see someone like David Haye dominating the UFC HW division. Even without wrestling, I literally couldn't see Haye losing to any MMA HW.

Junior's boxing looked bad last night because he totally underestimated Cain's and wasn't prepared for it. Also, Cain was smart enough to realize that Junior doesn't like to be pressured.

Junior's boxing is excellent by MMA standards. I think he would do well in the Olympics, possibly medal.

you have to be kidding me. Have you watched a boxing match before?

Haye would have knocked Cain out if he pressured like that against him. Just like he did Chisora.

Junior's boxing looked bad last night because he totally underestimated Cain's and wasn't prepared for it. Also, Cain was smart enough to realize that Junior doesn't like to be pressured.

Junior's boxing is excellent by MMA standards. I think he would do well in the Olympics, possibly medal.

Junior got completely schooled and nearly dropped by a 168 pound pan-American boxer(who padded his record by fighting less than reputable competition). He wouldn't even be on the last place in the Olympics, they'd just say "Go home kid, this isn't for you." after he gets knocked the f out in the first 30 seconds.

Wow, what an intelligent thread. Klitschko's are going to constantly chase and take him down repeatedly are they?

LOL

JDS's boxing was really overhyped through the roof on this board for monthes.

Yesterday exposed his lack of defensive boxing indeed.
Yes he is fast, powerful and has a very good chin, but his technical boxing is nothing special imo

I have to completely disagree.

The Cain fight exposed nothing more then the fact that JDS was worried about the takedown and lost his focus on defence. He was the least hit HW in the past 4 years, no one was barely even able to touch him. What are you gonna say next??? Jon JOnes or Anderson Silva are going to get hit and lose the standup and their defence will be exposed???

One fight doesnt change the fact that JDS went 9 fights and absolutely obliderated everyone with his stand up that he fought, and it wasnt even close. No one has done that to the level of competition that he fought.

If anyone knows anything about boxing, you could see that from any perspective if its power, speed, or the technical aspects that his boxing is top notch. If people dont, they they are clueless or just dont know what they are talking about.

He could never beat Klitchko.......I think that was a fantasy. But he is easiliy amongst he best boxers in MMA and the best at HW.

Junior got completely schooled and nearly dropped by a 168 pound pan-American boxer(who padded his record by fighting less than reputable competition). He wouldn't even be on the last place in the Olympics, they'd just say "Go home kid, this isn't for you." after he gets knocked the f out in the first 30 seconds.

First of all, most boxers pad their records, from what I understand.
Second, what does sparring against a smaller and a lot faster boxer who actually boxes for a living, and at a pretty high level at that, prove anything? Boxing for mma only overlaps with actual boxing in a few areas, the two are very different.
The only relevant question is how would JDS look after only focusing on boxing-boxing for a year or so?

People keep talking about JDS nit looking right because of the wrestling factor.

His "boxing" didn't look good at any point. Not when they traded, not when he was getting hit with ease. At one point he got hit with a 3 punch combo, and I could tell he was trying to use head movement, but his movement was so horrid all 3 punches hit him. The guy can't "box". Can he punch, sure. If he would have worked the jab more, actually had decent footwork, and pressed Cain he would of had a lot more success, but he can't do any of that, because he's not a good boxer. Only thing he has is quick hands for a UFC hw with some power and good take down defense.

After watching that fight, I could easily see someone like David Haye dominating the UFC HW division. Even without wrestling, I literally couldn't see Haye losing to any MMA HW.

So your going to base his boxing ability from one fight, where he was dazed and gassed, could barely standup at times, as opposed to what he's done in the past 4 years destroying everyone that he's fought???

Your a complete fool and should just stop posting on this topic.

Haye would have knocked Cain out if he pressured like that against him. Just like he did Chisora.

lolwut? You must be trolling. Otherwise that's literally the stupidest thing I think I've read all year.

As far as head/foot movement its Edgar by a long shot.

I believe he does. But Cain's wrestling is what neutralized level playing field. JDS was distracted by Cain's relentless takedown attempts and got caught. According to JDS, he's been preparing for the fight with BJJ, which he didn't want to display. But in a pure boxing match, I think dos Santos knocks out every HW in the UFC.

In the HW division, Kharitonov and Arlovski have better "by the book" technique than JDS. But not everything has to be by the book to be effective.

I believe he does. But Cain's wrestling is what neutralized level playing field. JDS was distracted by Cain's relentless takedown attempts and got caught. According to JDS, he's been preparing for the fight with BJJ, which he didn't want to display. But in a pure boxing match, I think dos Santos knocks out every HW in the UFC.

He did want to use his BJJ on Sat.......he said it was his corner that kept telling him to get up every single time.

In the HW division, Kharitonov and Arlovski have better "by the book" technique than JDS. But not everything has to be by the book to be effective.

Very true.....some of the best guys in boxing from Jones Jr to Calzaghe or Margarito dont have by the book or super tehcnical boxing. But they are great boxers.

He did want to use his BJJ on Sat.......he said it was his corner that kept telling him to get up every single time.

It would have made zero difference. He is not Werdum, and even him probably doesn't stand much of a chance from his guard.

that was always a joke statement to begin with. JDS is more of a brawler than technical boxer

it was all hype and everyone drank the koolaid

So your going to base his boxing ability from one fight, where he was dazed and gassed, could barely standup at times, as opposed to what he's done in the past 4 years destroying everyone that he's fought???

Your a complete fool and should just stop posting on this topic.

Who has he destroyed that can box?

I'll wait.

lolwut? You must be trolling. Otherwise that's literally the stupidest thing I think I've read all year.

Why? Haye would be by far the most athletic HW in the UFC. He would probably have the most power to.

The octagon is damn there twice as big as any boxing ring and Haye can use his feet pretty well. There's no true corners in the Octagon and even if there were, no UFC HW can cut off the ring anyways.

From what I saw last night, if those two are the best HW's in a shallow HW division, then I fully believe Haye would be HW champ if he gave it a true effort. He won't though.

I expect everyone to call me an idiot, but if I'm not mistaken, people run around that huge ass Octagon all the time, and win by points. If you don't think someone Like Haye could do that, then I would tell you no one could. No one in the UFC would stand up to a flush shot by Haye and Cain surely wouldn't be dodging one either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back