Car dealerships how do these people sleep?

method115

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
I went to buy a new car yesterday. I'm a simple man. Just wanted a base model Corolla brand new that's it. Found the lowest price and went to buy it. Guy comes back says my credit is excellent lets get it going. I got off work a bit early and was on-call that day so was distracted with emails coming in while doing all of this.

He comes back with the price\payments and a 21k car is now requiring me to finance 31k from them. I look over it and he's added just under 6k in accessories. I look at this guy and say what's with these accessories and what am I getting. This is where I damn near lost my shit.

- window tint
- nitrous air in tires
- front bumper protection from chips/damage
- some special coating on the car.
- roadside assistance type thing.

I got up and said Thanks man but the other dealership I got my car from posted a price online and then sold it to me for that exact price. I only came here cause you guys were 1k cheaper. He gets up and says hold on let me talk to my manager we can't have that other dealership beating us in prices. Comes back and miraculously the 6k is removed. Shows me the monthly cost and I'm kind of just pausing cause I'm confused but I think whatever the total price looks fine and he has me sign some shit saying I saw the monthly cost\price and I'm ok with it. Then they have me wait for the finance guy.

As I'm waiting I'm starting to realize the monthly payment plus the amount of money I need to borrow makes no sense. I hop on capital ones site and quickly get preapproved from them and I see my monthly payment drop around $50 instantly. This was just randomly picking a car that was a similar price. At this point I almost walked out but I've been there for two hours and I hate this whole process. I just wanted my car and to leave. So I get back to the financing guy and show him all this and I'm like this isn't adding up. Then he shows me the paper I signed and I'm like "yes and...". Then he tries to tell me the prepproval doesn't have your real apr. I'm like unless my APR triples there's no way my payments will be as high as what you guys are offering. After I threaten to just leave because I can find a better deal he leaves the office and comes back dropping my payments by $77 a month.

Long story short the dealership tried to add 6k in BS accessories that was instantly removed the minute I threatened to leave. Then tried to stick me with a monthly car payment that made no sense when using a loan calculator.

I don't understand how anyone can work like this. Essentially just BSing people and trying to get as much money out of them as you can. The funny thing is I'm realizing now that the last time I bought another corolla in 2020 that they most likely artificially raised my monthly payment at that time to. At least that dealership didn't try to stick with me a bunch of BS accessories.

The most annoying shit to is the financing guy kept asking. Well what do you want your monthly payments to be what can you afford. I was like I can afford all of this, I can afford to double the car payments if I need to but I'm not just handing you guys free money. I want the lowest possible monthly payment I can get that's my goal.

I've been through that a couple of times until I found a place that doesn't haggle and try to sell you lots of BS. I also go to my credit union and get pre-approved. I tell them unless you beat my pre-approved finance rate from the credit union I won't be financing with them. They never beat it. I've bought numerous cars at this dealership for years. It's similar to CarMax but a local place I always shop around on the internet.

What do you expect traditional car dealership they gonna sell you hard . they sleep great in expensive sheets as for every guy like you there are probably 10 who allow themselves to get tricked and bullied by the tried and true sales tactics

I've been through that a couple of times until I found a place that doesn't haggle and try to sell you lots of BS. I also go to my credit union and get pre-approved. I tell them unless you beat my pre-approved finance rate from the credit union I won't be financing with them. They never beat it. I've bought numerous cars at this dealership for years. It's similar to CarMax but a local place I always shop around on the internet.

Yea the place I got my corolla at in 2020 was straight forward and didn't try to BS me. I do think they raised my monthly payment beyond what it should have been but I can't verify that right now. They matched the APR and I was fine with that. This dealership was offering me a better APR than capital one but the monthly payment was still higher. I've just never seen something like that before.

Well said they are scum.

We bought my wife a 2022 suv last year brand new. Im their worst enemy. She did the test drive with them alone. Then I came in and informed them that we are paying cash and won't be buying any warranties. We are self insured.

A decade ago I applied for a loan at a dealership and got approved for prime 2.99 rate. A day later they slide the paper across the desk and it's 3.99. My wife caught it and I almost walked until they fixed it.

Just know they make very little on the vehicle. They make their money on the loan and the warrantees.

If you want minimal to no haggle and get a reasonable price on a new car your best bet is to do it online. You can go through a service such as Costco, True Car, etc or you can email multiple dealerships internet sales team to hopefully beat whatever price you can get through any of the other services. Make sure to do your homework and look at dealership inventory before you make a move.

Also of course what you pay at the end of taking a loan will be significantly higher than cash price. Interest rates are high so if you're doing a 60-72 month loan at 7% you're paying a decent amount of interest. Sometimes dealerships have finance incentives so be on the look out for those.

Wow just reading that reminded me of the battle at Infiniti when I was trying to get a basic G35 back in the day.
Almost had to submit the finance manager for pulling some shenanigans.

MSRP - on sticker is maximum price to pay. Finance elsewhere if possible.

Accessories were dealer added... tough on them, don't pay a dime over MSRP.

I can’t wait for the dealership model to be scrapped entirely. Too many soft handed sissies I grew up with did nothing with their lives then ended up car salesmen. Now they think they’re king shit for ripping people off and have an air of self importance I can’t stand. Some of these guys are lucky to even have jobs. Half of them can’t even change a tire or even list 5 car parts.

The dealership model sucks. The only career I hate (besides politicians) as much as car salesmen is real estate agents. Both these people are leeches that get in the way of me purchasing something. Both are totally useless for the most part in this day and age.

Shoutout to the real estate agent (my close friends’ ex girlfriend lol) who got me an obscene sum of money for my home unprompted from some come from aways tho. I literally made almost 6 figures pure profit because some agent sold them a dream of living in the middle of fucking nowhere. Good thing there’s not winter yet or they’d be trying to find me to undo it probably. Can’t wait to build on my new land this spring thanks to these people from Ontario who made me rich!

Curious what would have happened if you left the first salesperson and went straight to another one at same dealership and asked for no bullshit transaction.

Can't expect a salesperson to not be slimy.

Serious why they can play like that: money, greed and some people are just born to be unhonest manipulative assholes.

How they sleep is doing coke 16 times per day and then crashing. You're overthinking it man.

I would never waste my time going into a dealership to by a NEW car... there's no need. Most dealerships will sell you the car over the phone and deliver it, the ones that won't shouldn't be trusted anyway.

Pretty rough i would imagine with the gasses and hard floors its not an ideal place to sleep but its what they deserve. All my cars i bought over the years have been cash. I would rather buy a piece of junk than finance a great car. With cash its 1 transaction and your done with them. Financing a car is like paying to get dicked down. No thanks.

Back