Should you be a specific rank to learn Berimbolo ?

I was seeing a 90s Kashiwazaki book the other day and i saw something thats pretty much a berimbolo, with the exception that he transitions to the pin after rolling him over.

Ill try to scan it and show it, funny stuff, i guess its just a natural progression of affairs.

Back on track, you should learn the berimbolo if you are competing, its a competition technique and its very hot right now.

Last edited:
Their shouldn't be a minimum rank...when we start saying stuff like "That is a blue belt technique" or "that is a black belt technique" we start mistifying our martial art to the levels of TMA where some zen master will harness the earth's gravity forces and make you flip over into something that looks like a shoulder roll through the power of invisible eye lasers.

A better option, in my mind, is to have classes that focus on the fundamentals of BJJ and offer a class or two per week of advanced techniques for beginners...helicopter armbars and inverted triangles are awesome, and I think it's great and important for white belts to learn these things to keep them motivated and interested, but if adequate time isn't placed on survival, defense, guard passing and positional retention, you end up with poor BJJ players who have a loose grasp on some awesome techniques.

True, just today I was rolling with a new white I tryed going to deep half and he fell right over lol , as Bjj guys I think we take ppls balance for granted sometimes

LOL oh man, that is just gold

LOL oh man, that is just gold

The biggest problem I have drilling deep half and X guard stuff with newbs is that they can't stay upright long enough for me to actually work the technique. If you roll under hard for deep half newer guys will often just roll forward over the top of you.

I think if you are in an advanced class you should be exposed to it. I don't use the berimbolo a lot but I use the same concepts to take the back from half guard, and do rolling back takes which use the hips in a similar way, and whether or not you use the specific technique- understanding how the legs access the hips and the hips control or determine their reactions is a very important fundamental concept. Drilling berimbolos has more value than doing beimbolos.

I was seeing a 90s Kashiwazaki book the other day and i saw something thats pretty much a berimbolo, with the exception that he transitions to the pin after rolling him over.

Ill try to scan it and show it, funny stuff, i guess its just a natural progression of affairs.

Back on track, you should learn the berimbolo if you are competing, its a competition technique and its very hot right now.

It's been some months since you posted this, anyway I would be curious to see it..

Personally, I don't think who 'invented' some grappling move is important. I think the Mendes bros have done the most to develop the berimbolo game and have used it most consistently at the highest levels, that's more important in my mind. I would prefer to learn it from them above all others, and their's is the variation I use personally.

I could see why Braga would want some credit, and he was definitely doing berimbolo-esque things in the mid 2000s, but ultimately he didn't develop the position into what it is today.

I am not going to get into the whole who "invented" it debate since I am far from impartial, but I have been training with Samuel for about five years now and he was using the berimbolo the entire time. It was not some "proto" berimbolo either. He has used a wide variety of finishes and transitions the entire time I have trained with him. I have yet to see anything "new" that I have not experienced first hand in the gym.
The biggest difference between him and the Mendes brothers is the grip set up they prefer.

The move did not become well known or popular until a few years ago. Personally I hope its popularity keeps growing, I don't have much trouble countering the move.

Im really sick of hearing and reading the word berimbolo

Why? Do you berimbolo? :D

Not long ago we were drilling it at my academy. Took me a while to get it but I eventually did. I'm still far from being comfortable to use it on a live roll though.

Back