Skill Wise: Anderson Silva > Jones. It's not even close.

Anderson's my favorite fighter, but despite that I agree. Jones is far from garbage.

Ok but at least Jones hasn't lost to a middleweight.

Even when I passed Jones in the current P4P rankings ahead of Silva, I always considered AS more skillful. His technique is just more refined, imo. Same with GSP. I think last night exposed Jones in some ways. It's impossible not to make a correlation that his size helped him a lot in his previous matches.

I have nothing against this btw, he can make LHW so he should stay there, I just think people should put it in the equation when trying to fully determine the gamut of skill.

Love these threads where someone claims to not be a fan of a particular fighter and unbias, and then goes on a complete rant extolling the virtues of said fighter and bashing the other figher into oblivion.

BTW, I like how you made about 12 categories of absolutely random value, about 10 of which are just components of striking, but then wrestling is given one category when in reality that's worth about 8 of the other categories. And then you somehow forgot "elbows" which would obviously go to Jones.

Just a shame Anderson wouldnt be able to defend Bones TD's

I'm not a fan of either of these fighters. Anderson in particular, I will always remember as the guy who got submitted with a flying heel hook by Ryo Chonan in PRIDE.

With that said, Anderson was much more scarier in his prime than Jones. They will obviously never fight now that Anderson lost and is probably going to retire soon. But I don't think anyone can deny Anderson was/is a much more skilled fighter.

Anderson threw everything with bad intentions and is one of the best finishers in UFC history. He could end a fight in a few seconds. He was also more accurate than Jones, and had way better defense (hand-eye coordination).

Anderson's repertoire of punches and kicks is the complete package. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, etc. Anderson was good at all of those. Jones throws a bit of a lazy jab, has a weak hook and cross.

Jones' multiple head kicks didn't even phase Gustaffson. Andersons one head kick put fire-hydrant head Chris Leben, and Rich Franklin on queer street.

Anderson defense was very elusive with great footwork and head movement. Jones has a defense that should be penalized or illegal. He extends his arm and sticks his fingers out, often poking his opponent in the eye. It also appears that he runs away. It's happened so many times you can't even call it an accident anymore. Jones should be deducted points for that. All it does is expose another flaw in the UFC/NSAC rulebook.

Skill Breakdown

Punching: Anderson
Kicking: Anderson
Knees: Anderson
Clinch: Anderson
Accuracy: Anderson
Speed: Anderson
Power: Anderson
Defense: Anderson
BJJ: Anderson
Wrestling: Jones

Jon Jones without the reach/height advantage would be a below average fighter.

Anderson Silva without the reach/height advantage would still be a great fighter. The reach/height was just a bonus that made him that much deadlier.

Anderson Silva at 26 had 1 good win in his career. Jones has a plethora of big wins.

Lets compare them in 12 years and see whose resume looks better. Jones' is basically as good, if not better than Silva's, already.

Compare a guy who potentially has like a decade left of fighting to a guy who is basically at the end of his career.

You just show how truly amazing Jones is, to be compared to Anderson, at such a young age.

Anderson Silva at 26 had 1 good win in his career. Jones has a plethora of big wins.

Lets compare them in 12 years and see whose resume looks better. Jones' is basically as good, if not better than Silva's, already.

Compare a guy who potentially has like a decade left of fighting to a guy who is basically at the end of his career.

You just show how truly amazing Jones is, to be compared to Anderson, at such a young age.

Guess you didn't read the thread at all.

Career projections don't always work out that way. Fighters reach their prime at different times and peak at different ages.

Look at Shogun and Belfort. Both were supposed phenoms who supposedly "haven't reached their primes yet".... and both of their careers fell hard before their supposed primes.

Anderson is definitely more skilled than Bones no question
but Bones is still young, skill develops

If you truly believe that OP, then fine. Let's see Anderson prove that in the Octagon against Jones.

If you truly believe that OP, then fine. Let's see Anderson prove that in the Octagon against Jones.

They are different weight classes, and Anderson is on the verge of retirement.

They don't need to fight. Its easy to see Anderson is far more skilled.

In striking, yep. With skill and aesthetics.

Grappling, comparable

'Wrasslin, nope.

Takase,%20Daiju%201.jpg

Yep. Losing to a D-level fighter proves that Silva was never any good. :icon_lol::p

Yeah...Anderson is more skilled fighter no question. Doesnt mean that Jon cant beat him though.....he gets him down, that means problems.

I think things like this is impossible to say. Jones accomplishes things different than Anderson based on his style and physical advantages and vice versa.

These conversations are always ridicous to me

which part of Silvas game did look out of prime in his last fight? and when was exacly his prime?

I think the Anderson we seen starting from Fryklund to Henderson was the most dangerous and spectacular fighter ever.

I'm not saying it's his prime, who knows really, but that guy was fucking scary. Nobody made it out of the second round with him

Jones' resume is far more impressive then Anderson's. Jones has beaten a who's who of LHW's while Anderson was beating Leites, Lutter and Maia.

They've shared one common opponent in Chael Sonnen and we all know how that went.

I think TS is trying to say that Silva is a better p4p fighter than Jones which makes sense. GSP is even more skilled (all-around). That is why heavier divisions should not be at the top of the p4p rankings.

Back