Skill Wise: Anderson Silva > Jones. It's not even close.

^ Though I already mentioned size & reach, add vastly improved TDD and his own offensive wrestling to that as well (for why Gustafsson was able to do what he did). Had he NOT improved his TDD at all and not used his quick feet to move around then he would've been taken down. Though, Gustafsson didn't have a problem getting up from underneath Jones even in a completely exhausted and zombie-like state. Gustafsson is far stronger than Jones realized. It surprised him a lot, not just his speed (which Jones laughed at when Phil Davis, Glover, and even Alex himself said he was faster).

Silva has some boxing skills.
Jones' "boxing" involves throwing his eye poking open hands out.

Jones is too big for Anderson so he would dominate him. Just look what he did to Chael who controlled Anderson for the duration of the fights. And he has no GnP. Jones has the best in the UFC.

Anderson has no GNP?? He was very precise ground strikes....finished Nate, Okami and Chael by ground strikes, he set them up with his striking and finished with GNP

And no....Jones does not have the best GNP in the UFC, its very good and amongst the best in the UFC, but Cain has better. Just look at the results

Jones has height, reach, elbows and wrestling over silva... but silva has better bjj, overall striking, movement, speed, and experience.

Seeing as jones has handled every smaller fighter than him easily, id give him the edge despite not being as complete as silva, he is masterful utilizing his advantages and I cant see a game jones making a mistake big enough for anderson to capitalize on... and im a huge silva fan.

theyre not remotely similar fighters
Silva has freaky reflexes, great lateral movement for mma, sick co-ordination and powerful hands.

Jones is great at throws, mma wrestling, ridiculous fight iq and extremely inventive.

They share close to nothing in common

Jones is a quick study and a talented, well rounded fighter, but alot of his success can be attributed to his size/reach, as was seen by the fact that his toughest fight to date was against a guy almost as big as he is

I'm not a fan of either of these fighters. Anderson in particular, I will always remember as the guy who got submitted with a flying heel hook by Ryo Chonan in PRIDE.

With that said, Anderson was much more scarier in his prime than Jones. They will obviously never fight now that Anderson lost and is probably going to retire soon. But I don't think anyone can deny Anderson was/is a much more skilled fighter.

Anderson threw everything with bad intentions and is one of the best finishers in UFC history. He could end a fight in a few seconds. He was also more accurate than Jones, and had way better defense (hand-eye coordination).

Anderson's repertoire of punches and kicks is the complete package. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, etc. Anderson was good at all of those. Jones throws a bit of a lazy jab, has a weak hook and cross.

Jones' multiple head kicks didn't even phase Gustaffson. Andersons one head kick put fire-hydrant head Chris Leben, and Rich Franklin on queer street.

Anderson defense was very elusive with great footwork and head movement. Jones has a defense that should be penalized or illegal. He extends his arm and sticks his fingers out, often poking his opponent in the eye. It also appears that he runs away. It's happened so many times you can't even call it an accident anymore. Jones should be deducted points for that. All it does is expose another flaw in the UFC/NSAC rulebook.

Skill Breakdown

Punching: Anderson
Kicking: Anderson
Knees: Anderson
Clinch: Anderson
Accuracy: Anderson
Speed: Anderson
Power: Anderson
Defense: Anderson
BJJ: Anderson
Wrestling: Jones

Jon Jones without the reach/height advantage would be a below average fighter.

Anderson Silva without the reach/height advantage would still be a great fighter. The reach/height was just a bonus that made him that much deadlier.

yes, absolutely, because Silva has such a repertoire to throw at the first legitimate guy (Weidman) that he didn't have a reach advantage over.

If you're going to cradle someone's nutsack that tenderly, don't preface it by claiming your not especially a fan.

Neither Silva or Jones are in the conversation anymore.

Gustafsson> Jones/Silva.

GSP>everybody.

I knew it was only a matter of time until the trolls came out to eat.

I'm not a fan of either of these fighters. Anderson in particular, I will always remember as the guy who got submitted with a flying heel hook by Ryo Chonan in PRIDE.

Stopped reading right there.

With that said, Anderson was much more scarier in his prime than Jones. They will obviously never fight now that Anderson lost and is probably going to retire soon. But I don't think anyone can deny Anderson was/is a much more skilled fighter.

Anderson threw everything with bad intentions and is one of the best finishers in UFC history. He could end a fight in a few seconds. He was also more accurate than Jones, and had way better defense (hand-eye coordination).

Anderson's repertoire of punches and kicks is the complete package. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, etc. Anderson was good at all of those. Jones throws a bit of a lazy jab, has a weak hook and cross.

Jones' multiple head kicks didn't even phase Gustaffson. Andersons one head kick put fire-hydrant head Chris Leben, and Rich Franklin on queer street.

Anderson defense was very elusive with great footwork and head movement. Jones has a defense that should be penalized or illegal. He extends his arm and sticks his fingers out, often poking his opponent in the eye. It also appears that he runs away. It's happened so many times you can't even call it an accident anymore. Jones should be deducted points for that. All it does is expose another flaw in the UFC/NSAC rulebook.

Skill Breakdown

Punching: Anderson
Kicking: Anderson
Knees: Anderson
Clinch: Anderson
Accuracy: Anderson
Speed: Anderson
Power: Anderson
Defense: Anderson
BJJ: Anderson
Wrestling: Jones

Jon Jones without the reach/height advantage would be a below average fighter.

Anderson Silva without the reach/height advantage would still be a great fighter. The reach/height was just a bonus that made him that much deadlier.

Ironic because Jones still kicks his ass

At 20 fights JJ just broke the record for most UFC LHW defenses.

At 20 fights Anderson already had 4 losses on his record and was champion of the illustrious (now defunct) British organisation cage rage.

Oh yeah, and Anderson also lost his 20th fight.

Jones will also be retired by 32 whereas Anderson was whooping assess in his late 30s

Striking and BJJ Silva. Wrestling Jones.

Head to head fight at LHW...Bones Jones via takedown and GNP

Back