Shogun refuses to put down gloves: retirement talks

Should shogun finish his contract and fight 3 more?

• Total voters
Every fighter should retire on their own terms

Listening to others telling them to retire is why guys like Chuck get the itch and come out of retirement when they're nearly 50.
To be fair, Dana gave Chuck plenty of chances to show he still belonged in the octagon. More than he would've given anyone else. Chuck is just a fighter at heart and always will be. That's why he still wants to fight.

Yes, he should, but just easier fights.

His chances of hanging with good fighters are dwindling by the day.

Don't worry, he was just in a 3-fight win streak prior to his fight with Smith, so that means he still has enough in the tank to compete at a high level and maybe even challenge for the belt.

Amirite, Shogun fans?
:( its still possible. Lhw is shitty enough that we just might possibly get another chance for shogun to grace us with the belt.

Don't worry, he was just in a 3-fight win streak prior to his fight with Smith, so that means he still has enough in the tank to compete at a high level and maybe even challenge for the belt.

Amirite, Shogun fans?

just a minor setback, he's def LHW champ early 2020.

His knees, chin, and ko power are all gone. I love shogun but he needs to retire or maybe take a couple fights against other guys at the end of their career.

You seem to be his wife or something. Let him bang. He'll do fine.

This guy grew up dirt poor and probably pulls in 200-400k per fight still. Hard to turn that down

I think the 3 fight win streak prior to losing to Smith has him thinking he should still fight as well as the random DC callout

I am okay with giving him some winnable fights. Maybe let him go out on a win.

But no more of that fucking around with the top 10. That shit could take years off his life

He was so talented and promising when he was younger, had a pretty great career. Now I dread his fights because his body is betraying him, his skillset had eroded, and he's too tough for his own good. The game has passed him by. A season for everything and everyone.

I’m a sick human being so I voted yes.

But he should’ve retired years ago.

He was in back and forth, punishing wars way back prior to winning the Pride MW GP. His fights with Cyborg and Li'l Nog early in his career probably shaved off years of brain health, not to mention the punishment he wore in training with Wanderlei and the other Chutbox fighters.

Throw in the brutal Jones, OSP and Smith KOs in the last few years, his ridiculous wars with Hendo and Gus....as a fan im legit worriee about his brain health. I'd prefer to see him hang them up. He's 100% looking at CTE problems if he hangs them up now. The last thing he needs is more punishment against fringe top 15 fighters that do nothing for his legacy when he's already got nearly 20 years of heavy wars and KOs under his belt.

His knees are shot, he didn't evolve his striking game, and his chin gets put down at the drop of a hat nowadays.

He should listen to his family and put the fight game behind him. He's got his accolades.

I don't mind him continuing to fight but it shouldn't be anyone in the top 10. 3 fights with other battle worn legends who will also retire soon seems like the best path.

I'm always baffled by the number of "fans" that could care less if their favorite fighter or football player dies.

That's the thing there are no bums in the UFC anymore. Everybody he faces is going to want to take his head off because of his name. If he wants to fight bums he should do it in another organization.

ZZJ3.gif

Back