Signs point to the UFC's potential switch-bait Khabib with Conor/Ferguson

i'm not totally counting this theory out.

but i don't think Conor beats either of them as much as i'd like him to.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Tony has insane cardio - one that can match or even outdo Khabib's cardio. One of Khabib's advantages over his previous opponents have been his higher work rate. Against Tony, Khabib's cardio advantage is nullified.

Another strength of Khabib is his top control. Against Tony, Khabib will have a lot of problem dealing with Tony's submission and ground defense, especially Tony's devastating elbows from the bottom.

He does have great cardio and is creative off his back with more than just subs but I don’t see how that makes him a difficult match up. Most difficult thus far? Absolutely. I see it as a tougher fight for Tony than it is for Khabib. Just my opinion.

They aren't protecting Conor from Khabib lmao. They put Tony on the card because:

1. He's the best replacement option in case one of them legitimately pulls out
2. He's also the next logical opponent for either man, so him being in the co-main event and calling out the winner would be fitting (provided he doesn't lose to Pettis, of course)

Also, the reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of hype yet is because UFC 228 still hasn't happened. Once it's over and done with and the build to 229 begins, you''ll start seeing the hype train in full mode: Trailers, promos, Embedded videos, press conferences, Dana yapping about the fight constantly, etc.

Last edited:
Back in 2016, based on the UFC's past patterns of protecting certain fighters, I predicted that if McGregor wins the LW title, the UFC would help him hold 2 belts hostage:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/i...amp-for-a-very-long-time-here-is-why.3362947/

The exact thing happened.

Now that the UFC has announced Conor's return to fight Khabib - after ducking him like the plague for 2 years - something does not seem right. There are signs* pointing to the UFC's potential switch-bait Khabib with Conor/Ferguson:

The UFC will have Conor pull out at the very last minutes and have Ferguson step in to fight Khabib.

What are the UFC's motivations?

1. Protect Conor from his worst match-up (Khabib)
2. Use Ferguson (the worst matchup for Khabib) to take Khabib out

3. If / when Ferguson wins the belt, have Conor fight him.
Stylistically, Ferguson is more of a stand-up striker, so Conor has a better chance at beating him than he is at beating Khabib.

ok.

So why did they strip him then? And why did they bother booking Conor vs. Khabib?

I would like to see this happen. I will be the only one that will actually prefer to see Khabib vs Tony, however I think Khabib would take Tony out. At the same time, stylistically, I think Tony can beat Conor. But I also think Conor would beat Khabib with a solid left as Khabib comes in for a takedown. Stylistically, I see paper-rock-scissor.

Back in 2016, based on the UFC's past patterns of protecting certain fighters, I predicted that if McGregor wins the LW title, the UFC would help him hold 2 belts hostage:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/i...amp-for-a-very-long-time-here-is-why.3362947/

The exact thing happened.

Now that the UFC has announced Conor's return to fight Khabib - after ducking him like the plague for 2 years - something does not seem right. There are signs* pointing to the UFC's potential switch-bait Khabib with Conor/Ferguson:

The UFC will have Conor pull out at the very last minutes and have Ferguson step in to fight Khabib.

What are the UFC's motivations?

1. Protect Conor from his worst match-up (Khabib)
2. Use Ferguson (the worst matchup for Khabib) to take Khabib out

3. If / when Ferguson wins the belt, have Conor fight him.
Stylistically, Ferguson is more of a stand-up striker, so Conor has a better chance at beating him than he is at beating Khabib.

Having a nice chat with yourself?
If you take that match up nightmare and make sure he fights with no camp and no preperation - that's exactly it. Even a nuthugger should understand that.

B b b but knee injury...

You don't fight match up nightmare ON SHORT NOTICE YOU IDIOT. Jesus fucking christ, you don't even have to train to understand this very simple concept. If you have a guy you naturally beat, you don't want to meet them at a bar, you want to sit there and train fucking 3 months and hope it can prepare you to fight them.

And Conor did have a knee injury, Chad was preparing, and Conor WAS NEVER OBLIGATED TO FIGHT HIM. Conor could've easily chosen not to fight Chad, which would've been the smart choice no matter who he was fighting against as to not risk his guaranteed title shot, and fought Aldo and then moved up to LW to "dodge Chad" like he supposedly "dodged Frankie".

Conor is a warrior, which not surprisingly you don't understand what that looks like, because you'll never be one. Just a little whiny bitch.

I would like to see this happen. I will be the only one that will actually prefer to see Khabib vs Tony, however I think Khabib would take Tony out. At the same time, stylistically, I think Tony can beat Conor. But I also think Conor would beat Khabib with a solid left as Khabib comes in for a takedown. Stylistically, I see paper-rock-scissor.

I also see paper-rock-scissor.

Khabib (paper/blanket) > Conor (rock) > Tony (scissor) > Khabib (paper/blanket)

You don't fight match up nightmare ON SHORT NOTICE YOU IDIOT. Jesus fucking christ, you don't even have to train to understand this very simple concept. If you have a guy you naturally beat, you don't want to meet them at a bar, you want to sit there and train fucking 3 months and hope it can prepare you to fight them.

And Conor did have a knee injury, Chad was preparing, and Conor WAS NEVER OBLIGATED TO FIGHT HIM. Conor could've easily chosen not to fight Chad, which would've been the smart choice no matter who he was fighting against as to not risk his guaranteed title shot, and fought Aldo and then moved up to LW to "dodge Chad" like he supposedly "dodged Frankie".

Conor is a warrior, which not surprisingly you don't understand what that looks like, because you'll never be one. Just a little whiny bitch.

Fighting Chad on short notice is an opportunity that you can't arrange without that specific scenario. It isn't that complicated to understand that if you're risking a dangerous style, it's better to do so when you are coming of a full camp and he isn't. You should really try to put your fragile emotions aside when talking about your hero.

And enough with that knee BS, what was it that he said? 80% ACL rip?
He was kicking just fine in that match. You probably never had a serious knee injury to bring this shit up based on such performance.

Fighting Chad on short notice is an opportunity that you can't arrange without that specific scenario. It isn't that complicated to understand that if you're risking a dangerous style, it's better to do so when you are coming of a full camp and he isn't. You should really try to put your fragile emotions aside when talking about your hero.

And enough with that knee BS, what was it that he said? 80% ACL rip?
He was kicking just fine in that match. You probably never had a serious knee injury to bring this shit up based on such performance.

Conor didn't have a full camp you dweeb. You keep denying shit that happened. "Oh I'm a little girl, I hate Conor so much, I don't want him to have a knee injury so I can say Chad didn't lose to a bum knee Conor"

If Chad was truly the natural counter to Conor that people claim he was, there is no question he was better coming in on short-notice. Except, Chad himself said he was prepared, so he got even more advantages! Get over it.

I actually would rather see McG vs Cucuy to be honest.

That is guaranteed violence.
Tony would get dropped at some point.

And arm triangle Conor with ease.

Maybe he’ll double tap even faster this time

Youre legit retarded if you think this. Jorge Masvidal isn't a pressure fighter at all. Hes a low output counter striker who ko'd Cerrone cause he has shit tier boxing.
How taste conners peepee??

I've got a couple problems with your theory:
1)Tony Ferguson isn't an easier fight than Khabib
2)Ferguson vs Nurmagomedov has been scheduled like 10 times and one of them has pulled out every time. It's never gonna happen

Tony poses problems for Conor, too: high work rate and pressure.

However, Tony likes to stand and strike. He would trade punches with his opponents and leave himself open:

jv4s9jtokoqz.gif

Because of Tony's fighting style, Conor has a better puncher's chance to knock him out than knocking out Khabib, who isn't going to be playing around with striking.

Tony being a better matchup for Conor is a myth.

Tony is the worst matchup for Conor

Tony is a better Nate Diaz with more tools, higher pace, more dangerous on the mat, endless cardio.

If khabib doesn't get Conor down with grappling, he's getting his ass kicked.

Tony will get hurt early by Conor but not finished and by the 3rd, Conor will be completely screwed when Tony is still fighting at 100% and pushing the ridiculous pace he pushes

Tony being a better matchup for Conor is a myth.

Tony is the worst matchup for Conor

Tony is a better Nate Diaz with more tools, higher pace, more dangerous on the mat, endless cardio.

If khabib doesn't get Conor down with grappling, he's getting his ass kicked.

Tony will get hurt early by Conor but not finished and by the 3rd, Conor will be completely screwed when Tony is still fighting at 100% and pushing the ridiculous pace he pushes

Tony likes to stand and bang, which gives Conor more opportunities to knock him out. Khabib will waste no time for a takedown, over and over. Conor wasn't able to stop the much smaller, unprepared Chad Mendez. He is not going to stop Khabib from taking him down.

Tony likes to stand and bang, which gives Conor more opportunities to knock him out. Khabib will waste no time for a takedown, over and over. Conor wasn't able to stop the much smaller, unprepared Chad Mendez. He is not going to stop Khabib from taking him down.
Mendes shoots extremely quick takedowns from the outside. Khabib does not get many takedowns by this method. He'll most likely need to clinch Conor to get that takedown.

Tony still has a chance even if the fight stays standing once Conor wears out a bit. Khabib will get wrecked if he can't get the takedown.

Back