Should Silva's knee have earned him a 10-8 round?

Except he did answer the bell, and the time was only one minute and 30 seconds, which actually happens quite frequently. Not everytime does the time actually exactly equal one exact minute. Yes they try to stick to it, but there are a number of times it gets extended for this reason or that. In the end, Bisping answered the begining of the round, and then even won it, so this does not apply here.
Dude, how many times someone else is KOed, the fight is stopped and the person is back up in less than 1:30 ?

it does apply...

if that had happened mid round AS would have a win on his record right now

Ah, THAT'S why people are saying Anderson blew it. Fair enough.

Oh I am not doubting that things MIGHT have been different had Silva not celebrated. I mean Bisping was obviously quite rocked, but do to the hoopla inside the ring, Herb was dealing with Silva. We've seen it many a time though, where a fighter is hurt bad at the end of the round, and there corner helps them to the stool. I could even agree if say the time ended up ebing like 2 minutes or more, but 1:30 is that uncommon at times. It was def a weird situation we've not really encountered, but hindsight is 20/20 and the actions of all parties kind of made it a clusterfuck. I honestly think Bisping would have made it to the stool and answered the bell, but did those extra 30 seconds really do much? Remember as far as I know he didn't even get a cut man dude to the mess up, so that probably hurt him even more.

Silva's knee would have earned him the fight if it wasn't for his premature celebration. He should keep pounding on Michael.

Dude, how many times someone else is KOed, the fight is stopped and the person is back up in less than 1:30 ?

it does apply...

if that had happened mid round AS would have a win on his record right now

Except that Bisping wasn't KO'd. He even brought his hand to the side of his head to defend himself. He was saved by the bell at the best possible time. I mean an extra ten seconds, yeah Silva very well could have easily won with follow up, but he didn't, and ended up even losing the next round. We can't make up new rules as we go along because we don't like the results.

Plenty of fighters have been real hurt and been saved by the bell. hell when machida got his brain implanted through the mat by Rockhold I thought he would never be able to answer the bell either, and IMO was hurt way worse than Bisping was. Difference is Rockhold was able to take it to him the next round and finish it, Silva for some reason couldn't or wouldn't go for the kill.

I don't get why people are saying Anderson blew it by doing the traditional, hackneyed Brazilian postfight celebration instead of finishing Bisping off. The round was absolutely, definitively over directly after he landed the knee. There was no way he could have landed anything on The Count without getting disqualified. How he chose to spend the one minute he had in between rounds was up to him.

Because if Bisping had really struggled to get to his feet,Herb mightve called a doctor to look more closely at mike,and maybe the fight would have been called. Plus referees dont like it when fighters try to pull schenanigans like that. Remember when gonzaga complained he couldnt see against randy? Herb said if you cant see,you cant fight? and he still let the doctor wipe his eyes. Right after that Randy tried to take him down and gonz held the cage,herb immediatley took a point with no warning,cos hed allready done him enough favors. You dont wanna piss the ref off.

Except that Bisping wasn't KO'd. He even brought his hand to the side of his head to defend himself. He was saved by the bell at the best possible time. I mean an extra ten seconds, yeah Silva very well could have easily won with follow up, but he didn't, and ended up even losing the next round. We can't make up new rules as we go along because we don't like the results.

Plenty of fighters have been real hurt and been saved by the bell. hell when machida got his brain implanted through the mat by Rockhold I thought he would never be able to answer the bell either, and IMO was hurt way worse than Bisping was. Difference is Rockhold was able to take it to him the next round and finish it, Silva for some reason couldn't or wouldn't go for the kill.

what rule am i making up?

suppose this was mid round, silva would have been brought down off the cage and would finish bisping inside that round.

what rule am i making up?

suppose this was mid round, silva would have been brought down off the cage and would finish bisping inside that round.

It wasn't mid round though, it was directly at the bell. As it stands that is the way she does. He didn't have enough time to finish him, then the hoopla started by Silva himself. These things happen, but Silva is to blame for the screw up, if he hadn't of celebrated herb would have looked at Bisping more, and had the doctor check him out. As it stands Bisping was able to start the next round, and even won it. How many times ahve we seen fighters saved by the bell in submissions? Same thing, next time hurt him mid round then.

It wasn't mid round though, it was directly at the bell. As it stands that is the way she does. He didn't have enough time to finish him, then the hoopla started by Silva himself. These things happen, but Silva is to blame for the screw up, if he hadn't of celebrated herb would have looked at Bisping more, and had the doctor check him out. As it stands Bisping was able to start the next round, and even won it. How many times ahve we seen fighters saved by the bell in submissions? Same thing, next time hurt him mid round then.
i see your points, and respectfully disagree. :p

in my book, silva won that fight either way... 3,4,5 silva!

Jesus fucking christ fans are desperate to find a way to give him the win.

He fucking lost. That should not have given him a 10-8

i see your points, and respectfully disagree. :p

in my book, silva won that fight either way... 3,4,5 silva!

No worries, I still think Bisping took it, but it is one of those weird fights where I can understand where you are coming from, even though I don't see it that way myself.

No. That's not how 10-8 works. At all.

No worries, I still think Bisping took it, but it is one of those weird fights where I can understand where you are coming from, even though I don't see it that way myself.

I dont want to revive this discussion, but i just came across this, and i think you should take a look at it.
Article from jack slack, one of the most credible analysts in the game:

"I said already that I am not getting into the 'who should have won' but I will say that Bisping was knocked out. Any other time in the round he'd have been done."

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/bisping-versus-silva-knockout-loss-decision-win

read the whole thing. its pretty good and unbiased, despite the quote i highlighted here

Jesus fucking christ fans are desperate to find a way to give him the win.

He fucking lost. That should not have given him a 10-8

Thing is, even if Anderson got a 10-8 here, the best he could've hoped for was a draw. Bisping definitely won rounds 1, 2, and 4 IMO. Any way I look at this Anderson didn't win this fight.

Anderson Silva couldn't defeat Michael Bisping. Man, that sounds weird.

Yes and Bispings knockdown in round 2 should also be a 10-8. Bisping wins still.

Yes and Bispings knockdown in round 2 should also be a 10-8.

Half the people here don't understand what 10-8 means.

Nearly finishing doesn't mean 10-8. A knock-down doesn't mean 10-8...

One person has to "overwhelmingly dominate" the other for the round. Two guys can be going back and forth for 99% of the round, and then one rocks the other badly with a few seconds left, and that ending doesn't take away from the previous 99% of that round. It has to be very lopsided for the entire round for it to be scored 10-8.

Not when he was losing the round before the knee.

Back