should you be allowed to hit your kids?

I got spanked or swatted and trust me I deserved it almost every time. Now those fucking nuns used to whack me with a ruler that hurt more than anything my parents ever did to me. I got spanked with a ping pong paddle by the head nun principle for allegedly starting a food fight in the cafeteria. I didn

I could've done with a little spanking as a child. I was pretty horrible, thank god I see it at least now. I remember though that one time my mom washed my mouth with a soap, that sure shut me up and taught me, lol.

So yes, if other punishments don't work and children are pushing their boundaries, the last resort could be physical punishment (only like spanking or some mild). Though it's not healthy if you beat the c out of your child everytime he/she plays to loud.

Sometimes it's tempting to hit your kids but...No, you should not do it. I've read into this and overwhelmingly research finds that in the long run it's detrimental to your kids.

So don't be stupid and hit your kids.

yep. all of the research ever says nothing but negative things about corporal punishment.

I can clearly see parts of my personality that are the results of being raised with corporal punishment. Not to say that all people would experience the same thing. People like to say "well i got spanked and I turned out alright" .....yeah, I'm alright too, but I'm introspective enough to see how it negatively effected me. Again, not saying the effect is the same for everyone.

My wife and I have deliberated about our stance on spanking. My oldest son (3.5yrs) Is, at times, very hard to deal with. We have spanked him a couple of times. It did absolutely nothing but make the situation worse, and cause him to hit his little brother. Nothing works better to gain control of him them calm voices and patience. I really do think that spanking is for lazy parents, or for parents who are extremely impatient. Adults are smarter than little children (usually).

Besides that, we both felt like horrible human beings. We pretty much agree that we wont be spanking any more. Everyone always tells me "never spank your kids when you're mad"........well WTF, I never WANT to spank him unless I'm mad!

I grew up fearing my grandfather, and my Dad. I didn't have respect for them at all. Fear. Fear and respect are not the same thing. I wasn't able to have any sort of quality relationship with either of them until i was big enough not to be afraid of them. I DO NOT want my kids to look at me that way.

just to clarify the argument for stringer bell

i think hes saying that most very young children and dogs are both only capable of thinking of their immediate future and impulses.

most toddlers dont think "knocking stuff off the store shelf=a few seconds of fun, then making the world a worse place and forcing someone else's day to be worse because they have to pick it up."

they think "knocking things down=fun, sitting still=boring" so they dont "reason" like adults do

so spanking changes it to "knocking things down=spanking, sitting still= not spanking".

you can correct me if im wrong about your argument stringer

Yes, that sums it up pretty well actually. Thanks low

Back