Shields has better wins than GSP and beat Condit and Okami the same night!

Strikeforce was SHARK TANK city bro. Gil was a super popular guy out of there. Most people from San Fran would support him in San jose. I saw him knockout Ishida live there, crowd was nuts for him.

Gil and shields were my bjj instructors at fairtex in sf. They weren’t super popular back then either.

Nog has better wins than Fedor.
That's a difficult one. Nog has greater diversity of top shelf wins with names like Barnett, Werdum, Sergei, Couture, Ricco (even if you could argue some of them weren't their prime versions), but how heavily do you weigh 2 dominant wins over prime Nog himself? I suppose it's a quality vs quantity thing, because imo there's a sizeable gap between Fedor's 2 lopsided Nog wins and Nog's 2 best wins

Gil and shields were my bjj instructors at fairtex in sf. They weren’t super popular back then either.
Try El nino. I did a class of Shields there about 2 times. The drive up to San fran was pretty long so I couldn't go there much. I remember the crowds going pretty wild for any scrap pack guys.

It definitely wasn't bigger, mainly for a couple reasons:

- Hughes was the WW champion. Shields was coming off a highly controversial decision vs Kampmann.
- GSP outclassed and finished Hughes. GSP edged out a decision and stll gave up rounds to Shields in the feet

For someone who likes contexts so much you can't say that GSP gave up rounds standing without mentionning the reason why.

Shields is actually highly regarded and respected as a martial artist. Not so much am mma fighter but by many he is considered a demigod

Did you actually watch his fights, or just a quick glance to his record?

Out of the 7 wins you mention at least three of them - Okami, Maia, Woodley - are extremely controversial.
Shiels is an all-time great WW for sure but comparing him with GSP who barely lost a round is ridiculous
I agree. Shields found a way to grind out decisions, but his lack of finishing ability and overall risk-averse style were on a whole another level from GSP. GSP dominated nearly every one of his foes, and found a way to win when the going got tough - Shields often seemed one scorecard away from losing a decision. I give him props for surviving 2 H-bombs and still grinding out a decision, but it doesn’t mean I’m ever going to watch it again; ditto for his eye-poke-fest against GSP.

Hendo and Lawler wins were at MW. GSP man handled him. He'll be remembered as a great jujitsu guy more than anything else.
I don’t recall Gsp man handling him but did beat shields.

When he fought Maia I thought he was going to lose for sure and boy was I wrong.

Shields is probably the 3rd most accomplished WW ever.

Gsp has the most overrated and overblown resume in the history of the sport.

Beating dan hardy, 3-7 carlos condit, 0-6 all by ko josh koscheck, almost 40 hughes, journeyman lw matt serra and 6-10 thiago alves makes you a goat??? Ridiculous.

That's a difficult one. Nog has greater diversity of top shelf wins with names like Barnett, Werdum, Sergei, Couture, Ricco (even if you could argue some of them weren't their prime versions), but how heavily do you weigh 2 dominant wins over prime Nog himself? I suppose it's a quality vs quantity thing, because imo there's a sizeable gap between Fedor's 2 lopsided Nog wins and Nog's 2 best wins

I don't know.

Barnett and Sergei really sway things toward Nog imo, not to mention Couture. They both beat CC and Timmy. AA was finished by Barnett and Sergei.

Fedors dominance over Nog and comparable championship pedigree place him higher in the alltime ratings obviously.

Gsp has the most overrated and overblown resume in the history of the sport.

Beating dan hardy, 3-7 carlos condit, 0-6 all by ko josh koscheck, almost 40 hughes, journeyman lw matt serra and 6-10 thiago alves makes you a goat??? Ridiculous.
About all those fighters were riding win streaks before they lost to Georges. I know you hate him and everything but don't let hate cloud the facts. No one knew they were going to drop off soon after, they were the best at the time (bar Serra)

Shields' losses are more impressive top.

Shields is good. After the Ellenberger fight he was done

About all those fighters were riding win streaks before they lost to Georges. I know you hate him and everything but don't let hate cloud the facts. No one knew they were going to drop off soon after, they were the best at the time (bar Serra)

I think the point i was trying to make is more that he only fought two legends lw bj penn who imo beat him the first fight and after getting destroyed by hughes in matts prime, he finally beats him when matt was almost 40. Add sheilds as a legend if you want and you still have a terrible resume with zero finishes. How can taking the dan hardys and josh koschecks of the world to decisions be considered goat material. Its hogwash.

I think the point i was trying to make is more that he only fought two legends lw bj penn who imo beat him the first fight and after getting destroyed by hughes in matts prime, he finally beats him when matt was almost 40. Add sheilds as a legend if you want and you still have a terrible resume with zero finishes. How can taking the dan hardys and josh koschecks of the world to decisions be considered goat material. Its hogwash.
He definitely played it safe I know that but once again, he fought the guys who were at the top at the time. No one had beaten Dan Hardy before he fought GSP and Koscheck always floated around the top 5 range and ended up getting it when he basically started talking shit after beating Daley which again, isn't GSP's fault.

Strikeforce-Fedorvs.Rogers-8.JakeShieldsvs.JasonMayhemMiller.jpg

Shields is a top 5 WW of all time no doubt. But GSPs win over Shields is greater than any win on Shields resume. They both fought in thieir prime and GSP got the better of it.
Greater than any...? At WW, sure, but Shields absolutly destroyed Hendo after eating his best bombs.

Also, the promo clip for GSP vs Shields was great. I'd post it but can't be bothered.

Back