Shogun "pride rules safer than unified rules"!

Shogun was VERY LUCKY that he fought Jones not under Pride rules.

Jones finished him with strikes when he was sitting near the cage, made him tap.
Had Jones been able to soccer kick him, his career would've finished right away...and health too.

giphy.gif

Elbows cause plenty of cuts and concussions. But just about every strike causes concussions.

Soccer kicks and stomps probably got banned in part due to the optics of Gary Goodridge holding the cage and putting all his weight into it. That look backed the human cockfighting narrative John McCain was pushing. Can't remember which opponent that was, but pretty sure it was an ultimate ultimate tourney.

All athletes take PEDs, genius. Someone never played sports in HS
Talk about exposing your inner corruption. Speak for yourself, loser. I was a winner and not a PED using/cheating coward like you (since that's what you view the world as). Just because your false heroes are cowards and cheats doesn't mean the honest, hardworking, honourable sportsmen like Shogun and other GOATs don't exist.

Talk about exposing your inner corruption. Speak for yourself, loser. I was a winner and not a PED using/cheating coward like you (since that's what you view the world as). Just because your false heroes are cowards and cheats doesn't mean the honest, hardworking, honourable sportsmen like Shogun and other GOATs don't exist.
All these "everyone is on ped s so its okay if xyz does it"bums to justify it, are the same type of people who enabled hitler, stalin, mao and all these other insane massmurders to rise to power, "everybody is evil so its okay for xyz to be evil" is just the same mentality. Its the same personality type a 100 percent. Just saying that is especially silly that hes just doing it to be at the same level. since theyre are tons of better paying orgs where you get sponsors that allow peds completly, but jones wont fight theyre since hes a bum and would just get koed since he cant eyepoke his opponents blind @Chris Hansen ... jones is a bum and hypocrites like you destroy the sport, even in pridefc not everybody was on peds.

All these "everyone is on ped s so its okay if xyz does it"bums to justify that theyre icon is just a bum who wins cause he juices are the same guys who enabled hitler, stalin, mao and all these other insane massmurders to rise to power, "everybody is evil so its okay for xyz to be evil" is just the same mentality. Just saying that is especially since theyre are tons of better paying orgs where you get sponsors that allow peds completly, but jones wont fight theyre since hes a bum and would just get koed since he cant eyepoke his opponents blind @Chris Hansen ... jones is a bum and hypocrites like you destroy the sport, even in pridefc not everybody was on peds.
You speak nothing but the truth my bro.

All these "everyone is on ped s so its okay if xyz does it"bums to justify it, are the same type of people who enabled hitler, stalin, mao and all these other insane massmurders to rise to power, "everybody is evil so its okay for xyz to be evil" is just the same mentality. Its the same personality type a 100 percent. Just saying that is especially silly that hes just doing it to be at the same level. since theyre are tons of better paying orgs where you get sponsors that allow peds completly, but jones wont fight theyre since hes a bum and would just get koed since he cant eyepoke his opponents blind @Chris Hansen ... jones is a bum and hypocrites like you destroy the sport, even in pridefc not everybody was on peds.

You're supposed to stop pushing the q-tip in when there's resistance.

You're supposed to stop pushing the q-tip in when there's resistance.
youre fan of guy who literally scratches peoples eyes out for a living. Your hero is a sadistic drug addict junkie that isnt even sober from the painkillers(cocain) when he steps in the cage and you wine about soccerkicks and q-tips.

Confirmed- Shogun with pride rules would have been undefeated goat in the ufc.
I don't think so.
He had issues on both knees and have been hampered by it a lot since moving to the UFC.

But he got a point that most UFC defenders can't grasp.
The change in rules, change from ring to a cage is a lot of changes for anyone that came from pride.

Hes absolutly right, unified rules inflict to much damage, and are shit.
"
Shogun Rua: Pride rules safer than current unified rules
UFC light heavyweight Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua believes that stomps and soccer kicks are safer than elbows, and the current rule set has definitely hindered his fighting.

Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua is one of the few guys left in the UFC that was a top-tier competitor in Japan's Pride promotion back in the day. He went 12-1 in the promotion (with his only loss coming via injury) and won the 2005 middleweight grand prix at just 23 years old. Since his move to the UFC though, he's had a lot of ups and downs. And in a recent interview with MMA Junkie, he said part of it is the change in rules from one promotion to the other.

Pride allowed stomps and soccer kicks while not allowing elbows to the head or face, and Shogun believes that the Pride rules were actually safer. He also had to change his game up a lot because he relied on a lot of the stuff that's not legal under the current unified rules:

"For sure, the new rules hinder me. think that the rule set from when I fought in Japan was safer than today’s rules. Elbows hurt a lot more than stomps. I had adapted to their rules. So when I came to the UFC, to get comfortable, it took some time. And, truthfully, my fight style relied greatly on stomps and soccer kicks. So to me, the greatest minus when coming to the UFC was the change in rules."
[....]

"I hope that one day, the UFC can legalize foot stomps and soccer kicks. It would be great. I miss it. During the PRIDE era, I have no recollection of anyone getting hurt badly from stomps or soccer kicks. Elbows, in truth, really do hurt an opponent."
\COMMENT: "MMA Journalist" complains about soccerkicks=casual\
I do see his point about elbows, but one look at Roger Huerta getting soccer kicked into oblivion in ONE FC might make people think twice about allowing soccer kicks."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11...-pride-rules-safer-than-current-unified-rules
Soccer kicks are perfectly safe if you have a ref with an iq over 50 and hes sober.

Brazilians kicking a soccer ball is what is in theyre blood, theyre robbed by this rules and one of the most dangerous weapons that make grapplers and wrestlers standup is removed it isnt mma.
Yuki kondo was fine too after getting ragefully stomped out.

Love me some Shogun stomps and soccer kick... But I’m not sure he had the athleticism he once had during his Pride run when he entered the UFC... Could you envision Shogun getting the elevation and speed necessary to land some of the high level stomps and kicks he landed in Pride? Sure, some of them he could... but when he has to line up the stomp, toss the legs to the side and jump in the air to get the elevation needed.... I don’t know.... can’t see him doing it like he did back then.

He's wrong, but I'm sure he believes that it would be safer for HIM, as he feels more comfortable with that ruleset and more likely to win and do damage. We will never ever see either of those things in the UFC or allowed by the athletic commissions here. It'd be cool to see some of these guys fight under that rule set in a special UFC event in Asia, but I'm not even sure how something like that would work. It'd be a cool once a year or so event that the UFC could do, taking advantage of their PRIDE brand.

I can only assume he means its more dangerous to be elbowed over and over for a long period of time than taking a soccer kick ko from one or two kicks. That very well may be true.

Knees on the ground sure. Those should be allowed. Kicks and soccer stomps though... I mean I like watching them he’ll no I don’t think they are safe

The media and general public will never go for soccer kicks and stomps over elbows. No athletic commission will sign off and sanction for it in the states either. People see someone literally kicking and stomping someone in the head an infinite times more gruesome than someone getting elbowed. Nobody would want to air it, nobody would want to sponsor that, and tons of casuals will complain and stop watching. Would be a mess and a half to deal with in this day and age.
Honestly, I would also end elbows, and especially pointed elbow strikes on the ground. All it does is spray blood everywhere and break facial bones. Not really that necessary for a sporting competition.

Nothing about kicking a man in the head while he’s down, screams martial arts to me. ImHo
An elbow while an opponent is lying down is? Which martial art is that?

Knees to a grounded opponent need to come back

Where did I say anything about pinning a guy against the cage and elbow slicing his dome into what resembles a Saw movie victim? I didn’t. Martial arts are skills. It doesn’t take skills to kick a guy in the head while he’s on the ground. Maybe people that want to see that should watch those world star videos. They’re more suited to their likes I’m guessing. It just seems cowardly to me. ImHo

You didn't say that, I did. You said soccer kicks is not martial arts, but I contend that if elbowing a guys face to mush is, then soccer kicks are too. In fact any effective violence IS martial arts. The line currently drawn in MMA is the Unified Rules (more or less), One Champion and Rizin have differenr rules.

And absolutely it takes skill to land a soccer kick in a fight. If it didn't every soccer kick thrown in pride would have been some kind of cheat code to help end the fight, with everyone spamming soccer kicks, any time it went to the ground with the other guy standing it would be over...well it wasn't even close to that.... Its like any other attack, the guys good at it used it well, at the right time/opportunity. Yeah it might not ALAWYS take skill, (if the guy is practically immobile and finished), but similarly neither does dropping that falcon punch or final few punches/elbows to an all but finished fighter just before the fight is stopped.

"It just seems cowardly to you" is your bias, not logic speaking. its no more cowardly than punching a downed opponent or elbowing them.

Last edited:
Sorry bro, it's not that I dislike Shogun or something...
And of course, you know what I think about Jones.

But look at this and imagine a soccer kick from Jones...

jon-jones-shogun-soccer-kick-ufc-128.gif
Pictographic evidence will not satisfy the Pride brides. They're still waiting for OWGP Cro Cop to show up.

The media and general public will never go for soccer kicks and stomps over elbows. No athletic commission will sign off and sanction for it in the states either. People see someone literally kicking and stomping someone in the head an infinite times more gruesome than someone getting elbowed. Nobody would want to air it, nobody would want to sponsor that, and tons of casuals will complain and stop watching. Would be a mess and a half to deal with in this day and age.
Especially in this soft ass "everybody must win" society we live in today.

Same casuals who think that shit is gruesome and barbaric would go right for a kick to the teeth if they were in a street fight themselves.

You didn't say that, I did. You said soccer kicks is not martial arts, but I contend that if elbowing a guys face to mush is, then soccer kicks are too. In fact any effective violence IS martial arts. The line currently drawn in MMA is the Unified Rules (more or less), One Champion and Rizin have differenr rules.

And absolutely it takes skill to land a soccer kick in a fight. If it didn't every soccer kick thrown in pride would have been some kind of cheat code to help end the fight, with everyone spamming soccer kicks, any time it went to the ground with the other guy standing it would be over...well it wasn't even close to that.... Its like any other attack, the guys good at it used it well, at the right time/opportunity. Yeah it might not ALAWYS take skill, (if the guy is practically immobile and finished), but similarly neither does dropping that falcon punch or final few punches/elbows to an all but finished fighter just before the fight is stopped.

"It just seems cowardly to you" is your bias, not logic speaking. its no more cowardly than punching a downed opponent or elbowing them.
Go watch world star videos. They’re more what you’d enjoy. Kicking a man in the head while he’s down is cowardly and requires no skill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back