Small tast of our Warm Up

I like doing 20 min technical instruction and then 20 minutes of 3 minute drilling rounds followed by 20 minutes of positional sparring/rolling. There's always open mat after for conditioning or more rolling. Lots of the guys where I train do individual warm ups for about 5-10 minutes before class depending on their specific needs.

wow, where do I start?

1. Your partners look very unmotivated. Everyone seems as if they are dragging.

2. Why are half of your partners in full gi, some in no-gi and the rest in "sambo" uniform?

3. You have guys walking in late? Geez. They don't bow and show respect by entering and leaving the mats? And they don't show any respect to the instructor by acknowledging him. I am assuming the instructor is the purple belt.

4. More than half of the guys are out of shape. They are huffing and puffing on the animal walks. Wow. And it's just 10 feet from one wall to another?

Why are you posting this? Are you trying to tell us how superior your warmups are?

I like doing 20 min technical instruction and then 20 minutes of 3 minute drilling rounds followed by 20 minutes of positional sparring/rolling. There's always open mat after for conditioning or more rolling. Lots of the guys where I train do individual warm ups for about 5-10 minutes before class depending on their specific needs.

I have trained at places that do similar and I have noticed that people who form cliques. I didnt want that to happen at our place. I want everyone to train together, warm up together, do drills together, etc.

We dont do open mat time as part of class. We have an open roll day, where all we do is roll. But I dont believe in open mat cause as a instructor I feel I should always run the class.

I have trained at places that do similar and I have noticed that people who form cliques. I didnt want that to happen at our place. I want everyone to train together, warm up together, do drills together, etc.

We dont do open mat time as part of class. We have an open roll day, where all we do is roll. But I dont believe in open mat cause as a instructor I feel I should always run the class.

:icon_neut

this thread didn't quite go as you'd hoped huh?

Try having husband and wife ex Marine drill instructor running your warmups.

Good times.

Seems a little bit much on alot of things that you have no use for in jiu jitsu. We do takedowns and takedown defence for the warmups.

I think your cousins with my friends and training partners mike and dave from shaolins

No Warm Up is usually 20 minutes.

I cant figure out why it would be bizarre for someone to see other martial art equipment on the wall considering that many BJJ schools are run out of other Martial Art school.

Sometimes we warm up doing Takedown Drills, Guard Passing Drills, etc. But we always dedicate at least 20 minutes to a good Warm Up for several reasons. The first being that not everyone who trains has time to train outside the dojo (i.e. the gym) so we want to give people as much of a workout as possible including a thorough warm up, drills, technique, and finally stretching and cool down. I think this is what every school should have.

Of course people pay for BJJ and not just working out. However, BJJ requires a lot muscular endurance, range of motion, explosiveness, and as you get better, mental toughness. Is this lost of anyone here? I would think everyone who has trained for a while would think similarly. Dont worry we work on plenty of techniques. We incorporate a lot of Sambo and Judo in our BJJ classes. Be on the lookout and you will see some of our Takedown drills!

Yeah makes sense. Your warmup sounds solid. I guess I read this and remembered a place I went that had this insane warmup that seemed like 35/40 minutes and by the end I was exhausted (as was the class). Then we did a bunch of sloppy technique cause everyone was sweaty and tired. By the time we rolled some guys were so tired that only a few guys had good rolls.

Seemed like a lot of the guys could go to the gym and get the same type of workout in.

Also why is everyone hating on this poor guy? His teammates are "unmotivated" or "out of shape"? Who gives a shit? Atleast he uploaded it. Most of you are probably bitchy white or blue belts anyway....

Interesting to see how other gyms run. I've only ever trained at one gym (little over 2 years - I'm a blue), so I guess I just assumed that most gyms operated in similar ways. I've always thought that our 'warmups' were pretty strenuous, but according to what I'm seeing here, some of you guys would call this too much (typical warm up is as follows - time breakdown is approximate):

5 minutes jogging/high knees
10-15 minutes of floor drills (shoulder rolls/shrimping/standing in base, etc)
10-20 minutes of stretching/conditioning (50-100 burpees [sets of 10], 150-200 reps of various core exercises, pushups, partner drills, etc) all mixed in with various stretches

Whole thing takes about 30-40 minutes of a 1.5 hour class, depending on what kind of mood our instructor is in. Not all that bad, if it weren't for all those F'n burpees :D Then it's generally half an hour drilling new technique/position, 20-30 minutes rolling.

Thoughts?

You guys make me laugh! We will sometimes do 10 minutes of just Neck Exercises! Running around for 5-10 minutes??? How just that even transfer over to Grappling?

How does 10 minutes of neck exercises?

I think your cousins with my friends and training partners mike and dave from shaolins

Thats me! Dave actually comes by on Sundays and trains with us. Mike has insane Judo. I learned a lot just from practicing against him.

I've never had much of a problem with cliques in a negative way during my classes when i run them that way. I make sure to have people switch partners a lot during drilling ad the positional sparring involves rotating partners which gets everyone to train with each other. I respect that you want everyone to train together and avoid cliques. That's a good thing to have in a school if done well.

The open mat isn't really part of class but rather just open time that is there after every class until people get tired or I lock up for the day.

Also why is everyone hating on this poor guy? His teammates are "unmotivated" or "out of shape"? Who gives a shit? Atleast he uploaded it. Most of you are probably bitchy white or blue belts anyway....

See I am not even getting upset. Believe me I know we have a solid spot. We are not the best fighters around or whatever, but we aint no slouches either. That guy that some of you are hating one with the red gi and shorts is one of our blue belts. He has repeatedly tossed around and submitted a Master of Sport in Sambo from NY and basically embarassed a Purple Belt from a very top school in Long Island. I am not saying to try to say we are the shit. I hate it when people compare schools simply based on name recognition. But if people want to start talking about legitimacy or whatever then i will bring it up.

My goal here was to share some of how we warm up and what not. if you think its bullshit, you are entitled to your opinion. lets see you post a video of your warm ups, techniques, and competitions. let your skills talk for you. I dont hate on anyone. i try to learn from everybody.

Supereem, the second part was directed at the haters. good looking out.

I never understood the hate for colored gis? are you a judo guy?

I trained in Judo and Sambo because i didnt like how in BJJ most, just about every school, at least when i started back in 2001, didnt do any type of takedowns. Or only taught them to the higher ranking guys. So after I got my blue belt, I focused on Judo and Sambo. I have trained at Oishi Judo, Spartak Judo, and Modern Samurai. All of them great spots. I trained Sambo first with Alex Barakhov, Sambo Steve was the assistant instructor there at the time. Sambo Steve is a very good teacher by the way everyone and if you have a chance definately take the opportunity to learn from him. I then trained with David Rudman cause he took over teaching Sambo at Fighthouse at the time. But I am really a BJJ guy, who just prefers not be a Guard person, cause its not my thing. I like the top game more. I prefer to get the takedown, pass, and fight from the top.

Back