Small tast of our Warm Up

Hey guys, I wanted to share this with you. Its a small excerpt of our Warm Up, which is usually 20-25 minutes long. Thoughts?

YouTube - RED DAWN COMBAT CLUB - BJJ WARM UP

Hey I have a friend of mine looking to try out your school soon, I told him to give you guys a shot because the school looked good and seemed reputable. Anyways, I personally thought the warm up was a little on the lite side. My academy normally does a 10-15min warm up done in circuits an example is

Jog around grappling space 5 times then

25x Jumping Jacks
25x Push ups
25x mountain climbers

Jog around grappling space 5 times doing high knees then

10x sprawls
20x squat thirsts
20x mountain climbers

etc.... This continues on for around 4-6 rounds. But by the time its done your in full sweat mode, heart rate up and ready to go......strentch for a few mintues then technique and finally 4-8 grappling rounds of between 5 to 10mins per round depending on the class. Other classes we may do only 2 rounds of the above and finish warming up with takedown drills etc.

Hey I have a friend of mine looking to try out your school soon, I told him to give you guys a shot because the school looked good and seemed reputable. Anyways, I personally thought the warm up was a little on the lite side. My academy normally does a 10-15min warm up done in circuits an example is

Jog around grappling space 5 times then

25x Jumping Jacks
25x Push ups
25x mountain climbers

Jog around grappling space 5 times doing high knees then

10x sprawls
20x squat thirsts
20x mountain climbers

etc.... This continues on for around 4-6 rounds. But by the time its done your in full sweat mode, heart rate up and ready to go......strentch for a few mintues then technique and finally 4-8 grappling rounds of between 5 to 10mins per round depending on the class. Other classes we may do only 2 rounds of the above and finish warming up with takedown drills etc.

Thanks for the recommendation. Again that was a small sample. There was actually more there that I edited out, cause its was orignally a longe vid. I wanted to show a little of everything.

wow, where do I start?

1. Your partners look very unmotivated. Everyone seems as if they are dragging.

2. Why are half of your partners in full gi, some in no-gi and the rest in "sambo" uniform?

3. You have guys walking in late? Geez. They don't bow and show respect by entering and leaving the mats? And they don't show any respect to the instructor by acknowledging him. I am assuming the instructor is the purple belt.

4. More than half of the guys are out of shape. They are huffing and puffing on the animal walks. Wow. And it's just 10 feet from one wall to another?

Why are you posting this? Are you trying to tell us how superior your warmups are?

1. why are you a hater
2. why are you so angry
3. who is unmotivated, maybe they are just focused?
4. yeah imagine that people work for a living and maybe they came to class late. that can never happen in real life.
5. so what if people are out of shape....thats why they train....
6. posting this to share how we do things. how about you post and not simply hate on people for no reason.

:icon_neut

this thread didn't quite go as you'd hoped huh?

I cant understand the anger that people have to those they dont even know. its weird to me. But I dont doubt myself. When I got my Purple Belt, I got from Leonardo Xavier and Royler Gracie. Their opinions far outweigh those of any haters here. I think they know a little bit more about BJJ. dont get me wrong, i know my weaknesses, but i am man enough to say i have them, and not simply bash people from behing a keyboard.

how can you do grappling, any type of grappling and have a weak neck?

i guess you never been neck cranked.

Well stretching a muscle loses most of its effectiveness after 30 seconds, if you cover the 4 main directions that should take 2-2.5 minutes. I can see some point in strengthening the neck, but I haven't done any and it has never been a problem. A neck crank is just an attack on the cervical spine, do to leverage and the muscles used to attack the spine, the neck muscles would have to be disproportionally large. If you fight the pull you can likely cause a muscle strain and then cause the point of rotation about a lower portion of the spine, which although less injury prone will still accomplish the same goal. It is best to relax the muscles and allow the musculoskeletal system to adapt to the movement. The neck is meant to move and be flexible, not rigid.

Thanks for the vid RDCC always good to see how other gyms train.

Don't mind the haters.

Too much hate in this thread, the warm up is fine man, in fact like others said it looks like lotsa guys in there need to get into better shape so doing all this is good.

As long as you guys are training and doing something for fitness + the actual martial art aspect of it it is all good in my books, but I must say those hip escapes is sooo slow???
I think I should film our own warm up to see how slow I look on camera!

nothing wrong with a little hate. the first 2 minutes of the video were sitting around set to music. not that inspiring and kind of a bore to watch.

nothing wrong with a little hate. the first 2 minutes of the video were sitting around set to music. not that inspiring and kind of a bore to watch.

ok. let me knsow if the next vid i post is boring. you will see it tomorrow night.

who was sitting around? we started with bridges.

I personally always improved my game doing things slow first and then later picking up the pace. thats what worked for me.

Too much hate in this thread, the warm up is fine man, in fact like others said it looks like lotsa guys in there need to get into better shape so doing all this is good.

As long as you guys are training and doing something for fitness + the actual martial art aspect of it it is all good in my books, but I must say those hip escapes is sooo slow???
I think I should film our own warm up to see how slow I look on camera!

I did hip escapes slow because not everyone is at the same fitness level and cant do it fast. you dont motivate people by showing them how slow they actually are compared to others. So i tell everyone to do slow concentrated movements especially for hip escapes since it the core, lower back, hamstrings, calves.

1. why are you a hater
2. why are you so angry
3. who is unmotivated, maybe they are just focused?
4. yeah imagine that people work for a living and maybe they came to class late. that can never happen in real life.
5. so what if people are out of shape....thats why they train....
6. posting this to share how we do things. how about you post and not simply hate on people for no reason.

I am not a hater, I apologize if I seemed like one.
2. Watching the video, it seems like your partners are just dragging their feet from one end to another, in a slumping way (head down, dragging feet, walking very slowly). They just dont seem motivated.
3. I understand people come in late, but in the video it seems like it's ok to come in late or whenever you can. It's ok to come in late to skip that "grueling" warmup and go into jiujitsu. The ones that came in late show no acknowledge to the instructor. If I came in late, I would apologoze to the instructor and ask him if it's ok for me to join in the class. I guess, it's a respect issue. Not everyone has the same protocols.
5. Ok. Good point.
6. You post your video for feedback. We gave you feedback. If you don't want feedback, don't post it in a public forum.

2. Watching the video, it seems like your partners are just dragging their feet from one end to another, in a slumping way (head down, dragging feet, walking very slowly). They just dont seem motivated.
3. I understand people come in late, but in the video it seems like it's ok to come in late or whenever you can. It's ok to come in late to skip that "grueling" warmup and go into jiujitsu. The ones that came in late show no acknowledge to the instructor. If I came in late, I would apologoze to the instructor and ask him if it's ok for me to join in the class. I guess, it's a respect issue. Not everyone has the same protocols.
5. Ok. Good point.
6. You post your video for feedback. We gave you feedback. If you don't want feedback, don't post it in a public forum.

Feedback is more than welcomed. how you present it is also important. i dont force people to bow just like i dont force them to call me Sensei or Professor or whatever.i grew up training Karate so i know where u are coming from. and there is nothing wrong with the traditional method, but it doesnt always work with everyone. so i dont require it. but everyone is respectful.

thanks for the feedback

So i tell everyone to do slow concentrated movements especially for hip escapes since it the core, lower back, hamstrings, calves.

Ok that is cool then! As I was like man if that is how they escape while rolling I could be in their side control all day long! Otherwise warm up is fine, they can all get some rest during the technique of the day timeslot!

Ok that is cool then! As I was like man if that is how they escape while rolling I could be in their side control all day long! Otherwise warm up is fine, they can all get some rest during the technique of the day timeslot!

Here is a clip of some rolling we did Tuesday night

YouTube - Rolling at RDCC

Tonight we did a lot of Throws, clip coming soon......

never really understood the 30 minute warm up thing...seems more like filler than anything. we stretch, do some rolls/shrimps for a couple minutes, then go right into technique. after 45 minutes of drilling technique, you're plenty ready for rolling.

now I am not a hater, nor am I Brad Pitt myself, and I am a super super heavy

But why the fuck does the dude in the red gi top have bangs on the side of his head? and bald

warm up
Run in a circle, step overs, picking apples
jumping jack
shrimps
bridges
wax on wax of with your legs
roll over your shoulder backwards

then reps of armbar, triangle and kimura from guard, 20 each

some strectching, should take more then 20 minutes

5. Ok. Good point.

Dude change your name.

Back