Shogun "pride rules safer than unified rules"!

Maybe because he was the 1 dishing out the bratings in pride, he never was on the wrong end of a barrage of stomps and soccer kicks.

Nothing about kicking a man in the head while he’s down, screams martial arts to me. ImHo

1. No cage in pride
2. Jones biggest weapon is elbows
3. No point speculating anyway

Soccer kicks and stomps should be LEGAL with MMA in a ring.
If it's in a cage, they should be legal within the black line.
Someone should not be stomped then their head is trapped against the cage

I agree with the second part, and the first one...well, indeed no point on speculating. However I do think that Jones would've fit not bad to Pride.
Yes , elbows are his weapon of choice, but it doesn't have to be this way. He knows very well how to adjust his game and knows very well how to tower his opponents.
Also he has very good judo throws, he's not your typical single double American freestyler.
I can see him trapping lower opponents in the corner of a ring and peppering them with knees to the face and soccer kicks.

1. No cage in pride

Thats a good compromise, i would add as a takedown defense its allowed anywhere as long as it isnt used to trap the opponent against the cage,
as seen here
susumu19.jpg

if not wrestler would just stay at the outside of the black line.

"""I have no recollection of anyone getting hurt badly from stomps or soccer kicks. """

Stomps and knees to downed opponents would definitely make more prolonged one sided beating end quicker on average.

What does more brain damage being stomped in the head twice or being elbowed and punched 80 times over three rounds?

I would be favor of stomps returning they promote more action anyways. On the other hand not so sure about knees specifically to downed opponents.

Jones is only good cause he fights blind people and is on a ton of peds, nearly lost against 40+ washed up no trt vitor and got outstriked and nearly finished by no ped sonnen, only won cause he pocked em blind. And his weak as punches couldnt finish him, shogun even said it made no sense to continue the fight since he couldnt see anything.
jon jones poking and scratching the white in belforts eyes to get out of the armbar.

Huh?!

I agree with the second part, and the first one...well, indeed no point on speculating. However I do think that Jones would've fit not bad to Pride.
Yes , elbows are his weapon of choice, but it doesn't have to be this way. He knows very well how to adjust his game and knows very well how to tower his opponents.
Also he has very good judo throws, he's not your typical single double American freestyler.
I can see him trapping lower opponents in the corner of a ring and peppering them with knees to the face and soccer kicks.
Why did he then need eyepokes against vitor when he adjust his game so well?

No recollection of anyone getting hurt badly.

Shogun stomped guys so hard it wiped his memory of the event clean along with his opponent’s. Possibly the ref and anyone sitting in the front doe as well.

The media and general public will never go for soccer kicks and stomps over elbows. No athletic commission will sign off and sanction for it in the states either. People see someone literally kicking and stomping someone in the head an infinite times more gruesome than someone getting elbowed. Nobody would want to air it, nobody would want to sponsor that, and tons of casuals will complain and stop watching. Would be a mess and a half to deal with in this day and age.

Meh they'd come around again after a few years once the shock wears off. They had the same reaction to mma in the beginning. But ya it wont happen because the moneybthat would be lost in the mean time.

People whine about the unified rules favoring wrestlers, but wrestlers don't lie on their backs...BJJ fighters do.
Nothing can be done to a guy that wants to lay on his back unless you let him back up or you take a kamikaze dive into upkicks. Let them get kicked in the head and stomped on and we'll see it even out.

Not sure about Pride rules being safer for fighters but it's 100% fact that no fighter was/is more handicapped by the unified rules than Shogun. He's not lying when he says a major part of his game was stomps and soccer kicks

I mean, look no further than his epic 2005 GP run. Literally half of his wins came via brutal finishes that would be deemed illegal in the pussified UFC

Last edited:
To set all things equal, in case Boner was roiding at the time, they should line Jon's head up like a penalty kick and allow Shogun to take the free kick.
Jones would end shogun career in pride rules even quicker. leg kicks lmao. Jones specializes in those.
Whistle, ref with goal post arms and all.

To set all things equal, in case Boner was roiding at the time, they should line Jon's head up like a penalty kick and allow Shogun to take the free kick.

In case? I understand he's only Boner when he takes his pills. ;=)

Shogun is the man.
To be able to become UFC LHW champion with your main weapon being neutralized. This shows how good he is.

looks too brutal for the public eye,i doubt if its ever legalized.

I am a Shogun fan but in all fairness he was the one doing the stomping and soccer kicking in pride whereas he’s the one getting elbowed in the UFC. I do like watching fights where kick/knees to a downed opponent are legal but safer than elbows? That’s ridiculous...

1. No cage in pride

Can legally juice.

Yea Jones in pride would have killed shogun.

1. No cage in pride

I thought Jones' biggest weapon was eye pokes?

Last edited:
Back