Shogun "pride rules safer than unified rules"!

capo245

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hes absolutly right, unified rules inflict to much damage, and are shit.
"
Shogun Rua: Pride rules safer than current unified rules
UFC light heavyweight Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua believes that stomps and soccer kicks are safer than elbows, and the current rule set has definitely hindered his fighting.

Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua is one of the few guys left in the UFC that was a top-tier competitor in Japan's Pride promotion back in the day. He went 12-1 in the promotion (with his only loss coming via injury) and won the 2005 middleweight grand prix at just 23 years old. Since his move to the UFC though, he's had a lot of ups and downs. And in a recent interview with MMA Junkie, he said part of it is the change in rules from one promotion to the other.

Pride allowed stomps and soccer kicks while not allowing elbows to the head or face, and Shogun believes that the Pride rules were actually safer. He also had to change his game up a lot because he relied on a lot of the stuff that's not legal under the current unified rules:

"For sure, the new rules hinder me. think that the rule set from when I fought in Japan was safer than today’s rules. Elbows hurt a lot more than stomps. I had adapted to their rules. So when I came to the UFC, to get comfortable, it took some time. And, truthfully, my fight style relied greatly on stomps and soccer kicks. So to me, the greatest minus when coming to the UFC was the change in rules."
[....]

"I hope that one day, the UFC can legalize foot stomps and soccer kicks. It would be great. I miss it. During the PRIDE era, I have no recollection of anyone getting hurt badly from stomps or soccer kicks. Elbows, in truth, really do hurt an opponent."
\COMMENT: "MMA Journalist" complains about soccerkicks=casual\
I do see his point about elbows, but one look at Roger Huerta getting soccer kicked into oblivion in ONE FC might make people think twice about allowing soccer kicks."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11...-pride-rules-safer-than-current-unified-rules
Soccer kicks are perfectly safe if you have a ref with an iq over 50 and hes sober.

Brazilians kicking a soccer ball is what is in theyre blood, theyre robbed by this rules and one of the most dangerous weapons that make grapplers and wrestlers standup is removed it isnt mma.
Yuki kondo was fine too after getting ragefully stomped out.

Last edited:
Confirmed- Shogun with pride rules would have been undefeated goat in the ufc.

I'm not sure about them being safer.

But soccer kicks and foot stomps are definitely fun. Let's get them back.

A good stomp or soccer kick to the head is safe because it usually ends a fight lol.
<{JustBleed}>

No recollection of anyone getting hurt badly.

tumblr_n0flwr6otO1sdqajoo2_400.gif

Also, not Pride but still.

roger-huerta-soccer-kick.gif

I'm not sure about them being safer.

But soccer kicks and foot stomps are definitely fun. Let's get them back.
The media and general public will never go for soccer kicks and stomps over elbows. No athletic commission will sign off and sanction for it in the states either. People see someone literally kicking and stomping someone in the head an infinite times more gruesome than someone getting elbowed. Nobody would want to air it, nobody would want to sponsor that, and tons of casuals will complain and stop watching. Would be a mess and a half to deal with in this day and age.

To set all things equal, in case Boner was roiding at the time, they should line Jon's head up like a penalty kick and allow Shogun to take the free kick.

Whistle, ref with goal post arms and all.

"
UFC light heavyweight Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua believes that stomps and soccer kicks are safer than elbows, and the current rule set has definitely hindered his fighting.

Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua is one of the few guys left in the UFC that was a top-tier competitor in Japan's Pride promotion back in the day. He went 12-1 in the promotion (with his only loss coming via injury) and won the 2005 middleweight grand prix at just 23 years old. Since his move to the UFC though, he's had a lot of ups and downs. And in a recent interview with MMA Junkie, he said part of it is the change in rules from one promotion to the other.

Pride allowed stomps and soccer kicks while not allowing elbows to the head or face, and Shogun believes that the Pride rules were actually safer. He also had to change his game up a lot because he relied on a lot of the stuff that's not legal under the current unified rules:

"For sure, the new rules hinder me. think that the rule set from when I fought in Japan was safer than today’s rules. Elbows hurt a lot more than stomps. I had adapted to their rules. So when I came to the UFC, to get comfortable, it took some time. And, truthfully, my fight style relied greatly on stomps and soccer kicks. So to me, the greatest minus when coming to the UFC was the change in rules."
[....]

"I hope that one day, the UFC can legalize foot stomps and soccer kicks. It would be great. I miss it. During the PRIDE era, I have no recollection of anyone getting hurt badly from stomps or soccer kicks. Elbows, in truth, really do hurt an opponent."
I do see his point about elbows, but one look at Roger Huerta getting soccer kicked into oblivion in ONE FC might make people think twice about allowing soccer kicks."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11...-pride-rules-safer-than-current-unified-rules
Soccer kicks are perfectly safe if you have a ref with an iq over 50 and hes sober.

Brazilians kicking a soccer ball is what is in theyre blood, theyre robbed by this rules and one of the most dangerous weapons that make grapplers and wrestlers standup is removed it isnt mma.
Yuki kondo was fine too after getting ragefully stomped out like a burning american flag in an anti america demo in the middle east.

Shogun was VERY LUCKY that he fought Jones not under Pride rules.

Jones finished him with strikes when he was sitting near the cage, made him tap.
Had Jones been able to soccer kick him, his career would've finished right away...and health too.

"

[....]

Yuki kondo was fine too after getting ragefully stomped out like a burning american flag in an anti america demo in the middle east.

out.gif

He seriously thinks foot stomps are safer than elbows? Maybe he's been hit in the head a few too many times, because no one with any sense would believe that.

Jones finished him with strikes when he was sitting near the cage, made him tap.
Had Jones been able to soccer kick him, his career would've finished right away...and health too.
Bro shame on you. I didn't think you were this delusional. Fix it bro. Fix your delusion.

The media and general public will never go for soccer kicks and stomps over elbows. No athletic commission will sign off and sanction for it in the states either. People see someone literally kicking and stomping someone in the head an infinite times more gruesome than someone getting elbowed. Nobody would want to air it, nobody would want to sponsor that, and tons of casuals will complain and stop watching. Would be a mess and a half to deal with in this day and age.

I know the possiblity of them being legalized is <1%. But I'd still love to see them.

WigglyHorribleKodiakbear-small.gif

Don't hurt badly he says?

Shogun is the same guy that once said mma isn't a very dangerous sport.

Biggest robbery of all time was when they took shogun and wandys best weapons away.

Bro shame on you. I didn't think you were this delusional. Fix it bro. Fix your delusion.

Sorry bro, it's not that I dislike Shogun or something...
And of course, you know what I think about Jones.

But look at this and imagine a soccer kick from Jones...

jon-jones-shogun-soccer-kick-ufc-128.gif

Sorry bro, it's not that I dislike Shogun or something...
And of course, you know what I think about Jones.

But look at this and imagine a soccer kick from Jones...

jon-jones-shogun-soccer-kick-ufc-128.gif
You're wrong bro. Those pencil thin legs would break if he was clean.

Open your eyes.

1. No cage in pride
2. Jones biggest weapon is elbows
3. No point speculating anyway

Soccer kicks and stomps should be LEGAL with MMA in a ring.
If it's in a cage, they should be legal within the black line.
Someone should not be stomped then their head is trapped against the cage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back