Small tast of our Warm Up

now I am not a hater, nor am I Brad Pitt myself, and I am a super super heavy

But why the fuck does the dude in the red gi top have bangs on the side of his head? and bald

He is an Orthodox Jew. So its a religious thing.

ok. let me knsow if the next vid i post is boring. you will see it tomorrow night.

who was sitting around? we started with bridges.

I personally always improved my game doing things slow first and then later picking up the pace. thats what worked for me.

you're acting as if you're surprised your warm up video is boring. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with a warm up being boring, but it's not really something you should post on the internet... because it's so damn boring.
here's what you did:

-bridging, leg circles, kick up reach out, walk on hands and feet, shrimping
pretty standard if you ask me, not groundbreaking. w/e

-seal walking, butt dragging, 2 and a half minutes of neck stretching
the butt drag and seal walk look weird. again, w/e. the stretching? putting it in a video????? 2.5 minutes of it??? excessive.

-bridging on head
kind of dangerous. w/e.

if it makes you happy fine, who cares what we say, right?
what we're saying tho, is that it's not really a video worth watching (or setting to music to)

Either way it shows a passion for the art/sport, and that's something everyone should be able to see/agree upon.

Sigh..that is not a warm up. Completing that circuit 2-4 times would be a nice warm up, but 20-25 minutes? What you just listed is a workout/S&C. I don't care what you and your academy call it, that's a full blast (and hard) workout. Furthermore, I would venture to guess that no more than 2% of the class (at best) could actually make it through that workout with no rest. One round of that circuit would take someone about 1.5 min-2 min to get through so we're talking about 10-15 rounds for the given time. That would turn out to be (at the slower pace) 200 KB swings, 100 pushups, 150 dips, 60 pullups, etc with no rest.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Except for the 2% part.

This is how we start off the advanced class. People go at their own pace, but there's no rest period built into the workout and the group as a whole typically finishes about 10-12 rounds or so.

You can call it a warmup or you can call it S&C, I don't really care. It comes at the beginning of class.

I'm looking at BJJ schools in SF and the Ralph Gracie gym led by Kurt Osiander was probably more like 40 minutes. And TOUGH. I'm not in amazing shape but pretty damn good and it was killing me. I have a strong wrestling background and it was a lot like that. Shit, there was another visitor that day who wasn't hanging nearly as well as me and dudes were getting on him about keeping up.

Made the technique portion difficult BUT those guys are scrappy because of it.

LOL, yeah Ralph's is a fight gym/torture gym disguised as a BJJ academy.:icon_chee

Yikes, looks like you got a tough crowd in this thread. Usually the grappling forum is a little more tame.

Decent warm up, was there some type of jogging, wrestler shuffle, skipping, high knees, etc. before this?

Do you know the lizard walk? That is one that i think all gyms should do during there warmup.

Also on a side note, i know you want to warm up properly also, but i would suggest that the instructor is not just doing the warm up along side his students, but walking around making sure his students are doing it right. Especially with a student base like that in the video. Damn near every drill had at least 2 people kinda half assing it or just not knowing how to use proper technique. Something to think about.

Now onto another question. Your shrimping? Recently i have been taught when shrimping to lift my hips first (kinda like you do when you bridge) and then shrimp out to the side. What are your thoughts on this, have you seen it done this way?

Can you explain this better to me?

When most instructors announce that its open mat time, they typically dont make sure everyone gets a chance to roll they separate themselves from the class to a certain extent. At places I trained in the past, I noticed some guys would not get a chance to roll at all, cause of the whole clique nature that exists at most places. So I make sure everyone gets to train all the time.

When most instructors announce that its open mat time, they typically dont make sure everyone gets a chance to roll they separate themselves from the class to a certain extent. At places I trained in the past, I noticed some guys would not get a chance to roll at all, cause of the whole clique nature that exists at most places. So I make sure everyone gets to train all the time.

Nice, i thought you were saying you just don't have your guys roll after class, instead you have a seperate day for rolling.

I know that alot of people will skip out on the "rolling after class" or rolling at the end of class because they are....

A). Unsure of there skill
B). To tired and allow themselves to talk themselves out of it.
C). Don't want to roll with better people and get worked
D). Arn't in good enough shape to roll for a full 3 or 5 minutes.

I think its the instructors job to get these people to roll and to make sure they are rolling with the right people. Sounds like that is your train of thought also.

Another thing that has been talked alot about in other threads in here are positional games. Little 1 minute battles for position. Like one guy on top side control and the object is for top guy to get to mount and for the bottom guy to regain guard.

or

One guy in anothers guard. One guy has to pass and control a position while the other is looking to keep guard or sweep.

These types of situational games really improved my game. I think they are very important. Do you do anything like this?

Yikes, looks like you got a tough crowd in this thread. Usually the grappling forum is a little more tame.

Decent warm up, was there some type of jogging, wrestler shuffle, skipping, high knees, etc. before this?

Do you know the lizard walk? That is one that i think all gyms should do during there warmup.

Also on a side note, i know you want to warm up properly also, but i would suggest that the instructor is not just doing the warm up along side his students, but walking around making sure his students are doing it right. Especially with a student base like that in the video. Damn near every drill had at least 2 people kinda half assing it or just not knowing how to use proper technique. Something to think about.

Now onto another question. Your shrimping? Recently i have been taught when shrimping to lift my hips first (kinda like you do when you bridge) and then shrimp out to the side. What are your thoughts on this, have you seen it done this way?

The reason I warm up with the students most of the time is if they need to see it live then can just look at me. Sometimes its easier to learn visually.

When it comes to shrimping I have done both methods, bridging first and not at all. I have found that when trying to escape sometimes you cant always bridge first

Nice, i thought you were saying you just don't have your guys roll after class, instead you have a seperate day for rolling.

I know that alot of people will skip out on the "rolling after class" or rolling at the end of class because they are....

A). Unsure of there skill
B). To tired and allow themselves to talk themselves out of it.
C). Don't want to roll with better people and get worked
D). Arn't in good enough shape to roll for a full 3 or 5 minutes.

I think its the instructors job to get these people to roll and to make sure they are rolling with the right people. Sounds like that is your train of thought also.

Another thing that has been talked alot about in other threads in here are positional games. Little 1 minute battles for position. Like one guy on top side control and the object is for top guy to get to mount and for the bottom guy to regain guard.

or

One guy in anothers guard. One guy has to pass and control a position while the other is looking to keep guard or sweep.

These types of situational games really improved my game. I think they are very important. Do you do anything like this?

Oh we do plenty of that. On Saturday for example we do 30 minutes of guard passing and sweeping. There is no submissions when we do this and most Saturdays we only do this in the second half of the class.

Hey guys, I wanted to share this with you. Its a small excerpt of our Warm Up, which is usually 20-25 minutes long. Thoughts?

YouTube - RED DAWN COMBAT CLUB - BJJ WARM UP

Thanks for the video! I am a bigger guy myself...okay that's putting it nicely I AM FA, FA, FAT!! And have wanted to try and train BJJ for quite some time. But have been reluctant because of my size and lack of agiliaty. However, I noticed a bigger guy in the video and he appeared to be doing fine. So thanks again!

Ill be back in a week with my black belt (from burger king of course)

Damn, this is a warm-up? This looks like a warm-up for a warm-up, lol. I wish my warm-ups were that easy. Every time I finish the warm-ups, I look like I'm about to go in cardiac arrest.

Our school's like most here, we just get a quick stretch, some jogging and upa/shrimping in. We drill our techniques, and then we roll. I'm always nice and warmed up for the roll, so it's all good.

Not a critique on what you're doing, anyways. If you guys enjoy it, and it's getting results, then that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video! I am a bigger guy myself...okay that's putting it nicely I AM FA, FA, FAT!! And have wanted to try and train BJJ for quite some time. But have been reluctant because of my size and lack of agiliaty. However, I noticed a bigger guy in the video and he appeared to be doing fine. So thanks again!

Ill be back in a week with my black belt (from burger king of course)

I am glad that this helped you consider training BJJ. I see you are from Glendale, please come by and try a class with us. No one should, nor should be made to feel that they cannot do something because they are overweight. I really hate it when people mock others just because they are out of shape. But its up to you to change it and get healthy. Anyway glad to know that this was helpful to you.

Back