Shit life syndrome.

Still a lot of people ITT suggesting people should get a better job. Suggesting therefore that someone else should be doing their shit job getting paid shit and potentially suffering the same problems.

Do you see the lack of logic that position requires?

Well in this instance it's scientists observing the negative behaviours in the working population rather than anyone bitching about it.

The suggestion is that it includes immigrants so I don't think your recommendation is applicable.

Yes, I came from it myself. My family was poor, barely got by for the longest time. My parents had to work twice as hard and eventually made it out, and I had to bust my ass and avoid the bad influences around me to get farther. Many of my family members were like this early on and now have money and good jobs. Thing is, they are not all happier now than they were. A lot of it has to do with shitty parenting from the get go and poor direction as ive seen several people make it out of crap circumstances cause they simply had a better upbringing. They may have been poor as shit, but they had values and work ethic, and knew they value of a dollar.

People in first world nations get used to first world luxuries and trap themselves in an endless cycle of wanting, and never quite have enough. People who grow up in shitty neighborhoods already against the grain, do still have ways of making it out and get better jobs or lead better lives, they just get caught up the trappings of life or have the shittiest parents in the world. Most immigrants who come here from other places do in fact have it better then where they came from, they just weren't aware of how expensive some of these "luxuries" can be, and that the simple life of back home just wont do here for them now that they seen what life can be. Some of these immigrants may actually have had a great job, just came from a corrupted nation and their degrees didn't quite translate over so now they are driving cab or trucks or working at a 7-11. The positive is, they don't get strong armed into handing over money or live in fear that their daughter might get raped every other day.

Ive seen people do what appears to be shitty jobs and enjoy it, and others who have what appears to be great careers and loath it. Its not so much the jobs as it is the person and their expectations of what they possibly could have been compared to what they became. Some can just never get or have enough and nothing will ever be good enough for them. My family comes from a small island where most of them do menial jobs for a quarter of what we get paid and lead relatively simple lives, but they are the happiest people and make the most out of every day. I travelled a lot, ive been to real 3rd world nations and seen how some of these people live. Many of them would literally die so that their kids could come to the US or Canada and perhaps have a chance at something greater. These same people still manage to make the most of what they have and move along without having to resort to drugs and alcohol to ease the pain, and still compel their kids to study and strive for more.

These same people still manage to make the most of what they have and move along without having to resort to drugs and alcohol to ease the pain, and still compel their kids to study and strive for more.

Yes, in no small part because there is less inequality in their society. They likely have no aspirations to be upper class.

I think it's to do with being sold mobility that doesn't exist. From the research it seems that might be the case.

i actually have a good example of this.

got a friend who makes about 1000 euros a month plus minus as a chef

spends 300 euros on weed and 200 on alcohol and then wonders why he is poor

I used to set my goals too far off. Looked at where I was compared to where I needed to be and got discouraged. Had to downsize my plans to one thing at a time. First find a job. Was living in a dying town with no money to leave so that took 6 months (!) Then slowly grind away at that $8 an hour job until I could buy a beater. Paid a buddy to help me get it up and running.

Now I have a car so I can work 2 jobs. Another year of grinding pouring money into the car, and saving every penny I can. Moved a thousand miles away with my friend, so we can share expenses and look for better work. Found a better job, then upgraded to a more reliable vehicle.

Ok relatively financially stable now, let's work on happiness. Time to learn how to talk to girls. Should that be something I'm still learning in my 30s? Ah fuck it let's go. Start getting numbers, now another year later I have a girlfriend and I'm not really nervous talking to women anymore.

My new set of goals is to move to a better place, find a better job again, and save money to take a vacation with my girlfriend. As long as I stay focused and make a little progress every day, I'm pretty happy.

I wish I could figure out some current goals. I'm not really depressed right now, but damn if I can't find something to settle on. Sort of in the process of thinking about what goals to set.

Good for you for picking something and accomplishing it. I find downgrading your goals is one of the hardest things, since it can competely throw off your equlibrium on reality.

Last edited:
I wish I could figure out some current goals. I'm not really depressed right now, but damn if I can't find something to settle on. Sort of in the process of thinking about what goals to set.

Good for you for picking something and accomplishing it. I find downgrading your goals is one of the hardest things, since it can competely throw off your equlibrium on reality.

I don't believe in downgrading goals. I work on a backwards system

Start off by setting your 5 year goal. What's your big picture goal? Where and what do you want to be in 5 years. That's enough time to be or do almost anything.

Now you need to plan how you get there. You do this by working backwards. What do you need to do each year to get to your goal in year 5? Now you have yearly goals.

What do you need to do to get to your yearly goal in year 1? Now you have quarterly goals.

Now you wake up everyday and make sure that whatever you are doing that do is working toward your quarterly goal.

Back