Should Silva's knee have earned him a 10-8 round?

Sure.

round by round:

1: 10-9
2: 10-8
3: 8-10
4: 10-9
5: 9-10

47- 46 Bisping takes it

No. Bisping was winning the round until the knee the knee was the only reason Silva gets a 10-9. Also that would mean rounds 1 & 2 should be a 10-8 for Bisping as he put Silva down in both.

Good Point!

Breaking News!!

Silva still lost!

giphy.gif

Bisping earns points for punching an egotistical, idle Silva......That act that he always tries to pull off is actually Silva acknowledging his competitor that he is scoring but, Silva trying to sway the judges that the only reason he is scoring is, cause he is allowing him too.
That type of stupidity has no place in the judges scorecard , nor should it.
You can not erase 5 connected jabs, with faking that you are dazed, followed by a connected shot of your own.

Weidman made him pay the ultimate price for this arrogant fighting........Sleepy Time!

No. Bisping was winning the 3rd round before the knee fook place. I gave Silva the round, 10-9, based on the knee knocking down Bisping.

he would never have gotten a 10 8 round outta that,but one follow up punch mightve done the trick.

I strongly disagree. He IMO most certainly would have gotten a 10-8 pouncing and cleanly landing a strike after the knee, if not a stoppage.

Chickens before they hatch?

I strongly disagree. He IMO most certainly would have gotten a 10-8 pouncing and cleanly landing a strike after the knee, if not a stoppage.

Chickens before they hatch?

No he woulda never gotten the 10 8,he woulda just won the round. I mean an extra strike might have fully koed bisping,but he still wouldnt have gotten a 10 8 on that. The scoring criteria is pretty clear,no matter how much you might wish it wasnt.

No he woulda never gotten the 10 8,he woulda just won the round. I mean an extra strike might have fully koed bisping,but he still wouldnt have gotten a 10 8 on that. The scoring criteria is pretty clear,no matter how much you might wish it wasnt.

I do not think we have this amount of discussion surrounding the application of the 10 point scoring system applied to MMA due to it's clarity and consistent application. I would actually go 180 degree's with this.

It is beyond clear that this in Boxing where this scoring methodology was born it is a 10-8 criteria for the round for the fighter getting quantitatively out struck but dropping their opponent.

This scoring methodology does not translate well into MMA (IMO). It is ridiculous to argue that the original 10 point scoring system developed in Boxing does not clearly translate to a 10-8, as it most certainly does.

Anderson Silva is incapable of winning a 10-8 round against anyone.
If he does enough to begin to have you thinking 10-8, the ref would stop the fight.

If he lands a few solid blows, he'll either finish or win 10-9. Or maybe lose 10-9.
This was a rare instance where the round ended. If there were 20 seconds left, then the fight would have been stopped.

Silva is an old school relic. Chuteboxe man, with the muay thai/BJJ skill set.
Not at all designed to win rounds under the Unified Rules. Not a style designed to get TD's. Not a style designed to "outstrike" opponents by landing "significant" strikes.

I do not think we have this amount of discussion surrounding the application of the 10 point scoring system applied to MMA due to it's clarity and consistent application. I would actually go 180 degree's with this.

It is beyond clear that this in Boxing where this scoring methodology was born it is a 10-8 criteria for the round for the fighter getting quantitatively out struck but dropping their opponent.

This scoring methodology does not translate well into MMA (IMO). It is ridiculous to argue that the original 10 point scoring system developed in Boxing does not clearly translate to a 10-8, as it most certainly does.

I agree that there is problems with the system,but i dont see the controversy in its application in this fight. I have more issue with the grappling aspect than anything else,and that didnt really come into play here.

I agree that there is problems with the system,but i dont see the controversy in its application in this fight. I have more issue with the grappling aspect than anything else,and that didnt really come into play here.

Not disagreeing at all. I agree, that grappling makes this "type" of scoring methodology even more difficult to consistently apply to MMA. With that said, and I agree there was no significant grappling in round three to "skew" the application of Boxings 10 point system by the definition of the scoring system as it relates to pure striking, Silva won 10-8.

If Bisping would have "spammed" TD's in the round, then it would be a far more gray area.

Pure striking (ie. Boxing KB) Bisping could have tagged Spider 30 times, and spider dropped him with one and that being the only strike of the round for him and clearly win 10-8. No dispute.

It just stands to reason that after 20 years MMA is no longer an infantile combat sport and MUST evolve from the borrowed usage of the scoring system utilized by their relatives in the combat sport world.

Not disagreeing at all. I agree, that grappling makes this "type" of scoring methodology even more difficult to consistently apply to MMA. With that said, and I agree there was no significant grappling in round three to "skew" the application of Boxings 10 point system by the definition of the scoring system as it relates to pure striking, Silva won 10-8.

If Bisping would have "spammed" TD's in the round, then it would be a far more gray area.

Pure striking (ie. Boxing KB) Bisping could have tagged Spider 30 times, and spider dropped him with one and that being the only strike of the round for him and clearly win 10-8. No dispute.

It just stands to reason that after 20 years MMA is no longer an infantile combat sport and MUST evolve from the borrowed usage of the scoring system utilized by their relatives in the combat sport world.

In that case Bisping would have also scored a 10 - 8 in the 2nd round? I agree that there needs to be an evolution,but i thought the decision was a correct one.

Should have earned him a finish... thats whats up.

The count could not answer the bell, and if anderson didnt go celebrate giving bisping double the usual time to recover it would have been over

a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

this was not the case.
*Law & Order sound

In that case Bisping would have also scored a 10 - 8 in the 2nd round? I agree that there needs to be an evolution,but i thought the decision was a correct one.

Bottom line, I don't like either fighter, but it has been far longer since Bisping got under my skin (Matt Hammill) therefore I was rooting for him to beat Silva. I was a bit disappointed after the fight as I thought for sure that the nod would be given to Spider due to overall damage to opponent and nearness of finish (Including in the final minute of round 4).

I got a serious perverse pleasure when Bis got his hand raised, and LOVED that fact that the clown prince of MMA got bitten in the arse by his actions. I am more than just fine with the decision, even though I had scored it 48-47 for Flashy!

Should have earned him a finish... thats whats up.

The count could not answer the bell, and if anderson didnt go celebrate giving bisping double the usual time to recover it would have been over

Except he did answer the bell, and the time was only one minute and 30 seconds, which actually happens quite frequently. Not everytime does the time actually exactly equal one exact minute. Yes they try to stick to it, but there are a number of times it gets extended for this reason or that. In the end, Bisping answered the begining of the round, and then even won it, so this does not apply here.

I don't get why people are saying Anderson blew it by doing the traditional, hackneyed Brazilian postfight celebration instead of finishing Bisping off. The round was absolutely, definitively over directly after he landed the knee. There was no way he could have landed anything on The Count without getting disqualified. How he chose to spend the one minute he had in between rounds was up to him.

I've debated in my head whether or not that knee merited a 10-8 round but 've decided I agree with the consensus here that one shot as the round ends does not make a 10-8 round, no matter how messed up the fighter on the receiving end is (and Bisping definitely was). Said shot could wind up having the ref stop the fight as the fighter may be out (Bisping wasn't) but I'd say it ends there.

Great fight and easily the biggest win of Bisping's career. Honestly, he's only another big win away from getting destroyed by Rockhold again.

Back