Should you be a specific rank to learn Berimbolo ?

When was berimbolo invented? Sounds stupid I know but I'm curious when did this awesome move pop up?

That may well be. I've never been in a streetfight, and I only speak from training boxing and grappling. My point is just that if the guy is INTENT on fighting, it's hard. I don't at all doubt that most people are shocked when they get hit, and also that they lack the will to fight. It's mostly psychological. When you have somebody who is hellbent on fighting, then it's tough, regardless of whether they have done training or not. You either gotta choke them or KO them.

It's interesting that people have different reactions too. I have never minded being punched in the head, I seem to have a head like a concrete block. It has never fazed me, even when I got hit with crushing shots in boxing. It would stun me, but there was no real pain. Getting hit hard to the body, on the other hand, is brutally painful. But some people, you hit them in the head, they act like the world is ending. I think people's sensors are often just wired differently.

There's no substitution for a real fight. It's simliar to boxing, BJJ, and MMA, but it's not the same thing.

I think you're selling yourself short Zankou. Even if the other guy is hell bent on fighting you, you'll have an easier time than you think.

A white belt or a low-level blue? They're going to have their hands full. Especially if they're also drunk, and have no striking.

Again, I disagree. Any grappling art is better than no training, drunk or not drunk.

The fights that I've witnessed and participated in, fights always end up on the ground, the person that ends up on top always wins. With basic BJJ/wrestling skills, you can easily gain top position against a person that has no BJJ/wrestling skills.

Seriously... If guys have never gotten into a street fight, how can you guys comment on what's needed?

If someone wrestles in high school and than quits it's still a big deal. That's why people whine about sandbaggers in naga.

When I see an altercation endurance is almost always irrelevant. You usually need less than a minute.

If the guy is drunk it's a bigger problem not a smaller one. I stand by what I said. I think a lot of blue belts who think they'll do fine in a street fight will actually get tooled if they go up against a ferocious guy who fights a lot.

Just my opinion. If I didn't see so many threads with people whining about spazzes I might have a different one.

it depends, if the blue belt is a nerdy blue belt who does not like to fight and is way smaller than the other dude, yeah, no shit... but just to change things a bit, how about the blue belt is actually a guy who likes to fight too, and for a change, is not 50 pounds smaller than the fictitious attacker?

for some reason, everytime this topic comes out, its always "300 pounds straight up murderer" vs macaulay Culkin...

This. Take the big spazzy newbie that everybody in the gym complains about because he treats every roll like the Mundial finals. Now add punches to the mix. And a handful of Jaegerbombs. And finally, sprinkle in the irrational levels of anger needed to drive someone to fight a complete stranger in public.

That's not a good combination, even if you're trained and he isn't.

High level blue with some striking training? Purple or above? Yeah, they're probably okay.

A white belt or a low-level blue? They're going to have their hands full. Especially if they're also drunk, and have no striking.

I think the striking portion is what is going to get you in trouble...

poeple talk like "some" striking is actually useful, as a matter of fact, every second you spend on your feet with so-so striking vs a street fighter is a second you are risking your self, why? even the most utter retard seasoned street fighter can throw a hard punch, and some striking isnt going to turn you into Anderson Silva, specially in a street fight... Every time I go to MT tournaments and see my hoobiest class mates fight, its well, pretty much what I see at 6 on the mourning at the gates of a club, just with gloves on... and these guys train consinstenly at least 6 to 8 hours a week... thing is, to get proficient in striking it takes A LOT MORE than that... so please lets cut the utter bs of "some striking", some striking isnt going to be worth for shit in a real fight....

now grappling is total different thing, because even the best street fighter has no clue how to fight on the ground...

I would say around 4 stripe blue some people catch on quicker but everyone tries to get ahead trying to learn the new bjj fad techniques get a solid game of basics first then start to explore

Funny how Einarr started this whole thread explosion with his "berimbolo is cancer" quote and then disappeared quickly. Lol

Inverted guards/sweeps are awesome and can be very useful in MMA or street fights, it's situational and you need to train enough to see and know the difference when you should and shouldn't apply ANY bjj technique..

Funny how Einarr started this whole thread explosion with his "berimbolo is cancer" quote and then disappeared quickly. Lol

That's what he does. Ironically he's more like cancer himself. He regularly takes dumps in threads, gets called out and never replies. I guess he's too busy taking dumps in other threads to pay notice.

I have decided to not even figure what the move is until I get my Blue belt.

Today I learned it is done from DLR, thats enough for now.

I like boring BJJ, its awesome.

When was berimbolo invented? Sounds stupid I know but I'm curious when did this awesome move pop up?

This is supposedly the invention of the berimbolo

or at least Braga claims to have invented it.

no, it isn't

he inverts to create an angle to take the back the traditional way, he is not attempting the roll to the back that is what makes a berimbolo

Not really. I think the critical thing that makes it a berimbolo is the sweep to inversion...people finish lots of different ways, often by going to the leg drag position rather than the back. I'd say that qualifies as a proto-berimbolo. The traditional back take from DLR doesn't involve any inversion whatsoever.

Not really. I think the critical thing that makes it a berimbolo is the sweep to inversion...people finish lots of different ways, often by going to the leg drag position rather than the back. I'd say that qualifies as a proto-berimbolo. The traditional back take from DLR doesn't involve any inversion whatsoever.

i think you need to complete the roll for it to be a berimbolo... it's a minor technical detail though, very pointless argument really

i think you need to complete the roll for it to be a berimbolo... it's a minor technical detail though, very pointless argument really

Personally, I don't think who 'invented' some grappling move is important. I think the Mendes bros have done the most to develop the berimbolo game and have used it most consistently at the highest levels, that's more important in my mind. I would prefer to learn it from them above all others, and their's is the variation I use personally.

I could see why Braga would want some credit, and he was definitely doing berimbolo-esque things in the mid 2000s, but ultimately he didn't develop the position into what it is today.

ha! That's soooo 2010, dude.

Lol, that's exactly how I learned it, in 2010. It was extremely effective against other dudes at my gym who had never seen it before.

Our coach who, hmmm, let's just say he's not very fond of the berimbolo and butt-scooting, taught us this yesterday.

he said
"It's unavaoidable, from purple belts and up nearly everyone does it this days. Altough it's not my area of expertise I want you to be familiar with it, know how to do it if you feel comfortable with that position, and most importantly, how to defend it". I admire his open mindset.

We did a couple of sitting berimbolo drills, then to shrugg it off we went to single leg of dlr sit-up :) our group is mostly white belts just about to turn into no second thoughts blue (3 years training). In fact we have this human pretzel guy, very flexible top player, still looking for his way around the bottom guard in class and our coach noted that the berimbolo wouldn't be a bad addition to his game.

So here you have it- even whitebelts should know berimbolo-my friend competed in World Pro and got his knee messed up due to lack of berimbolo experience in terms of passing, his adversary went for a sweep which resulted in a scramble ending up in a squishy belly down achilles/heel hook postion.

All knowledge comes in hand at some point. You need to know the mount escapes and the berimbolo.

Back