Skill Wise: Anderson Silva > Jones. It's not even close.

kratosdrake

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of either of these fighters. Anderson in particular, I will always remember as the guy who got submitted with a flying heel hook by Ryo Chonan in PRIDE.

With that said, Anderson was much more scarier in his prime than Jones. They will obviously never fight now that Anderson lost and is probably going to retire soon. But I don't think anyone can deny Anderson was/is a much more skilled fighter.

Anderson threw everything with bad intentions and is one of the best finishers in UFC history. He could end a fight in a few seconds. He was also more accurate than Jones, and had way better defense (hand-eye coordination).

Anderson's repertoire of punches and kicks is the complete package. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, etc. Anderson was good at all of those. Jones throws a bit of a lazy jab, has a weak hook and cross.

Jones' multiple head kicks didn't even phase Gustaffson. Andersons one head kick put fire-hydrant head Chris Leben, and Rich Franklin on queer street.

Anderson defense was very elusive with great footwork and head movement. Jones has a defense that should be penalized or illegal. He extends his arm and sticks his fingers out, often poking his opponent in the eye. It also appears that he runs away. It's happened so many times you can't even call it an accident anymore. Jones should be deducted points for that. All it does is expose another flaw in the UFC/NSAC rulebook.

Skill Breakdown

Punching: Anderson
Kicking: Anderson
Knees: Anderson
Clinch: Anderson
Accuracy: Anderson
Speed: Anderson
Power: Anderson
Defense: Anderson
BJJ: Anderson
Wrestling: Jones

Jon Jones without the reach/height advantage would be a below average fighter.

Anderson Silva without the reach/height advantage would still be a great fighter. The reach/height was just a bonus that made him that much deadlier.

lol Anderson better than Jones in standup thanks.

also lol at better BJJ by Silva...

I agree. It's clear that Jones relies on his physical advantages over his opponents but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I think Jones hapes Anderson on the feet. Gus does also. Disguised Anderson fans ftw.

He does for sure, but is that fair to compare them 38 to 25 years old? Silva's accumulated all this sage-old technique and fighting wisdom. How was Silva at 25? That would be the fairer comparison.

Having said that, a Silva/Jones match is a lot more intriguing.

Before the fight last night, I was thinking they should literally prohibit those 2 fighting - by LAW. Jones would just crush Silva. (a lot of that based on how old Silva is and the direction he may going in...........down that road).

After last night, I think it's at least a more competitive fight.

Still don't know if I'd like to see poor old 39 year old Silva broken in half by this young lion. Something tells me it'd be sad to see. I'll take a pass on the superfight.

Jones is already a more well-rounded fighter than Anderson ever was and he is so young, his career has just started. He has 12 years to arrive where Anderson is, well I guess he is already the #1 p4p fighter in the world but I will enjoy watching him do it regardless!

He does for sure, but is that fair to compare them 38 to 25 years old? Silva's accumulated all this sage-old technique and fighting wisdom. How was Silva at 25? That would be the fairer comparison.

Having said that, a Silva/Jones match is a lot more intriguing.

Before the fight last night, I was thinking they should literally prohibit those 2 fighting - by LAW. Jones would just crush Silva. (a lot of that based on how old Silva is and the direction he may going in...........down that road).

After last night, I think it's at least a more competitive fight.

Still don't know if I'd like to see poor old 39 year old Silva broken in half by this young lion. Something tells me it'd be sad to see. I'll take a pass on the superfight.

At the rate Fragile Bones Jones is getting injured at, he won't be fighting when he's 38.

Right now, Jones would win vs. Anderson. Anderson is too old now, and just lost a fight via bad KO. They are also naturally different weight classes.

Doesn't mean Anderson isn't far more skilled than Jones though.

Agree but you are comparing Silva in his peak vs jones who still hasn't reached his prime yet.

It's a shame morons feel the need to do this type of threads after each event

Neither Silva or Jones are in the conversation anymore.

Gustafsson> Jones/Silva.

GSP>everybody.

Agree but you are comparing Silva in his peak vs jones who still hasn't reached his prime yet.

WRONG.

Some fighters peak earlier than others.

Look at Shogun. When he won the PRIDE GP and UFC belt, everyone said the same thing about him.... "He's not even in his prime yet". Now he's only 31 and it looks like his career is pretty much finished.

Pretty solid analysis, I've been saying it all for a long time, Get a few more powerful real light heavies and Jones will go to sleep

jj and as both got exposed this year, gsp is obviously the best. if he gets kod then aldo is goat

Striking wise- yes Andy is more skilled than Bones. But so far the only fighter to be able to best Silva in striking is Weidman, and if the rematch stays on the feet I think he's Silva's going to blow him out of the water.

But Bones is very creative and quite talented himself. Needs to tighten up his standard boxing for sure, however.

Anderson is ten times the fighter and will go down in history as that.

jj and as both got exposed this year, gsp is obviously the best. if he gets kod then aldo is goat

Anderson didn't get exposed. He's just an old guy who got caught.

Don't get me wrong. I loved every minute of it. I hate Andersons show boating. But he's just an old guy who got caught.

At 20 fights JJ just broke the record for most UFC LHW defenses.

At 20 fights Anderson already had 4 losses on his record and was champion of the illustrious (now defunct) British organisation cage rage.

Oh yeah, and Anderson also lost his 20th fight.

Back