Sherdog Rankings: Phil Davis > Gus

Gus has beaten better competition? Sure...but not competition with actual wrestling. Sure Davis got schooled by Rashad, but he hung in there for five rounds. I'd like to see how Gus. will deal with Jones or Rashad.

The he beat Shogun argument is not what it used to be

5-5 in the UFC

Gus has beaten better competition? Sure...but not competition with actual wrestling. Sure Davis got schooled by Rashad, but he hung in there for five rounds. I'd like to see how Gus. will deal with Jones or Rashad.

yeah, matyushenk and hamill don't know sh't about wrestling :rolleyes:

and since when are ranking based off of how many wrestlers you've beaten? who's davis beaten that's such a great wrestler? evans made him look like he didn't know what he was doing.

The he beat Shogun argument is not what it used to be

5-5 in the UFC

the "he beat lil nog argument" is worth even less. he lnp'd hogerio, and minotouro has an abysmal record in the ufc. using the "he beat gustafsson(2.5 years ago) is also suspect. let's throw babulu ahead of shogun while we're at it.

You've obviously missed the point but keep rambling on about your favorite fighter for us.

and you missed my point. please keep assuming you know who my favorite fighter is though. heaven forbid that someone try to make a logical and rational argument without being accused of nut-hugging.

Phil beat Gus until Gus beats him or wins the belt from JJ he won't be above Phil anytime soon just for beating Shogun and Thiago.

and you missed my point. please keep assuming you know who my favorite fighter is though. heaven forbid that someone try to make a logical and rational argument without being accused of nut-hugging.

Look at this:

I think this is this exactly how a lot of people are judging rankings and that's why they're confused. That's just not how the rankings actually work...

The ranking system does not use the "what have you done for me lately" philosophy, Sherdog posters are the ones that do. Currently, the rankings correctly have Davis over Gus, the posters here are the ones trying to say that's wrong when, in reality, they're just using flawed logic.

This is a logical and rational argument. Your argument is crap.

Phil beat Gus until Gus beats him or wins the belt from JJ he won't be above Phil anytime soon just for beating Shogun and Thiago.

images

5/6, or 6/5...who cares? I'd put Mauler ahead of Davis, but it'snot something to take offense to.

Look at this:

This is a logical and rational argument. Your argument is crap.

that's a load of sh't. you can't justify ranking davis over gustafsson in one breath then ignore the fact that evans is ranked ahead of machida. it's obviously inconsistent and moronic. but if the shoe fits...

I think all of it is a mess. The rankings of Shogun, Gus, Rashad and Lil Nog are all face palm worthy.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f44/rashad-lyoto-shogun-davis-gus-wtf-2336293/

What's funny about Gus vs Davis is, besides the fact that you really can't compare the level of competition and wins they had these last 30+ months since they fought at the beginning of both their UFC careers, that whenever Alex wins it seems like Phil is pushed up the rankings. And when Phil loses he will never fall lower than Lil Nog (who doesn't belong in the top 10 in the first place) or Alex. The way they are ranking him it's very possible that we'll see Alex beating another top 5 and pushing Phil all the way to #2.

So it's more than just inaccurate, it's retarded. You've got some guys who are fighting and beating actual competition - and then you have guys like Phil, Rashad and Lil Nog climbing the ranking due to inactivity, dominating losses and wins over UFC rookies? Lil Nog got beat by Brilz and Bader - beat Tito - and then Phil beats him, loses to Rashad, beats a rookie and somehow he ends up as a top 5 LHW? Alex beats a who's who of guys you don't want to face on your way up in a 6 fight 30+ months win streak and is still at 6:th?

It just doesn't compute. If his name had been american or brazilian there's no way in hell he'd been 6:th. Shitty rankings and "let's wait and see" mentalities are only reserved for those who are Canadian, European, Korean or Japanese. It's sad but true.

Here's just how moronic Sherdog is in their underhanded nepotism:

Ben Askren is ranked higher than Rory Mac.

Ben Askren...

America.

Fuck yeah.

the "he beat lil nog argument" is worth even less. he lnp'd hogerio, and minotouro has an abysmal record in the ufc. using the "he beat gustafsson(2.5 years ago) is also suspect. let's throw babulu ahead of shogun while we're at it.

Rogerio is 3-2 in the UFC.

I think this is this exactly how a lot of people are judging rankings and that's why they're confused. That's just not how the rankings actually work...

The ranking system does not use the "what have you done for me lately" philosophy, Sherdog posters are the ones that do. Currently, the rankings correctly have Davis over Gus, the posters here are the ones trying to say that's wrong when, in reality, they're just using flawed logic.

That isn't how Sherdog rankings work but it is actually how proper rankings work. Sherdog has some of the most abysmal rankings for MMA.

that's a load of sh't. you can't justify ranking davis over gustafsson in one breath then ignore the fact that evans is ranked ahead of machida. it's obviously inconsistent and moronic. but if the shoe fits...

I don't agree with Evans over Machida, let's just concede that rankings suck and knockouts rule.

Back