smith machine and lifting

peanut butter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
im seriously considering buying a smith machine as im just staring to get serious into lifting and train on my own. i thought it would helpful because of of this and also allows me 2 do the basics . whats your opinions on smith machines.

also could i have a list of the best basic strength movements that i need to consider as part of my routine.

cheers

It's gonna get extremely hot in this place.

Prepare to be burned.

Do a search and you'll see what most people think about the Smith machine. In short, it locks you into one range of motion so it sucks!

Save your money and buy a rack with a barbell and a bunch of plates!!

I don't get why some people are so afraid of free weights.

This isn't exactly directed at you peanut butter.

just a safety thing if i cant get it up in the bench or stuck at the bottom in the squat. and im not build for the squat either so need bit of reasurance. i dont want to sound like a twat but there you go.

peanut butter said:
just a safety thing if i cant get it up in the bench or stuck at the bottom in the squat. and im not build for the squat either so need bit of reasurance. i dont want to sound like a twat but there you go.

Don't lift weights. You're not ready.

Then don't do something you can't do or train to failure.

well wats the best thing i should buy considering im in my garage and doing it on my own. exercises too

peanut butter said:
wats the advantages of that

Free range of motion, Works out the stabilizers, can remove the bar at will.

Just simply better than a smith machine for training.

92563n.gif

see those bars? those are your spotters when lifting alone.

They have pins that you can place at different heights so if you get stuck at the bottom of a squat for example, you could drop down so the bar rests on the pins, then crawl out. They're great in the fact that, when combined with an adjustable bench, you can do pretty much any movement imaginable ...with just two pieces of equipment. Bench, inclines, over heads, squat, good mornings, shrugs, and all the variations of these plus more. Smith machines teach virtually no coordination since they require no balance or control of the weight. Power racks are cheaper and you'd still probably have to buy a bar anyway with a smith machine since its limited plane of movement won't allow you to do certain movements.

When the bar falls down in the smith machine, its gonna go all the way down.

And a world of hurt will inflict on you.

Back