Smartphones and car accidents

Henry Swanson

Excitement’s my game
@plutonium
Reaction score
So I was driving home from work yesterday and coming up to a red light the guy in front of me rear ended the car in front of him.

The two parties exit their vehicles and the guy in front of me very apologetically tells the people he hit "I'm so sorry, let me give you my information." Everything was fine until one of the occupants of the car that got hit, pulled out her phone and started filming the guy.

He politely asks her if she could stop filming him to which she responds "I need to keep a record of this and I have every right to tape this." So his response to that was "ok, here's my info lets just do this through ICBC. I'm not saying anything else because you're filming me though" Then he refused to speak any further and was trying to leave. But they wouldn't pull over to let him leave accusing him of abandoning the scene of an accident. So the cops had to be called in to mediate.

Anyone else witness something like this? It's something I haven't really thought about. But with how common smartphones are these days I could see this type of escalation being quite common.

Last edited:
That's what I plan on doing if I get into an accident that's not my fault. I will record what the other person says but I probably won't be so obvious about it. Call police to get report then record audio with phone in Pocket. It's too easy for a guy to say it wasn't his fault after the fact, but at the scene if it's obviously one parties fault they'll usually admit it

I have cameras in the front and rear of my vehicles.

I'm trying to imagine how I would react if someone started filming me. I think I would naturally want to look away and not say anything.

It was a chick doing the filming.

I can totally picture that shit show.

That would really piss me off.

It was a chick doing the filming.

I can totally picture that shit show.

That would really piss me off.

Yeah the people who got hit were an older couple. The woman doing the filming looked to be their daughter. Even though it was in her right to film the exchange I did find it quite irritating when he came over and started asking me questions with the camera. She even asked me to take my sunglasses off and I was like "nope."

Yeah the people who got hit were an older couple. The woman doing the filming looked to be their daughter. Even though it was in her right to film the exchange I did find it quite irritating when he came over and started asking me questions with the camera. She even asked me to take my sunglasses off and I was like "nope."

Screw that.

Take my sunglasses off??

Nah, I'm good.

Screw that.

Take my sunglasses off??

Nah, I'm good.

Yeah. She was asking for my info but by then I knew they had called the cops. So I told her very politely I would wait until they arrived.

She really wanted me to blow it up on film it seemed but I just remained calm and monotone which seemed to piss her off.

I felt bad for the cops because they reported this as an accident when it was really just a minor fender bender. The whole ordeal was pointless in the end because the dude admitted from the get go that he hit them and that it was his fault but he refused to say it on camera. He told the cops the same thing.

Yeah. She was asking for my info but by then I knew they had called the cops. So I told her very politely I would wait until they arrived.

She really wanted me to blow it up on film it seemed but I just remained calm and monotone which seemed to piss her off.

I felt bad for the cops because they reported this as an accident when it was really just a minor fender bender. The whole ordeal was pointless in the end because the dude admitted from the get go that he hit them and that it was his fault but he refused to say it on camera. He told the cops the same thing.

Completely unnecessary.

What sucks is that chick probably thought/thinks that she's some kind of badass or has that "It's totally my right to film you " attitude.

Sounds like an entitled bitch, tbh.

Completely unnecessary.

What sucks is that chick probably thought/thinks that she's some kind of badass or has that "It's totally my right to film you " attitude.

Sounds like an entitled bitch, tbh.

You know how it is. Everyone is an expert on law these days.

You know how it is. Everyone is an expert on law these days.

That's true.

I miss the good old days when you could do shit without the fear of being filmed and it popping up somewhere. 🎥

That's true.

I miss the good old days when you could do shit without the fear of being filmed and it popping up somewhere. 🎥

The big thing around here these days is filming a dog left in a car and the confronting the owner. One of them I saw, the driver of the car had pulled over to drop a letter off in the mail box halfway up the block. He claimed that the dog was only left alone for less than a minute but the person filming was having none of it. Turned into a big altercation.

The hilarious thing about that is that the woman posted the vid and it kind of backfired on her. People were calling her a bitch and telling he to mind her own business.

I'm not really getting it, but why did they ask you questions? Wasn't the incident with the 2 cars in front of you?

Did she say why she wanted you to take your glasses off? Maybe she wanted to see if your eyes are as pretty as the rest of you?

It's a popular thing I guess. I'm a paramedic and I've had a few people lately record entire calls.

It's annoying and seems really silly to me tbh.

I'm not really getting it, but why did they ask you questions? Wasn't the incident with the 2 cars in front of you?

They were asking me questions because I saw the accident. I was behind the guy who hit them.

It went like this for the most part

"Did you see what happened?"

"Yeah that guy rear ended you."

"Can you take of your glasses?"

"Nope"

"Why not?"

"I'll wait until the cops get here."

I know what you're all thinking and the answer is yes, everyone involved was Asian. This occurred in Vancouver BC after all, the jewel of the orient.

It's a popular thing I guess. I'm a paramedic and I've had a few people lately record entire calls.

It's annoying and seems really silly to me tbh.

The funny thing to me about your case in particular is that I would think video evidence is more likely to support the professional in case of any dispute, isn't it?

The person's behaviour seemed a little excessive for a fender bender but it seems like the kind of thing someone might do if they had been through that kind of thing before.

Back