Skill Wise: Anderson Silva > Jones. It's not even close.

At 20 fights JJ just broke the record for most UFC LHW defenses.

At 20 fights Anderson already had 4 losses on his record and was champion of the illustrious (now defunct) British organisation cage rage.

Oh yeah, and Anderson also lost his 20th fight.

Career projections don't always work out that way...

Some fighters peak earlier than others.

Look at Shogun. When he won the PRIDE GP and UFC belt, everyone said the same thing about him.... "He's not even in his prime yet". Now he's only 31 and it looks like his career is pretty much finished.

Career projections don't always work out that way...

Some fighters peak earlier than others.

Look at Shogun. When he won the PRIDE GP and UFC belt, everyone said the same thing about him.... "He's not even in his prime yet". Now he's only 31 and it looks like his career is pretty much finished.

Also remember Vitor Belforts career.... LOL...

Like I said... "Prime" doesn't necessarily mean age. Fighters peak at different ages.

From the looks of it, Jones peaked in his fight against Shogun. He hasn't looked nearly as impressive since then.

He does for sure, but is that fair to compare them 38 to 25 years old? Silva's accumulated all this sage-old technique and fighting wisdom. How was Silva at 25? That would be the fairer comparison.

Having said that, a Silva/Jones match is a lot more intriguing.

Before the fight last night, I was thinking they should literally prohibit those 2 fighting - by LAW. Jones would just crush Silva. (a lot of that based on how old Silva is and the direction he may going in...........down that road).

After last night, I think it's at least a more competitive fight.

Still don't know if I'd like to see poor old 39 year old Silva broken in half by this young lion. Something tells me it'd be sad to see. I'll take a pass on the superfight.

This. Jones is just way younger. If anything last night he showed us all that he has what it takes to get through adversity and still come out on top.

Takase,%20Daiju%201.jpg

silva-chonan.jpg

ChonanSilva.jpg

chris-weidman-knockout-anderson-silva-ufc-162.jpg

Also remember Vitor Belforts career.... LOL...

Like I said... "Prime" doesn't necessarily mean age. Fighters peak at different ages.

From the looks of it, Jones peaked in his fight against Shogun. He hasn't looked nearly as impressive since then.

I won't disagree - based on what we saw, I believe the Bones who fought Shogun would have destroyed the Bones that fought Gus.

That being said, Gus was a much tougher opponent than Shogun, so perhaps that is why Bones looked that much more impressive.

Which is why the op is mostly about prime Silva :)

Prime Silva would still stand no chance against JBJ. In fact, Anderson's takedown defense has actually somewhat improved over the years, so prime Silva would be dominated even easier.

Geez, Silva fans are still so bitter after his loss, that they wait in the shadows to discredit anyone who might threaten his legacy.

Btw, trying to pass yourself off as "a fan of neither" isn't working. You're too transparent.

I think that if they fight right now that Anderson would destroy Bones... because Jon is in the hospital after getting the crap beat out of him for five rounds LOL.

If they were both healthy...? Anyone think that if Anderson landed a quarter of the shots on Jones that Gus did, that he would still be conscious? Could he land those shots though? who knows? Would still love to see that fight.

Lay off the koolaid willyou....Jones is much better than Silva..just look at who they fought definitely Jones faced the more stronger comp. And GUS is a great fighter that's why it was a good fight.

which part of Silvas game did look out of prime in his last fight? and when was exacly his prime?

the part about concentration and assessing the situation looked out of whack to me. Wiedman is legit and Anderson got a big head. I know people hate "excuses" or whatever, but fighters check out mentally sometimes, it's just the way it is. Basically, if Anderson isn't just over the hill, because let's face it, he's old, but if he's not, he's gonna abuse Chris in the next fight.

the part about concentration and assessing the situation looked out of whack to me. Wiedman is legit and Anderson got a big head. I know people hate "excuses" or whatever, but fighters check out mentally sometimes, it's just the way it is. Basically, if Anderson isn't just over the hill, because let's face it, he's old, but if he's not, he's gonna abuse Chris in the next fight.

Nah. At 39 years old now, I think its just time for Anderson to hang them up.

His game is built on striking speed and reflexes. Those are the first things to really go with age (according to most boxing experts).

i think this is why p4p rankings are a joke jones relies on his physical attributes and theres nothing wrong with that at all but to say hes more skilled than others is fucking comical, his biggest skill is using his reach combined with great greco roman wrestling

Anderson is a better striker and admit he has an underrated BJJ game but the biggest factor is that Jones will get him down at least once and that is all that is needed.

i think this is why p4p rankings are a joke jones relies on his physical attributes and theres nothing wrong with that at all but to say hes more skilled than others is fucking comical, his biggest skill is using his reach combined with great greco roman wrestling

I've been saying this forever. People mistake it for a knock on Jones but it's really not. He's excellent at using his size to his advantage and the most dominant LHW thus far, BUT I've always taken P4P to be a comparison between skillsets when height/weight etc are taken out of the equation. And in that he's nowhere near the top.

Back