• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Six 'Nations'

Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Where are the Spanish Steps? Rome
What kind of horse isn't a horse? A seahorse.
How many nations are there in the Six Nations? Two.

Andrew Trimble and Ultan Dillane out of Ireland's Six Nations campaign
http://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...-dillane-out-of-irelands-six-nations-campaign

Ulster winger Andrew Trimble and Connacht second row Ultan Dillane have been ruled out of Ireland's final two games of the Six Nations with hand and shoulder injuries respectively, the IRFU confirmed on Sunday.

Trimble has been ruled out for the rest of the Six Nations following a bone fracture in his hand suffered in Ulster's 19-7 victory over Treviso on Friday, while Dillane will undergo surgery this week for an ongoing shoulder problem.
skysports-andrew-trimble-ireland_3903628.jpg

Wales struggle for answers before must-win Six Nations game with Ireland
• ‘We are looking to put things right,’ says prop Rob Evans
• Wales in danger of lowest Six Nations finish since 2007
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/04/wales-struggle-six-nations-ireland
5472.jpg

It is 10 years since Wales suffered three successive Six Nations defeats, but after losing to England and Scotland, they are in danger of their lowest finish in the tournament since 2007. Victory against Ireland in Cardiff on Friday night is essential not only to enhance the fading Lions prospects of some players but to prevent calls for a coaching overhaul from reaching fever pitch.

If Wales win, England must beat Scotland the following day at Twickenham to retain the title with one round of matches to go. But the title’s destiny is of no concern to a team looking to salvage its campaign and re-establish a reputation that is in danger of fading to sepia.

“It is a huge, must-win game for us,” says the Wales prop Rob Evans. “We are looking forward to putting things right against Ireland.” The question is how.

/

While the other teams in the Six Nations are generally prepared to have a go in their own half, Wales tend to kick. They are not scoring enough tries or points and the decision to keep the outside-half Sam Davies, who helped create three tries against Italy, on the bench until 12 minutes before the end in Scotland while bringing on a more defensive player, Jamie Roberts, was baffling. If Wales do not trust Davies, why have him in the 23? His partnership with the centre Scott Williams in Rome looked to point the way ahead, but at Murrayfield Williams was used to take the ball up more than put it through his hands.

Should be a great weekend of matches.

It's mint to see Scotland competitive again and I don't think we should be shocked if they run England close or even beat them. Scotland have been terrible for so long and it's good for the game that they finally got their shit together.

Wales v Ireland is massive. Wales have been poor and I think Garland is going to struggle to justify picking a load of the Welsh who will be expecting to go on the Lions tour. That doesn't mean he won't pick them though. I fancy Wales to turn it around and edge Ireland in a close, low scoring game.

I'm also interested to see if the Italians will try the same gameplan against the French as they did against England. The Italians have been poor this year, the worst they've been for a while. I can see Le Bleu racking up a cricket score.

Wales 22 - 9 Ireland
England 61 - 21 Scotland
Italy 18 - 40 France

England 18
Ireland 10
France 10
Wales 9
Scotland 9
Italy 0

England have already won and will be feeling confident in coming away from Dublin next week with a double grand slam. There is obviously no one in the Northern Hemisphere who can handle them at the moment, they brutalised Scotland and had them in chaos almost immediately. No one has ever got a double Grand Slam in the 6 nations, although France got one while it was still the 5 nations in 1998. England are now on 18 wins in a row which is equal to New Zealand's record. A win in Dublin next time out would be immense. Even though they can't win now Ireland will be at 110% to spoil the party fora moral victory but it's hard to see how they could do it.

Wales came with a very physical approach and shut down Ireland as I thought they would and won back some respect, fair play to them.

Italy came out and did their best and played positively as they always do and I give them credit for that - when they are on the ball they are fast and inventive and are scoring but off the ball they are just getting technically taken apart, their defence needs a lot of evolution.

Final Fixtures:

Ireland vs England
France vs Wales
Scotland vs Italy

England beat Ireland, France vs Wales I really find hard to predict. Possibly Wales, France may be looking to kick points. Scotland inconsistent again but they should beat Italy by a narrow margin. They will be trying to get some self respect back after that humiliation but Italy are looking for a consolation win as well and will sense weakness.

Before yesterday it was the Scottish who were playing the best Rugby and England being yo yo.

That was the best back line rugby I've seen from England in decades. Think Jones will be pissed to ship 3 tries, though, and rightly so, as two were very defendable.

Scotland 29 - 0 Italy
France 20 - 18 Wales
Ireland 13 - 9 England

England 19
Ireland 14
France 14
Scotland 14
Wales 10
Italy 0

England won the tournament but Ireland spoiled the party or at least took some of the steam out of it and spoiled the Grand Slam again lol I think that's the third time they have done that when they play England last. I'm still not sure how they did it but I suppose it's down to psychological factors as they are in no way a better team. Anyway well done Ireland and for that they probably do deserve second place. They kept possession very well and didn't give England an inch of space when they could avoid it, slowed the game right down. New Zealand are still scared of England and chose to play Barbarians this summer instead on their visit though.

France vs Wales was crazy I can't remember the last time I saw an international rugby match go to extra time. France deserved to win. Wales have had a poor tournament. Scotland got some self respect and momentum back with a clean slate home win they have won all their home games. Italy although they leave the tournament with 5 losses and no points have played much better than those figures suggest and have definitely contributed a lot and shown a lot of potential. They need to work on their defence more than anything I'd say. Very entertaining tounament and very competitive as you can see with half the teams finishing with the same number of points.

Back