Shields has better wins than GSP and beat Condit and Okami the same night!

What’s with these stupid amount threads today “So and so’s career is better than this persons! I’m not wrong!”

It’s not a new thing to do, but it seems someone told the kids it was popular? Or just blatant non creative trolling Smh

GSP has alot of haters on this forum

I think he gets missed because his accomplishments are spread across two divisions. He's recognized as a top welterweight, even though his most notable accomplishments were really in the middleweight division (in Strikeforce).
Like he was a p4p great because he was a ww who beat some of the top mw's in his era, but he was never the best ww or mw, so it's hard to give him more cred than guys who were clear divisional #1s. Hendo kind of has the same problem, which is funny cause he's Shields' best win.
Shields and Fitch both spent their careers relatively under the radar because the bulk of their accomplishments were outside UFC/Pride, and because there was nothing else to get fans excited about.

If they had more charisma, or highlight reel finishes, or twitter wars, or literally anything to garner the attention of the average fan, then maybe.

Gil and Alvarez had those things. Fitch and Shields did not.

They had incredible careers. But because they are plodders without charisma they didn't capture the average fan attention, so their careers were overlooked well before they retired.

The fault is not on them. It's on the fannation. Waddyagonnado.

Truly the most interesting saga about them is, a) why are they so underrated, and b) who's better between them? And unfortunately, the majority of fans need to be more interested than that to care.

It definitely wasn't bigger, mainly for a couple reasons:

- Hughes was the WW champion. Shields was coming off a highly controversial decision vs Kampmann.
- GSP outclassed and finished Hughes. GSP edged out a decision and stll gave up rounds to Shields in the feet
Kampmann fight was pretty clear cut for shields imo. I thought the Woodley fight was closer. I agree him finishing Hughes was (and no pun intended) huge. But the fact is that Shields resume is pretty insane and the best one GSP defeated.

Shields and Fitch both spent their careers relatively under the radar because the bulk of their accomplishments were outside UFC/Pride, and because there was nothing else to get fans excited about.

If they had more charisma, or highlight reel finishes, or twitter wars, or literally anything to garner the attention of the average fan, then maybe.

Gil and Alvarez had those things. Fitch and Shields did not.

They had incredible careers. But because they are plodders without charisma they didn't capture the average fan attention, so their careers were overlooked well before they retired.

The fault is not on them. It's on the fannation. Waddyagonnado.
Gil was a hometown hero in San Jose (I should know) and came into the UFC losing a fight he arguably won against a fairly disliked champ. Eddie just had multiple fight of the years and was always a dope guy to watch. The slander on these 2 (especially Eddie) is fuckin absurd. Their resumes are some of the best ever at LW.

Gil was a hometown hero in San Jose (I should know) and came into the UFC losing a fight he arguably won against a fairly disliked champ. Eddie just had multiple fight of the years and was always a dope guy to watch. The slander on these 2 (especially Eddie) is fuckin absurd. Their resumes are some of the best ever at LW.
Agreed.

But even slander will make them be remembered longer than Fitch and Shields. Negative attention is arguably better than being overlooked.

I'm talking on a macro level here. Non hard core fans.

Regardless, I don't mean to conflate here. Gil and Eddie came into the UFC more bonafide than Fitch and Shields did. Slightly more (top 5 vs top 10).

Well yeah that will happen when you're the GOAT lol

It seems Im talking to another fanboy lol.

GSP has a legit case to be the GOAT, just like Silva, Jones, and even Fedor, Aldo or Johnson have.

GSP has more fanboys though, I guess because of his nice character, good looks and also being North American could play a role there. Definitely its not because of his exciting fighting style and finishing ability.

Agreed.

But even slander will make them be remembered longer than Fitch and Shields. Negative attention is arguably better than being overlooked.

I'm talking on a macro level here. Non hard core fans.
Yeah Shields has huge wins in random orgs and or won them by playing guard and sweeping his guys to lay n pray on top. Fitch seems like a chill enough guy but his fights are horribly boring to watch 99% of the time.

Hughes x2
Koscheck x2
Prime Bj x2
Hendricks
Condit
Diaz
Shields
Prime Alves
Hardy
Sherk
Trigg
(Bisping at MW)

Also when you are comparing resumes between two fighters and one fighter has the other fighter on his resume, I feel like that has to be weighted towards something as well.

I’m sorry but that’s better than Shields’ resume

Kampmann fight was pretty clear cut for shields imo. I thought the Woodley fight was closer. I agree him finishing Hughes was (and no pun intended) huge. But the fact is that Shields resume is pretty insane and the best one GSP defeated.

You have a point but I disagree.

To me, a great win is so by a combination of quality of opponent + quality of performance + accomplishment (if its for a tittle or whatever). So from my point of view, neither Shields nor Hendricks were the best win in Shields career, although they are right up there.

If you want to go by quality of opponent alone, which seems to be your approach, I highly doubt Shields was a tougher opponent than pre-USADA Hendricks, or even Bisping considering the size dissadvantage.

Gil isnt from San Jose (I def know, no "should" involved) and not regarded as a "hometown hero" in Shark City or Santa Clara County in general.

Gil isnt from San Jose (I def know, no "should" involved) and not regarded as a "hometown hero" in Shark City or Santa Clara County in general.
Strikeforce was SHARK TANK city bro. Gil was a super popular guy out of there. Most people from San Fran would support him in San jose. I saw him knockout Ishida live there, crowd was nuts for him.

ummmm....fedor destroyed nog 3x...that kind of beats whatever nog did....if a fighter beat you, nothing you do, can ever undo that.

Brilliant take.
Hallman >> Hughes

Back