Sherdog Rankings: Phil Davis > Gus

Well... umm... davis did beat gus... and davis' only loss is to someone higher ranked than gus...

With that said, if they were to rematch, I think Gus would win, ergo I believe Gus should be ranked higher. Many disagree, I would suggest they are wrong.

Think Gus is a lot closer to shot at Jones than Davis so I don't think it really matters. Don't think both fighters give a fuck anyways.

there was already a thread on this with many pages of discussion. why not just post in there?

I disagree with it. Since their fight nearly 3 years ago (which was competitive) they've taken completely different paths in terms of competition level. Maybe it's because Davis was more green than Gustaffson, idk. Davis was injured as well, now that I think about it. But after Gus lost, he fought Diabate, Te Huna, Hamill, Vladdy, T. Silva, and Shogun. Davis fought Rodney Wallace, Tim Boetsch, Lil Nog, Rashad, and Prado. Props to him for beating Lil Nog as that's nothing to sneeze at but he also came up short in his biggest challenge in Rashad, while Gus rose to the occasion beating guys like Silva and Shogun.

Davis is benefitting from that one win a few years ago. He wasn't the one who beat Silva and Shogun, Gus was, and it's kind of annoying seeing Davis above Shogun when he hasn't really done anything to earn it.

Well... umm... davis did beat gus... and davis' only loss is to someone higher ranked than gus...

With that said, if they were to rematch, I think Gus would win, ergo I believe Gus should be ranked higher. Many disagree, I would suggest they are wrong.

300px-TheArchitectMatrix.jpg

Dumb imo. Gus has fought better competition since their fight and beat a higher ranked fighter than Davis has.

Based on what exactly? His only loss is to Rashad Evans.

Since when are rankings bassed on numbers of losses?

I think its on who you have beaten honestly.

With that being said, rankings should not matter. I think they are pretty shitty and no one really agrees on them.

if lyoto beats hendo he should be ranked number 2 the him and shad can rematch

It shows Jackson at #10 and Teixeira as borderline. If Jackson wins would it be able to move him up the rankings or would it just cement him at 10? And would Glover be able to take the 10 spot from him if he wins? Or could Jackson still keep the 10 spot even if he loses a close fight?

Gus still has a loss to Davis, how do you compensate for that. Does Davis just pose a stylistic nightmare for Gus every time or does Gus's wins push him ahead.

They wont fight each other but I would love to see them fight again. Davis to me is the surer bet, but we will see when Davis steps up in competition, styles make fights.

Last edited:
I like how the same exact people from the last thread are coming in here lmao. You guys really love Gustaffsson.

Since when are rankings bassed on numbers of losses?

I think its on who you have beaten honestly.

With that being said, rankings should not matter. I think they are pretty shitty and no one really agrees on them.

It's pretty weird logic sometimes. People use losses rather than wins to prop up a fighter. It happens a lot with Bisping and it was pretty much the only thing people were hanging on to when Vitor fought Jones. If a fighter only has lost to the best AND beaten some of the best, it works... but if they don't have any top wins to balance it out, it just makes them look like they can't win that big fight.

It's pretty weird logic sometimes. People use losses rather than wins to prop up a fighter. It happens a lot with Bisping and it was pretty much the only thing people were hanging on to when Vitor fought Jones. If a fighter only has lost to the best AND beaten some of the best, it works... but if they don't have any top wins to balance it out, it just makes them look like they can't win that big fight.

True.

But lets use Alex v Davis.
Who has looked more impressive, and who has beaten the better competition?

Phil went on to wagner prado, and alex went to shogun.

True.

But lets use Alex v Davis.
Who has looked more impressive, and who has beaten the better competition?

Phil went on to wagner prado, and alex went to shogun.

Now....if Alex fought Wagner Prado and Phil fought Shogun, would this thread exist?

That fight was almost three years ago when they were unranked prospects. In simple ranking terms Davis beat an unranked LHW. They've both fought 6 times since, Davis going 4-1-1 and Gustafsson going 6-0. Gustafsson's wins are so much better it's not even close. Davis only has one good win that being Lil' Nog who was ranked #7 - #10. Gustafsson's best win is obviously Shogun who was ranked no lower than #4. Not to mention Sherdog had Davis at #6 and Gustafsson at #7 BEFORE the Shogun fight. But apparently a fight almost three years ago is more impactful on rankings.

Back