Should I, or should I not finish watching Sons of Anarchy?

The Belfast stuff was kinda weak but definitely finish watching season 3.

Season 4 has some great episodes but the finale is a bit lackluster. Season 5 in general was average. Not terrible but not really any great episodes. The biggest thing that stood out about season 5 was how violent it was and how it seemed like every episode had some sort of car/bike chase.

If you have nothing else to watch its entertaining, but it doesn't hold a candle to shows like Breaking Bad or any of the flagship programs on Showtime/HBO... there are a few decent characters (Chibs, Happy) but most are wooden and/or annoying.

Lol. I remember some of the actors were pissed in interviews cause the show wasn't getting award nominations.

Season 3 is the weakest of the shows run. It does pick up for season 4 and 5, but it never matches it's quality from the first two season's. if you can stick through season 3 you'll be fine for the rest of the show, plus, your expectations will be lowered from having to endure season 3, so you might like season 4 and 5 even more.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I got to the part where they go to Ireland to get the baby and haven't really attempted to catch up. I've read that SOA is good, especially the last season but I really can't be arsed.

Seasons 1 and 2 are very good
Season 3 was good but IRA taking the baby was weird.
Season 4. I saw most episode, but I didn't saw the last episodes. It was not bad, but it was also not good. It was disappointing.
Season 5. I haven't seen that.

I think the show started really good, but each season it is getting worse.

Should I finish season 4 and watch season 5?

i think its worth it, but not nearly as addicting as some of the other shows you mentioned... personally i just blew through Justified and found it much more satisfying that SoA

some of the Sons stuff , especially action and gang warfare stuff just gets way too cheesy for me

not even close. breaking bad holds this title.

While I respect that the masses seem to agree, Breaking Bad is a show I just couldn't get behind. I watched the first couple of seasons hoping to get sucked into it since everyone I know loves it and it just isn't interesting or compelling to me. Definitely not the worst show on television or anything but it didn't draw me in. Could be that my expectations were too high, but regardless I just couldn't enjoy it. I love Justified, on the other hand and felt like that was tops before SoA.

The face/heel turns do get tedious but Sutter has a way of culminating all of the closure from a season into the finale episode which has been extremely gratifying every single time for me at this point. I don't think it's fair to compare any network television programs to premium channel programs, either, for those that keep talking about The Wire, Sopranos, etc... since those channels don't have the same content limitation that network tv has.

I've seen every season. Its not to the point were I don't want to watch anymore. I think the only show I actually started to give up on now is Supernatural.

Spoilers Below

I don't care, and the criticisms you level could be leveled at most Hollywood action movies and television. If you want realistic violence go to the projects or something.

I enjoy the show. I enjoyed the last season less than others because the characters are becoming increasingly violent and less sympathetic. Jax is becoming more like Clay, running guns, drugs and a sex trade. This is to say nothing of the vile shit he pulled on his Ex.

Terra was complicit in what the psycopath Otto did, whether it was intentional or not is sort of beside the point, it shouldn't have been surprising. Clay is still Clay, Teig is a fucking lunatic when angry, Opie is dead....

Don't get me wrong, I know criminals generally aren't likeable people, but I think a show like the Sopranos did a much better job of showing that they are people with loyalties and complex contradictions and not just a bunch of assholes. The longer Sons goes on, the more it seems that pretty much everything they do is self serving bullshit. At this point, Jax's only real loyalty seems to be to his family, and he is doing a shitty job at protecting even them.

The beginning and middle of season 3 are the worst parts of SOA. Season 3 finishes very strong though. The whole searching for the kid reminded me of the farm on Walking Dead(even though SOA season 3 preceeded TWD). It was something they should have wrapped up in fewer episodes.

Sons is a fun watch.

Spoilers Below

I don't care, and the criticisms you level could be leveled at most Hollywood action movies and television. If you want realistic violence go to the projects or something.

I enjoy the show. I enjoyed the last season less than others because the characters are becoming increasingly violent and less sympathetic. Jax is becoming more like Clay, running guns, drugs and a sex trade. This is to say nothing of the vile shit he pulled on his Ex.

Terra was complicit in what the psycopath Otto did, whether it was intentional or not is sort of beside the point, it shouldn't have been surprising. Clay is still Clay, Teig is a fucking lunatic when angry, Opie is dead....

Don't get me wrong, I know criminals generally aren't likeable people, but I think a show like the Sopranos did a much better job of showing that they are people with loyalties and complex contradictions and not just a bunch of assholes. The longer Sons goes on, the more it seems that pretty much everything they do is self serving bullshit. At this point, Jax's only real loyalty seems to be to his family, and he is doing a shitty job at protecting even them.
Good post, and I agree completely. It's not a great show, but for me it's entertaining enough to keep watching. So that said TS, if you're thinking about giving up on it, no one would hold it against you if you did.

It'll always be there if some day you change your mind and want to finish it.

The beginning and middle of season 3 are the worst parts of SOA. Season 3 finishes very strong though. The whole searching for the kid reminded me of the farm on Walking Dead(even though SOA season 3 preceeded TWD). It was something they should have wrapped up in fewer episodes.

Sons is a fun watch.

I agree

Wire, Breaking bad, Sopranos, dexter

SoA should not even be in the same sentence as these shows - it's as bad as most daytime soap operas :icon_neut

I can't stand this show. I tried watching the first few seasons. They had taken the 'what else could go wrong' scenario from the Shield and then applied it to every fucking situation.
Jax is not convincing as a 'tough guy' at all. It's pretty sad.

I bailed ages ago. I also bailed on Breaking Bad. It was getting a bit annoying, particularly his wife.
It had a major feel that the storyline would have normally eliminated some characters but because some were popular they not only remained but got more involved (the wife and his skinny side kick who, realistically would have been smeared way back). It just seemed to be 'writing for ratings' rather than taking it where the storyline should go. So I bailed on it too.

Both shows had characters etc that would make me angry and annoyed. Eventually I decided I don't need to be angry and annoyed when I'm trying to be entertained.

Back