• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Six 'Nations'

Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ireland is not a nation it is an island on which are two countries but anomalously it is counted as a 'nation' in this tournament. In fact if the United Kingdom is a country then it should only have one team at everything, the same as everyone else. And its code should be UK or UNI or something, not GBR, which again implies that Northern Ireland does not exist. And it should be called 'Team UK' not 'Team GB' for the same reason.

It may also interest you to know that the sponsor of the tournament, the Royal Bank of Scotland, was recently fined £3.1 billion by the US government for mis selling bonds there.

BBC_and_ITV_to_share_Six_Nations_rugby_coverage_from_2016.jpg

Ok having got that out of the way let's discuss the Six Nations tournament, I am a bit late with my thread as the first weekend has already taken place and here are the results

Scotland 27 - 22 Ireland
England 19 - 16 France
Wales 33 - 7 Italy

Scotland looked nice against Ireland but they have been so inconsistent of late I am not reading that much into it yet. England had a game of two halves, they looked vulnerable at first but showed great resolve and self confidence to turn the game around and force France back, it was impressive. Italy started positively, even adventurously but then completely lost control of the match, Wales were relentless in attack and adapted well. They got 3 tries in the last 20 minutes.

England won every game and the tournament last year and ended with a +62 point difference. They have to be a strong favourite this year for most people, especially with getting one of their toughest opponents out of the way right away.

PS coming up are
Wales vs England
Italy vs Ireland
France vs Scotland

If England beat Wales they will already be half way to winning the tournament. If Wales wins however it's game on. France away is a lot to ask of Scotland but could also be a big opportunity to make a place for themselves at the upper end of the table (I am supporting Scotland).

Last edited:
I'm confused. The Super Bowl was last night. How come this thread mentions soccer or rugby or whatever?

I'm confused. The Super Bowl was last night. How come this thread mentions soccer or rugby or whatever?

Rugby is a very popular international sport and fast-growing in North America. It's similar to American Football, so you'll pick it up quickly, and the action is fast and non-stop. Give it a try! There are some key matches coming up on the weekend.

I feel like this thread would have been better without some fucking weird political statement or whatever it is you are rambling about 'nations' in the opening paragraph.

I feel like this thread would have been better without some fucking weird political statement or whatever it is you are rambling about 'nations' in the opening paragraph.

I have always been against the politicisation of sport. Don't shoot the messenger.

Six Nations: England 'can compare' to New Zealand - Sam Warburton
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38893904
_94011855_cdf_050217_italy_v_wales146.jpg

Wales flanker Sam Warburton says Six Nations rivals England are justifiably regarded as being the equal of world champions New Zealand.

Eddie Jones' side will arrive in Cardiff seeking a 16th successive win, three away from a world record.

The All Blacks and South Africa share the tier-one nations' 18-match winning run record.

"England are deservedly tagged as the best team in the northern hemisphere," said Warburton.

"It's a fair judgement to compare them to the All Blacks right now - that's how good they are.

"It is going to take a huge game out of us to get a win, and it will be one of the biggest games of the championship for sure."

Ireland is not a nation it is an island on which are two countries but anomalously it is counted as a 'nation' in this tournament. In fact if the United Kingdom is a country then it should only have one team at everything, the same as everyone else. And its code should be UK or UNI or something, not GBR, which again implies that Northern Ireland does not exist. And it should be called 'Team UK' not 'Team GB' for the same reason.

It may also interest you to know that the sponsor of the tournament, the Royal Bank of Scotland, was recently fined £3.1 billion by the US government for mis selling bonds there.

BBC_and_ITV_to_share_Six_Nations_rugby_coverage_from_2016.jpg

Ok having got that out of the way let's discuss the Six Nations tournament, I am a bit late with my thread as the first weekend has already taken place and here are the results

Scotland 27 - 22 Ireland
England 19 - 16 France
Wales 33 - 7 Italy

Scotland looked nice against Ireland but they have been so inconsistent of late I am not reading that much into it yet. England had a game of two halves, they looked vulnerable at first but showed great resolve and self confidence to turn the game around and force France back, it was impressive. Italy started positively, even adventurously but then completely lost control of the match, Wales were relentless in attack and adapted well. They got 3 tries in the last 20 minutes.

England won every game and the tournament last year and ended with a +62 point difference. They have to be a strong favourite this year for most people, especially with getting one of their toughest opponents out of the way right away.

PS coming up are
Wales vs England
Italy vs Ireland
France vs Scotland

If England beat Wales they will already be half way to winning the tournament. If Wales wins however it's game on. France away is a lot to ask of Scotland but could also be a big opportunity to make a place for themselves at the upper end of the table (I am supporting Scotland).
Given northern Irish people are allowed to pick to play for Ireland or Britain for obvious reasons, it should not be team U.K.

I hope my whole thread is not just going to be Americans and Republicans trolling.

Then don't post random political shite to start a thread. Simple really. We've already been talking about the Sijx Nations in my rugby thread btw.

i voted for france and i have never understood a single second of rugby.

i voted for france and i have never understood a single second of rugby.

France looked surprisingly good in their opening game, some huge forwards and their backline play had a bit of flair. They lost in the end (unfortunately) but played quite well though the game wasn't the best.

Rugby is really quite simple:

Given northern Irish people are allowed to pick to play for Ireland or Britain for obvious reasons, it should not be team U.K.

If Northern Irish people take Irish citizenship obviously they should be allowed to represent the ROI however without it they shouldn't.

Same rules for everyone.

If Northern Irish people take Irish citizenship obviously they should be allowed to represent the ROI however without it they shouldn't.

Same rules for everyone.
You seem like a clever person so I don't think I need to explain the issue there.

You seem like a clever person so I don't think I need to explain the issue there.

You seem like a plastic paddy so I think it likely you don't know that people born in NI can get an Irish passport automatically.

#samerulesforeveryone

//

Scotland are France's worst nightmare ...they could run them ragged in Six Nations clash, says Alasdair Strokosch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...ations-Scotland-France-s-worst-nightmare.html

• Scotland looking for their second Six Nations victory after shocking Ireland
  • Alasdair Strokosch has seen enough of the French to know they're vulnerable
  • France tired late on against England, which should work to Scotland's advantage
  • Stopping France world-class No 8 Louis Picamoles will be vital for Scotland
3CDBC44400000578-4210050-image-m-11_1486683925205.jpg

‘France have a big pack that can’t last a full game,’ said the 47-times capped flanker. ‘A team like us will run for 80 minutes.

‘Get up in their faces and put in a lot of important big tackles on their forwards early on. Work them from the first whistle. Get them on the ground, make them get up again, get them tired.

‘If France don’t build up a lead with their big pack early on then they could struggle further down the road because Scotland will keep going at it. Running hard, playing high tempo. That’s why I’m going for a Scotland victory.’

The message couldn’t be clearer. Scotland have a great opportunity to build on last weekend’s opening victory over Ireland with their first win in Paris since our Five Nations winner in 1999.

‘The French pack may be very good at the set-piece but, as they showed against England, they are not going to last the pace,’ added Strokosch. ‘Their loose-head Uini Atonio of La Rochelle is enormous and will be the biggest guy in either front row come Sunday.

‘Their hooker Guilhem Guirado is someone I played with at Perpignan and his game is all about physicality. At tighthead, it’s Cyril Baille of Toulouse who is being looked on as the next top quality prop for them.

‘I am not doubting the rugby ability of the front row or the rest of their pack, but have some of their players the stamina to perform at full pelt during the second half?

'In open play if Scotland have been hammering them from the start, how will they react? Whoever Scotland pick in their pack could get the better of them as they have some top-quality players to pick from.’

France did well against England and ran them close but, on the same day, Scotland were running in three quick tries against Ireland.

‘We are their worst nightmare as the French forward pack know they’ll have to cope with a high-tempo game from first whistle to last, maybe even faster than the England match.’

3D0398B200000578-4210050-image-a-15_1486684163270.jpg

for all the great players that France have, Scotland have the likes of Stuart Hogg, the Gray brothers, Alex Dunbar, Hamish Watson, John Barclay. Young Zander :eek::eek::eek:erson, he did well at tight-head.

/

Great to hear such a positive opinion on this match I have been feeling more and more hopeful too after Scotland's impressive debut. This second weekend is very key let's go Scotland!

You seem like a plastic paddy so I think it likely you don't know that people born in NI can get an Irish passport automatically.

#samerulesforeveryone

//

Scotland are France's worst nightmare ...they could run them ragged in Six Nations clash, says Alasdair Strokosch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...ations-Scotland-France-s-worst-nightmare.html

• Scotland looking for their second Six Nations victory after shocking Ireland
  • Alasdair Strokosch has seen enough of the French to know they're vulnerable
  • France tired late on against England, which should work to Scotland's advantage
  • Stopping France world-class No 8 Louis Picamoles will be vital for Scotland
3CDBC44400000578-4210050-image-m-11_1486683925205.jpg

‘France have a big pack that can’t last a full game,’ said the 47-times capped flanker. ‘A team like us will run for 80 minutes.

‘Get up in their faces and put in a lot of important big tackles on their forwards early on. Work them from the first whistle. Get them on the ground, make them get up again, get them tired.

‘If France don’t build up a lead with their big pack early on then they could struggle further down the road because Scotland will keep going at it. Running hard, playing high tempo. That’s why I’m going for a Scotland victory.’

The message couldn’t be clearer. Scotland have a great opportunity to build on last weekend’s opening victory over Ireland with their first win in Paris since our Five Nations winner in 1999.

‘The French pack may be very good at the set-piece but, as they showed against England, they are not going to last the pace,’ added Strokosch. ‘Their loose-head Uini Atonio of La Rochelle is enormous and will be the biggest guy in either front row come Sunday.

‘Their hooker Guilhem Guirado is someone I played with at Perpignan and his game is all about physicality. At tighthead, it’s Cyril Baille of Toulouse who is being looked on as the next top quality prop for them.

‘I am not doubting the rugby ability of the front row or the rest of their pack, but have some of their players the stamina to perform at full pelt during the second half?

'In open play if Scotland have been hammering them from the start, how will they react? Whoever Scotland pick in their pack could get the better of them as they have some top-quality players to pick from.’

France did well against England and ran them close but, on the same day, Scotland were running in three quick tries against Ireland.

‘We are their worst nightmare as the French forward pack know they’ll have to cope with a high-tempo game from first whistle to last, maybe even faster than the England match.’

3D0398B200000578-4210050-image-a-15_1486684163270.jpg

for all the great players that France have, Scotland have the likes of Stuart Hogg, the Gray brothers, Alex Dunbar, Hamish Watson, John Barclay. Young Zander :eek::eek::eek:erson, he did well at tight-head.

/

Great to hear such a positive opinion on this match I have been feeling more and more hopeful too after Scotland's impressive debut. This second weekend is very key let's go Scotland!
I know perfectly well what happens in Ireland thanks.

My friend held his Norwegian passport until he was going to have to do national service and is now British, who would you want him to represent?

I know perfectly well what happens in Ireland thanks.

My friend held his Norwegian passport until he was going to have to do national service and is now British, who would you want him to represent?

I'd be happy for him to represent either Norway or the UK at sport.

There would be no super bowl or American football without rugby. It's your version of the game, Just 2 hours too long with far too many adverts

There would be no super bowl or American football without rugby. It's your version of the game, Just 2 hours too long with far too many adverts
I'm still confused as to why rugby is mentioned at all on an American website.

Back