should you be allowed to hit your kids?

You just posted a bunch of over emotional bullshit. What spicific would you like me to reply to? Experts saying hitting your kids are bad?

lol at emotional bullshit.

But yes, what do you say to the experts who claim that hitting kids is wrong?
Or to the lawmakers that have had to draw a line at hitting, many countries of which have straight out banned it?

lol at emotional bullshit.

But yes, what do you say to the experts who claim that hitting kids is wrong?
Or to the lawmakers that have had to draw a line at hitting, many countries of which have straight out banned it?

The "experts" who say hitting your kids is bad are wrong. Abusing your kids is wrong there is a differnce. Its natural for kids to learn by physical punishment their minds are simple so they need a simple way of being showed right from wrong.

Laws and whatbis right and wrong have nothing in common.

The "experts" who say hitting your kids is bad are wrong. Abusing your kids is wrong there is a differnce. Its natural for kids to learn by physical punishment their minds are simple so they need a simple way of being showed right from wrong.

Laws and whatbis right and wrong have nothing in common.

my guess is you are not very educated in the field of psychology

Physical punishment for children has been disappearing for the last 40 or so years.

All I have to say about that is: look at how many pussified and fucked up young adults we have these days. Men are feminized, women are spoiled princesses. Yes, I'm suggesting there's a correlation.

it's no different today than it was back then...why do people actually believe this shite? back then was better because "bla bla bla"....i call BS...human nature hasn't changed one iota in 1000 years much less 40 :)

what is real parenting?

Negotiation, cajoling, distraction and misdirection, emotional manipulation and lots and lots of grey hair.

There are better methods than hitting to teach children right from wrong. I'm against hitting anyone no matter what their age.

I really think Louis CK should be mandatory weekly viewing for me. Better than a massage.

Physical punishment for children has been disappearing for the last 40 or so years.

All I have to say about that is: look at how many pussified and fucked up young adults we have these days. Men are feminized, women are spoiled princesses. Yes, I'm suggesting there's a correlation.

from http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1564&context=lcp

vVxQevO.png

So....... you know...... the thing, you see...... You see, right?

Teaching your kids right from wrong
Taking away privileges when the do something wrong

Hitting your kids is easy. Its an intimidation tactic. Only thing hitting your kids does is it teaches them to be scared of their parents

Yeah, but taking away privileges doesn't even work till they're 4 or something.

My daughters are 5 and 7.
So of course they need some structure.

We do have house rules. No walking on the furniture, clean your shoes before you come in, wash your hands before supper, the usual stuff.
I just make sure I give them a logical and sensible reason for every single rule.
No appeal to authority. It's always "do this because it's the right thing to do", not "because mommy said so".

And for the rest, we have "pretend" family debates. :icon_chee
They tell me their views, I tell them mine and try to convince them that my way is the best way to do things.
Not easy. It's truly amazing what crazy arguments a 5yo will come up with so you'll let her stay up late at night. :redface:
"Because...because then I can do more homework, and... and then I can be very VERY smart, and... and I can become an astronaut... and... and then you'll be proud of me and... and this is why I should stay up all night everyday. Right? Mommy, why are you laughing? MOMMY STOP LAUGHING! I'm so very serious!" :icon_lol:

Anyway, the trick for me is to make them view me as a friend rather than an authority figure.
Children are much more cooperative when they feel they're doing you a favour, rather than obeying an order.

Now, I do realize that some kids are more difficult to deal with depending on where they grow up and whom they hang out with.
But I don't see what you can "teach" them through violence.

Lol. See. Emotional manipulation, that's what your kids have learned.

a kids decision-making is much closer to a dog's than an adults, so you're observation is correct. What's your point?

\

Maybe if you beat them enough. Wiki: "There is also MRI evidence that children treated with harsh corporal punishment have reduced gray matter when aged 18

I'll start with the obvious which is...I apologize in advance for being logical....

We were all taught when we were kids...everyone is different, we are all unique....

Spankings will work on some kids and won't work on others...it didn't work for me and doesn't work for my son; it worked "somewhat" on my to daughters...all are individuals and therefore are actually different..individuality is such a cool and good thing!

Anyone who thinks or says "it worked / didn't work for me" therefor "it will work for you/your kids" has (IMHO) lived a sheltered life.

Anyone have/had teenagers? Hell, we were all teenagers at one time and I'd be willing to bet that we thought we invented "sex, drugs and rock and roll"...ummmm, no we didn't, that shite has been around since forever....but do teenagers reallize that? some do and some don't...

If you see someone beating a child vs spanking them then you should intervene or at a minimum call the cops....

it's no different today than it was back then...why do people actually believe this shite? back then was better because "bla bla bla"....i call BS...human nature hasn't changed one iota in 1000 years much less 40 :)

you don't believe society has changed in the past 40 years? You don't think that TV, the internet, social media and various social campaigns have had any effect on people?

I'm going to have to disagree there. Social norms are constantly changing. Go back 40 years and no one gave a shit about bullying, people were outraged about interracial marriage, let alone same-sex, the transgendered were ostracized, etc.

Of course society has changed, and kids are more in tune with these things than they ever were, thanks to social media and the internet. It has a huge effect.

Maybe like once a year so technically yes but it should only be for severe things like running across a road when I said stop, and not when they are crying about not getting an icecream.

And certainly no to slaping them upside the head.

Yeah duh what kind of dumb question is this. buncha pansies

Maybe if you beat them enough.

I can't believe I have to explain this, but since you like quotes:

But these researchers have discovered changes in the structure of the brain that appear relatively late in child development.

Changes in the Prefrontal Cortex

Giedd and his colleagues found that in an area of the brain called the prefrontal cortex, the brain appeared to be growing again just before puberty. The prefrontal cortex sits just behind the forehead. It is particularly interesting to scientists because it acts as the CEO of the brain, controlling planning, working memory, organization, and modulating mood. As the prefrontal cortex matures, teenagers can reason better, develop more control over impulses and make judgments better. In fact, this part of the brain has been dubbed "the area of sober second thought."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/teenbrain/work/adolescent.html

As such, the prefrontal cortex is a little immature in teenagers as compared to adults; it may not fully develop until your mid-20s [source: Kotulak]. And if you don't have a remote control to call the shots in the brain, using the other brain structures can become more difficult. Imaging studies have shown that most of the mental energy that teenagers use in making decisions is located in the back of the brain, whereas adults do most of their processing in the frontal lobe [source: Wallis]. When teenagers do use the frontal lobe, it seems they overdo it, calling upon much more of the brain to get the job done than adults would [source: Powell]. And because adults have already refined those communicating synapses, they can make decisions more quickly.

Adult brains are also better wired to notice errors in decision-making. While adults performed tasks that required the quick response of pushing buttons, their brains sent out a signal when a hasty mistake was made. Before 80 milliseconds had passed, adult brains had noticed the blunder, but teenage brains didn't notice any slip-up [source: Monastersky].

An area of the teenager's brain that is fairly well-developed early on, though, is the nucleus accumbens, or the area of the brain that seeks pleasure and reward. In imaging studies that compared brain activity when the subject received a small, medium or large reward, teenagers exhibited exaggerated responses to medium and large rewards compared to children and adults [source: Powell]. When presented with a small reward, the teenagers' brains hardly fired at all in comparison to adults and children.

So what does it mean to have an undeveloped prefrontal cortex in conjunction with a strong desire for reward? As it happens, this combination could explain a lot of stereotypical teenage behavior.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/teenage-brain1.htm

So please explain how you go on to reason with a child, like an adult, that doesn't yet have the full capacity to even control their decision making capabilities?

Last edited:
you don't believe society has changed in the past 40 years? You don't think that TV, the internet, social media and various social campaigns have had any effect on people?

I'm going to have to disagree there. Social norms are constantly changing. Go back 40 years and no one gave a shit about bullying, people were outraged about interracial marriage, let alone same-sex, the transgendered were ostracized, etc.

Of course society has changed, and kids are more in tune with these things than they ever were, thanks to social media and the internet. It has a huge effect.

All good points but i don't believe human nature has changed, period. I do believe that the advent of mass media (starting with the telegraph) has had and still has an effect on people...in that we are more aware....being more aware equates to more knowledge...more knowledge equate to being better humans ( at least i hope so)...

I'm sorry but 40 years ago we did care about bullying; I'm not sure why anyone thinks otherwise...i was raised in the 70's (born early 60's) so i can state emphatically most of the people if not all that i knew cared about bullying....just like they do today but we didn't have any video or audio of bullying like we do today....if we had in back then there would be the same amount of outrage...the key here is that this was my experience in my world....what happened to others, i can't speak to.

As for interracial marriages , I agree 100%....i was in 4 race riots (grew up in the NOLA area) 2 in middle school and 2 in high school....again you are 100% spot on for interracial marriages and everything except bullying (at least IMHO)...interestingly enough my nephew had an interracial marriage yesterday...no one got into a fight at that one :)

I've never had kids, but I always assumed resorting to hitting them means you already fucked up somewhere along the line and have poor communication skills. Guess we'll see.

Should you be able to hit your kids? Of course! What if your 25 year old "kid" is coming after you with a lawnmower over his head to smash your head in? Fuck "hitting." You should be able to dropkick the motherfucker.

I've never had kids, but I always assumed resorting to hitting them means you already fucked up somewhere along the line and have poor communication skills. Guess we'll see.

That's always how I've felt too. I think it should probably be used as a last resort, at best.

As an adult, you should be intelligent enough to get your kid(s) to do their chores/homework, not talk back, be polite, etc, thru communication and leading by example, not violence.

If you need to use violence to control you kid, something has already gone wrong raising you kid(s).

All good points but i don't believe human nature has changed, period. I do believe that the advent of mass media (starting with the telegraph) has had and still has an effect on people...in that we are more aware....being more aware equates to more knowledge...more knowledge equate to being better humans ( at least i hope so)...

I'm sorry but 40 years ago we did care about bullying; I'm not sure why anyone thinks otherwise...i was raised in the 70's (born early 60's) so i can state emphatically most of the people if not all that i knew cared about bullying....just like they do today but we didn't have any video or audio of bullying like we do today....if we had in back then there would be the same amount of outrage...the key here is that this was my experience in my world....what happened to others, i can't speak to.

As for interracial marriages , I agree 100%....i was in 4 race riots (grew up in the NOLA area) 2 in middle school and 2 in high school....again you are 100% spot on for interracial marriages and everything except bullying (at least IMHO)...interestingly enough my nephew had an interracial marriage yesterday...no one got into a fight at that one :)

Agree to disagree. I definitely think that more information and exposure eventually leads to better human beings, but I think that comes later in adulthood. I think most kids aren't taking in as much morality in media as much as they are checking out what's cool. In other words, I think more kids are on worldstar and tmz than wikipedia in their spare time.

Glad to hear things have changed for the better in NOLA. Great city. *brofist

Find me some quotes that support this statement, that's what I want. Yup. Cos I like quotes.

Try again to find a quote to discredit what I said, because the one you provided earlier was a non-sequitor. In fact a lot of the information you posted did not actually address the post you were responding to, like this:

from http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1564&context=lcp

vVxQevO.png

So....... you know...... the thing, you see...... You see, right?

That chart has nothing to do with trends over the last 40 years. It shows trends at each year of age.

Back