Small tast of our Warm Up

This looks like the most bizarre shit ever to me. As said why are there swords on the wall and some wearing GI's and some not. The guy in the red looks like Kyle from Tenacious D. Our warm ups look nothing like this we go hard and fast for 30min getting our heart rates up, then drill....

There's probably swords on the wall because it looks like its not a bjj school, looks like a different martial art's school that they use... I'm not 100 percent sure though.

I don't see why 25 minute warm ups would be considered long. At my club we do 30 minutes of warm up, followed by 30 minutes of technique, we finish up by doing 30 minutes of rolling. I don't feel like it's too long at all. Just my opinion though.

You were born in shape?

Just because someone is not as fit as you may be does not mean they put any less effort than you.

Someone who decides to make a change and get in shape has demonstrated that he or she is worthy of respect. The only thing you demonstrate with your statement is exactly whats wrong with Martial Arts today, and that is people who dont understand the purpose of training.

Great. They're worthy of respect...they put in effort...I don't understand the purpose of training.

Actually that warmup in the video looks much like ours. I thought someone said it was a 30 minutes warmup.

No Warm Up is usually 20 minutes.

I cant figure out why it would be bizarre for someone to see other martial art equipment on the wall considering that many BJJ schools are run out of other Martial Art school.

Sometimes we warm up doing Takedown Drills, Guard Passing Drills, etc. But we always dedicate at least 20 minutes to a good Warm Up for several reasons. The first being that not everyone who trains has time to train outside the dojo (i.e. the gym) so we want to give people as much of a workout as possible including a thorough warm up, drills, technique, and finally stretching and cool down. I think this is what every school should have.

Of course people pay for BJJ and not just working out. However, BJJ requires a lot muscular endurance, range of motion, explosiveness, and as you get better, mental toughness. Is this lost of anyone here? I would think everyone who has trained for a while would think similarly. Dont worry we work on plenty of techniques. We incorporate a lot of Sambo and Judo in our BJJ classes. Be on the lookout and you will see some of our Takedown drills!

wow, so 1.5 hour class = you need 25 min warmup?

fuck that.

you only have 24 hours in one day. you take bjj to learn bjj. 5 - 10 mins running around and then you do tech, so you will be good to go by the time you roll.

wow, so 1.5 hour class = you need 25 min warmup?

fuck that.

you only have 24 hours in one day. you take bjj to learn bjj. 5 - 10 mins running around and then you do tech, so you will be good to go by the time you roll.

You guys make me laugh! We will sometimes do 10 minutes of just Neck Exercises! Running around for 5-10 minutes??? How just that even transfer over to Grappling?

Last night's warmup:

20 kettlebell swings

10 bodyweight squats

10 push ups

20 mountain climbers

6 pull ups

15 dips

repeat for 20-25 minutes.

Sigh..that is not a warm up. Completing that circuit 2-4 times would be a nice warm up, but 20-25 minutes? What you just listed is a workout/S&C. I don't care what you and your academy call it, that's a full blast (and hard) workout. Furthermore, I would venture to guess that no more than 2% of the class (at best) could actually make it through that workout with no rest. One round of that circuit would take someone about 1.5 min-2 min to get through so we're talking about 10-15 rounds for the given time. That would turn out to be (at the slower pace) 200 KB swings, 100 pushups, 150 dips, 60 pullups, etc with no rest.

You guys make me laugh! We will sometimes do 10 minutes of just Neck Exercises! Running around for 5-10 minutes??? How just that even transfer over to Grappling?

Who the hell picked the music for the video? I thought I was watching sesame street?

I'm looking at BJJ schools in SF and the Ralph Gracie gym led by Kurt Osiander was probably more like 40 minutes. And TOUGH. I'm not in amazing shape but pretty damn good and it was killing me. I have a strong wrestling background and it was a lot like that. Shit, there was another visitor that day who wasn't hanging nearly as well as me and dudes were getting on him about keeping up.

Made the technique portion difficult BUT those guys are scrappy because of it.

30 minutes? screw that. I would rather roll for 20 of those 30 minutes and leave just ten minutes for warming up.

Who the hell picked the music for the video? I thought I was watching sesame street?

lol i liked the background music, easy to listen to when you just woke up.

Whats your instructors linage. TS?

lol i liked the background music, easy to listen to when you just woke up.

Whats your instructors linage. TS?

I am a Purple Belt under Leonardo Xavier, who is a 3rd Degree Black Belt under Royler Gracie

What is TS?

Last edited:
Purple Belt --> under Leonardo Xavier, who is a 3rd Degree Black Belt under Royler Gracie

What is TS?

TS = thread starter.

Cool, i was just wondering cause you do all the same warm up tech's we do in the beg class. We do more guard passing / takedown drills in the advance class (which it sounded like you do the same.)

TS = thread starter.

Cool, i was just wondering cause you do all the same warm up tech's we do in the beg class. We do more guard passing / takedown drills in the advance class (which it sounded like you do the same.)

We do a lot of Takedown drills mostly on other nights. Tonight for instance we will do a lot of Uchikomi (the Judo guys will appreciate that, which is basically Throwing drills. We also do a lot of Guard work. But I have found at the schools I have trained at in the past that too much focus was put on only half the game for the beginners. Throws/Takedowns are harder then Guard work. To me it only makes sense to start drilling those in the beginning too.

We generally just start with some very thorough stretching and then do a load of technique work that ends up working as a warmup too. First live roll is probably 30-35 minutes into the class.

Back