Sherdog Rankings: Phil Davis > Gus

I disagree with it. Since their fight nearly 3 years ago (which was competitive) they've taken completely different paths in terms of competition level. Maybe it's because Davis was more green than Gustaffson, idk. Davis was injured as well, now that I think about it. But after Gus lost, he fought Diabate, Te Huna, Hamill, Vladdy, T. Silva, and Shogun. Davis fought Rodney Wallace, Tim Boetsch, Lil Nog, Rashad, and Prado. Props to him for beating Lil Nog as that's nothing to sneeze at but he also came up short in his biggest challenge in Rashad, while Gus rose to the occasion beating guys like Silva and Shogun.

Davis is benefitting from that one win a few years ago. He wasn't the one who beat Silva and Shogun, Gus was, and it's kind of annoying seeing Davis above Shogun when he hasn't really done anything to earn it.

Great post, should have been the thread right there.

Well... umm... davis did beat gus... and davis' only loss is to someone higher ranked than gus...

With that said, if they were to rematch, I think Gus would win, ergo I believe Gus should be ranked higher. Many disagree, I would suggest they are wrong.

Gus should be ranked higher anyway because he's beaten better competition than Davis ever has (Shogun).

Well.. Seeing as Gus and Davis are like black guy bro's together maybe they talked about this and Gus is cool with it. He is after all the #1 Contender IMO

Davis only significant win since their fight was a gift over Nog.

Sherdog rankings are retarded, this is why I don`t really pay attention to them.

Based on what exactly? His only loss is to Rashad Evans.

But he has no top 5 wins either. Not saying that he couldn't beat someone in the top 5, but we should go by thinsg that have happened, not things that might happen. Gus beat top 5 Shogun. Also, inb4 Emjay saying rankings don't matter.

Maybe because Gus has only been fighting guys whose styles match up well for him?

Throw a wrestler at him and we'll talk about him being ranked higher than Davis.

A win over Shogun and Silva doesn't mean as much as it used to.

I made a thread on this a while back after the MMAweekly rankings.

Its a joke....Davis does not deserve a top 5 ranking or to be ranked over Gus

Maybe because Gus has only been fighting guys whose styles match up well for him?

Throw a wrestler at him and we'll talk about him being ranked higher than Davis.

But a win over Lil' Nog still means a lot?

Davis should not be top 5

So who would you rank above him?

He's beaten Lil Nog and Gus (#8 and #6). He'd beat Bader. At this point, I think he beats a fading Rua. Gus hasn't fought a good wrestler since Davis. Davis only lost to Rashad, who is clearly #2 right now (sorry Hendo).

Number 5 is about right.

You mean a #1 contender fight vs the 4th ranked LHW in the world? Means more then it ever did.

He KO'd Vladdy and TKO'd Hammil, there are your wrestlers. Aside from Rashad you have no one that has top level wrestling at LHW that Gus hasnt fought.

Who has Davis been fighting??? Prado? Striker with little ground game......Rogerio? Boxer with good BJJ that Davis want no part off. Boetch? All guys that Davis matches up well with using his wreslting (and fear of striking)

So who would you rank above him?

He's beaten Lil Nog and Gus (#8 and #6). He'd beat Bader. At this point, I think he beats a fading Rua. Gus hasn't fought a good wrestler since Davis. Davis only lost to Rashad, who is clearly #2 right now (sorry Hendo).

Number 5 is about right.

Machida, Jones, Rashad, Hendo, Gus, should all be ranked over him. And dont rank Gus at #6, when Davis fought him he wasnt close to top 10. It doesnt count as a big win for him from 2 1/2 years ago. If he beat him now its a different thing.

Davis maybe hanst lost...but he hasnt really beaten anyone good aside from Rogerio, and thats not even a big win now.

lol. Stupid thread... are rankings built off of hype or merit? Davis beat Gus which means Davis > Gus. Math is simple guys.

Davis hasn't lost to anyone Gus beat so there's no reason Gus should jump over the guy that finished him. Machida and Rua are the only exception to the rule in my eye. Machida has beaten tougher competition, they split wins and before the loss to Gus I had Shogun over Machida.

#1 Jones
#2 Henderson
#3 Machida
#4 Rashad
#5 Davis
#6 Gus
#7 Shogun
#8 Griffin
#9 Bader
#10 Rampage

Davis beat him. Therefore, he is better. Therefore, he should be ranked higher.

Davis should not be ranked higher. Having beat a fighter previously does not mean you should be perpetually ranked higher. Gustaf has more wins, and higher quality wins. Also he beat Shogun at his own game and pretty much everywhere else in the fight whereas Davis looked like a fish out of water against Rashad.

Either way rankings are dumb.

lol. Stupid thread... are rankings built off of hype or merit? Davis beat Gus which means Davis > Gus. Math is simple guys.

Davis hasn't lost to anyone Gus beat so there's no reason Gus should jump over the guy that finished him. Machida and Rua are the only exception to the rule in my eye. Machida has beaten tougher competition, they split wins and before the loss to Gus I had Shogun over Machida.

#1 Jones
#2 Henderson
#3 Machida
#4 Rashad
#5 Davis
#6 Gus
#7 Shogun
#8 Griffin
#9 Bader
#10 Rampage

Rankings are based off of merit, however having beat someone in the past doesn't mean you are automatically ranked higher. Rankings are more of a "what have you done for me lately" thing and should only take into account the ranking of the opponent WHEN you beat them. Phil Davis' best ranked win (at the time it happened) was against Rogerio.

Rankings are based off of merit, however having beat someone in the past doesn't mean you are automatically ranked higher. Rankings are more of a "what have you done for me lately" thing and should only take into account the ranking of the opponent WHEN you beat them. Phil Davis' best ranked win (at the time it happened) was against Rogerio.

I think this is this exactly how a lot of people are judging rankings and that's why they're confused. That's just not how the rankings actually work...

The ranking system does not use the "what have you done for me lately" philosophy, Sherdog posters are the ones that do. Currently, the rankings correctly have Davis over Gus, the posters here are the ones trying to say that's wrong when, in reality, they're just using flawed logic.

You mean a #1 contender fight vs the 4th ranked LHW in the world? Means more then it ever did.

He KO'd Vladdy and TKO'd Hammil, there are your wrestlers. Aside from Rashad you have no one that has top level wrestling at LHW that Gus hasnt fought.

Who has Davis been fighting??? Prado? Striker with little ground game......Rogerio? Boxer with good BJJ that Davis want no part off. Boetch? All guys that Davis matches up well with using his wreslting (and fear of striking)

That's Davis only lost.

Now be honest, do you really think Gus could beat Rashad?

Back