Should a HOF fighter who is 1-4 be a MAIN EVENT?

Main event is entirely a calculation about what is going to grab viewers. If the name recongition hasn't faded, they're going to get those fights.

As a fight night main event this one is good one.

It's a fight night main card, not a PPV.

RDS is a hall of famer but is 1-4 in his last 5 fights.....I think a good topic for discussion is how the UFC is kinda milking events, leading to mediocre cards....OR....UFC is ensuring fans a card practically every Saturday night so we can see up and comers and we get a weekly fix of high level fighting......so there are several points here.....I dont see how a RDS is a main event anymore but I'm grateful there is a event every week....I'm stuck in the middle.....have at it.
He's a name for the casuals to tune in for. The biggest name and the fight that people are tuning in for should be the main event regardless of record. WAY too many cards WAY too often IMO tho. I'm gonna watch because its free but I feel most of the PPV events are too watered down for the last few years. I'm not paying $$$ to watch most if them anymore, maybe only 1 in 4. Ill watch them the next day for free.

It's a free event on TV. Change the channel if you don't want to watch it.

Main event should feature the person people are tuning in to see. RDA is the most significant name on the card.
That's corporate logic. By that same logic, music festivals and venues are being ruined across the world. Continuing that metaphor, great veteran bands get less and less stage time because the mass of teens/noobs want to hear their hipster/pop band headline.
So, I'm not saying the most popular should never headline, but rather that using that as a barometer just means appeasing to the masses. If you're on corporate UFC's side (for some twisted reason), then I get , but if you're an actual fan of the sport, then no, that shouldn't be the gauge to use when determining headliners. Skill, rank/record excitement, status, and momentum should all be taken into account. . . or just who's the most popular?

RDS is a hall of famer but is 1-4 in his last 5 fights.....I think a good topic for discussion is how the UFC is kinda milking events, leading to mediocre cards....OR....UFC is ensuring fans a card practically every Saturday night so we can see up and comers and we get a weekly fix of high level fighting......so there are several points here.....I dont see how a RDS is a main event anymore but I'm grateful there is a event every week....I'm stuck in the middle.....have at it.

There’s a card every week, does it matter? Don’t be petty.

It's a free event on TV. Change the channel if you don't want to watch it.
I don’t think it’s free this time. Crawford vs brook is on ESPN today and I’m sure a lot of college football will be on ESPN2.

What RDS? Aurora?

It’s the French version of TSN in Canada. GSP does commentary for them.

And to the TS. Didn’t Silva just headline a card? Or how about some of the really crappy ME we’ve seen this year? If you’re happy about a card every week, then why make this thread?

That's corporate logic. By that same logic, music festivals and venues are being ruined across the world. Continuing that metaphor, great veteran bands get less and less stage time because the mass of teens/noobs want to hear their hipster/pop band headline.
So, I'm not saying the most popular should never headline, but rather that using that as a barometer just means appeasing to the masses. If you're on corporate UFC's side (for some twisted reason), then I get , but if you're an actual fan of the sport, then no, that shouldn't be the gauge to use when determining headliners. Skill, rank/record excitement, status, and momentum should all be taken into account. . . or just who's the most popular?
UFC has no tournament structure, no points, no seasons, rankings based on opinions (by journalists who, apparently, don't even exist), shows booked and structured like TV shows and title shots given out based on popularity. MMA under UFC isn't a real sport, but sports entertainment. After WME took over, it was even registered officially as such. Outside of pre determined outcomes, it is the absolute equivalent of Pro Wrestling. It's also a promotion promoting prize fights and not a league, so money is the only thing that matters.

And, yes, whoever sells the most tickets in the music industry should headline as well. It's not show art or show respect it's show business. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but I don't lie to myself or mark out for a romanticized, unrealistic illusion of what this whole shindig should be.

Add to it, tomorrow, Novemeber 15th, will mark exactly 12 years since RDA has been with UFC and Felder will be his 30th fight with the company. He's a literal legend, a flawless company man who's still going strong. Former champ, who actually defended the title and moved up to challenge for a new one. RDA beat Nate, Cowboy (2x) and lost to Khabib before fast food even existed. People fellate Conor for his accomplishments - we had to listen to "tree timz me size!" about the 5lbs difference between him and Nate - when RDA is even smaller. Had any other LW accomplished what he did at WW, they'd be calling him the GOAT LW. When he left the division, he left at #3. Whenever guys return to their divisions, UFC put them close to the spot they left at (Cowboy being the loudest recent example) and so Felder's probably fighting the number #3 ranked LW in the world. And if Doostin vs Hooker can headline, Felder vs Hooker can headline - then RDA can headline as well.

Yoel Romero is 1-4 too.......

UFC has no tournament structure, no points, no seasons, rankings based on opinions (by journalists who, apparently, don't even exist), shows booked and structured like TV shows and title shots given out based on popularity. MMA under UFC isn't a real sport, but sports entertainment. After WME took over, it was even registered officially as such. Outside of pre determined outcomes, it is the absolute equivalent of Pro Wrestling. It's also a promotion promoting prize fights and not a league, so money is the only thing that matters.

And, yes, whoever sells the most tickets in the music industry should headline as well. It's not show art or show respect it's show business. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but I don't lie to myself or mark out for a romanticized, unrealistic illusion of what this whole shindig should be.

Add to it, tomorrow, Novemeber 15th, will mark exactly 12 years since RDA has been with UFC and Felder will be his 30th fight with the company. He's a literal legend, a flawless company man who's still going strong. Former champ, who actually defended the title and moved up to challenge for a new one. RDA beat Nate, Cowboy (2x) and lost to Khabib before fast food even existed. People fellate Conor for his accomplishments - we had to listen to "tree timz me size!" about the 5lbs difference between him and Nate - when RDA is even smaller. Had any other LW accomplished what he did at WW, they'd be calling him the GOAT LW. When he left the division, he left at #3. Whenever guys return to their divisions, UFC put them close to the spot they left at (Cowboy being the loudest recent example) and so Felder's probably fighting the number #3 ranked LW in the world. And if Doostin vs Hooker can headline, Felder vs Hooker can headline - then RDA can headline as well.
Boxing has sanctioning bodies, has no tournament structure, no points, no seasons, rankings based on opinions, shows booked and structured like TV shows and title shots given out based on popularity. It’s been around over 100 years and has lots of different promotional companies.

I’m not sure what people think is much better. No one has come up with anything. Are some title shots questionable? Sure. Are most completely understandable? Yes.

Lol at pre-determined outcomes being the only difference with wrestling.....that’s kinda a big thing.......

It’s not about being on a side. It’s about understanding the sides.

If you think if you were running the ufc, you’d do it the way you suggest above, because it’s good business, that’s fine. If you wouldn’t, then I don’t know what point you make by suggesting that’s how it should be.

Boxing has sanctioning bodies, has no tournament structure, no points, no seasons, rankings based on opinions, shows booked and structured like TV shows and title shots given out based on popularity. It’s been around over 100 years and has lots of different promotional companies.

I’m not sure what people think is much better. No one has come up with anything. Are some title shots questionable? Sure. Are most completely understandable? Yes.

Lol at pre-determined outcomes being the only difference with wrestling.....that’s kinda a big thing.......
Boxing is the OG sports entertainment. I'm not sure what you think you're disproving here (if you were using boxing as being a real "sport").

Hmmm, I've weirdly bipolar about my response, because I completely agree with the latter half of your statements, and completely disagree with the former. In fighting, as in music, the actual product suffers when you give-in to the desires (wallets) of the masses. Sounding like Conor by brushing that all aside and saying "It's just business" is just bending-over and spreading for the corporations who LITERALLY don't care about the fighters or their skill sets as long as they bring in money. I guess you REALLY enjoy different concerts/festivals than I do, and that you support (because "it's business") the undermining of hard work, character, and skill for the sake of profit. That's on you my friend.
All that being said, I think we're both on the same page (i.e., happy about) Felder and RDA getting the spotlight here.

Boxing is the OG sports entertainment. I'm not sure what you think you're disproving here (if you were using boxing as being a real "sport").
This is combat sports. They don’t have tournaments, seasons, or standings. It’s almost impossible to create such a system that is appealing and good business. So people complain without realizing they don’t have a better solution.

These are sports. Not having a season doesn’t mean it’s not a sport. Somehow its a sport if you start every year over at 0-0.......

And I don’t mean to imply your post wasn’t mostly well though out. Just reacted to the beginning.

It’s not about being on a side. It’s about understanding the sides.

If you think if you were running the ufc, you’d do it the way you suggest above, because it’s good business, that’s fine. If you wouldn’t, then I don’t know what point you make by suggesting that’s how it should be.
Pretty simple: In fighting, as in music, as in any contest/performance/sport/hobby that someone is passionate about, the "best" should be based off of some kind of skill, mastery, record, or style. . . NOT explicitly "how much money they can bring in". Making a sport, or music, or art "strictly about the money" undermine's its integrity by selling to the highest-bidder/the lowest common denominator: the casual fan. If you want a sport/passion to revolve not around skill or merit but moreso around what will sell/appeal the most to the masses, then you are by nature undermining the integrity of that institution, for profit. Cool.

I don’t see the problem. RDA is still really good, he just can’t handle big strong grapplers at 170. If you think about it, he moved up after only two losses — getting clipped by Alvarez and then losing to Tony. He could easily have remained in the mix among the top 5-7 had he remained. Now he supposedly has gotten the weight management down, and we’ll get to see how he looks against a very solid gatekeeper to the elite.

It’s a very decent fight night main event IMO.

You do know we had Anderson Silva last week? Your argument would be better for that main event. I all fairness, this main event is decent for a fight night. The rest of the card is pretty rough

RDA put on competitive fights with Usman and Colby while being clearly way too small for the division, that just shows how skilled he is.

I watched his fight with Kevin Lee with the sound off while I was working yesterday, absolute war, it was brilliant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back