Should a HOF fighter who is 1-4 be a MAIN EVENT?

Pretty simple: In fighting, as in music, as in any contest/performance/sport/hobby that someone is passionate about, the "best" should be based off of some kind of skill, mastery, record, or style. . . NOT explicitly "how much money they can bring in". Making a sport, or music, or art "strictly about the money" undermine's its integrity by selling to the highest-bidder/the lowest common denominator: the casual fan. If you want a sport/passion to revolve not around skill or merit but moreso around what will sell/appeal the most to the masses, then you are by nature undermining the integrity of that institution, for profit. Cool.
You didn’t address what I said. At all. You just talked around it.

In mma you still need to perform. It is mostly still about skill and merit. If you look at the top of most divisions it’s still the best fighters in those divisions. If you look at the title fights it’s still mostly with deserving opponents.

But again, try to address what I said. Do you think if you were running the ufc, you’d run it based solely off of some statistical algorithm on w-l?

As for music, it’s mostly subjective.......

I’d rather watch RDS vs Felder over any of the other no names on that card. It’s not a great fight and it’s meaningless but it’s going to be entertaining.

It's one of the weakest cards of all time, namewise, so it's all relative. He isn't headlining PPVs or anything. We literally get a card every single weekend during the pandemic, so I'm not going to complain.

I don’t think it’s free this time. Crawford vs brook is on ESPN today and I’m sure a lot of college football will be on ESPN2.

Then don't watch.

You didn’t address what I said. At all. You just talked around it.

In mma you still need to perform. It is mostly still about skill and merit. If you look at the top of most divisions it’s still the best fighters in those divisions. If you look at the title fights it’s still mostly with deserving opponents.

But again, try to address what I said. Do you think if you were running the ufc, you’d run it based solely off of some statistical algorithm on w-l?

As for music, it’s mostly subjective.......
I thought you could infer from my stance, but I'll elaborate. Solely? No. . . but closer to an algorithm than to a popularity/$$$ contest for sure. Every sport/art/leisure activity that I can think of that has become monetized/corporate has become less interesting/worse for it. I just don't like seeing a sport I love (or music, or whatever) getting hijacked to the point where its no longer about (semi) objective meritocracy and instead more about what will bring in the dough/more casuals. The subjectivity of modern art, for example, is something I can't stand. In MMA Conrad's various blights on the sport are one example, but a more recent one is all the Izzy vs Jan talk: No, we don't need to potentially hold-up two divisions (AGAIN) so that Izzy, who fairly enough is dominating his division, can go up a weight class and fight a NEWLY CROWNED champ . . . the first in almost a decade. . . *just* as LHW is starting to mix it up. Let the fighter's personality's shine (I think that's an important aspect as well), but don't let that, or the hype/$$$ it brings make you throw out merit-based rules and rankings so that you can try to "jump the shark" again.
But I'm a passionate fan/participant, not a business owner, so of course I'll run it differently than a sterile corporation. . . but what's really better for the real fans? I'd heavily argue my hypothetical style.
P.S.- I'm also not saying the UFC does NOTHING right, just that they're lured away from meritocracy, by financial wet-dreams, too frequently, and it's resulting in hold-ups, people getting skipped over, or the UFC becoming more WWE-style where your gimmick can mean as much or more than your style. No thanks.

I’d rather watch RDS vs Felder over any of the other no names on that card. It’s not a great fight and it’s meaningless but it’s going to be entertaining.
It might be a great fight, and if I've learned anything in almost 20 years of watching MMA live, it's that any give card can blow any given "stacked" ppv out of the water, if it's the actual fighting you're interested in. Of course if you have a personal attachment towards a particular fighter(s), that only helps, but I've learned to enjoy watching the nobody's more and more (fuck, the UFC have a friggin event almost every weekend). And after giving a couple "lame looking cards" a chance, suddenly those "nobodies" start becoming guys you recognize, like, and root for.

Rafael Dos Santos is still a beast at LW, his last 4 losses were against guys with significant size advantage on him at WW

Everyone said how RDA killed himself to make 155 and that's the only reason he lost.

But now all the WWs are just too big?

Everyone said how RDA killed himself to make 155 and that's the only reason he lost.

Colby, Usman, Leon, and Chiesa. He lost to the elites. That size advantage combined with their skills is a little bit too much for him.

Excuses they can’t accept RDA wasn’t the same once USADA come into the picture.

People get old. Guess chuck isn't a hall of famer nor is Silva huh.

I thought you could infer from my stance, but I'll elaborate. Solely? No. . . but closer to an algorithm than to a popularity/$$$ contest for sure. Every sport/art/leisure activity that I can think of that has become monetized/corporate has become less interesting/worse for it. I just don't like seeing a sport I love (or music, or whatever) getting hijacked to the point where its no longer about (semi) objective meritocracy and instead more about what will bring in the dough/more casuals. The subjectivity of modern art, for example, is something I can't stand. In MMA Conrad's various blights on the sport are one example, but a more recent one is all the Izzy vs Jan talk: No, we don't need to potentially hold-up two divisions (AGAIN) so that Izzy, who fairly enough is dominating his division, can go up a weight class and fight a NEWLY CROWNED champ . . . the first in almost a decade. . . *just* as LHW is starting to mix it up. Let the fighter's personality's shine (I think that's an important aspect as well), but don't let that, or the hype/$$$ it brings make you throw out merit-based rules and rankings so that you can try to "jump the shark" again.
But I'm a passionate fan/participant, not a business owner, so of course I'll run it differently than a sterile corporation. . . but what's really better for the real fans? I'd heavily argue my hypothetical style.
P.S.- I'm also not saying the UFC does NOTHING right, just that they're lured away from meritocracy, by financial wet-dreams, too frequently, and it's resulting in hold-ups, people getting skipped over, or the UFC becoming more WWE-style where your gimmick can mean as much or more than your style. No thanks.
I really don’t think the ufc is much different than it’s always been. And as I said merit is still a dominant factor.

Yoders butt shouldve been main event. Her fight sucked but atleast i got hard

RDA's previous handful of fights has been anything but easy fights, and he wasn't finished in any of them. Always game.
If CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall can get on a main card then RDA the former LW champ certainly can headline a Fight Night.

Sure, put RDA in the prelims with Holly Holm and Anderson Silva and leave the main event to Kanako Murata who hasn’t lost a fight to anyone not named Rin Nakai, that’ll quadruple the viewership.

Back