SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 14 Discussion - Barry Lyndon

I don't really feel qualified to answer that, lol. I've seen almost all of his movies, I think... but I'm not an expert and I haven't watched any of them recently. All of his movies feel similar to me. I liked what @Bullitt68 posted about his immense care... I always feel like his movies are so carefully crafted, they feel almost too smooth, but it's good, IDK. I feel like he conveys a lot of truth, but it's very intellectual. I don't feel pulled in emotionally. But, IDK, I don't even want to say bc I haven't watched any besides this one in several years. Maybe The Shining really pulled me in, but it was not in the sense that I related to the characters.

I love Aronofsky because he makes characters that make sense to me, that have had similar experiences to my life or that reflect truths I've seen in my life. I saw a lot of truth in Barry Lyndon but it didn't hit me like, 'wow, this is you on screen!' - you know? I don't if I've felt that way about any Kubrick movie.

I'd agree that Kubrick's movies are generally cold and engage the viewer more on an intellectual level than on an emotional one. Chris Nolan actually reminds me of Kubrick in this way, though I don't think Chris Nolan is nearly as good of a filmmaker.

How do you think it compares to other Kubrick films?

It's funny you mention that, because for the first half of the film, I kind of had in the back of my mind Barry playing it like a vessel of societal circumstance, like in A Clockwork Orange, how things would just happen to Alex that were common to that world and representative of the time.

Does anybody get an 'Alex' vibe from Barry? He's temperamental, an opportunist, and gets away with what he can with the abiding excuse that everyone else is in on it, why not me? Mind you, they are in totally different predicaments and Alex has been bred for a little bit of the ultra-violence and is a straight up thug and has no sense of honor like Barry portends to.

Also, A Clockwork Orange is about a different thing altogether, right? It's a critique satire about modern society set in a dystopian world. It's main theme has to do with social conditioning and free will and human nature, etc.

Another example of vessel of societal circumstance would be Forrest Gump, but don't see how Barry Lyndon fits in with that, either.

Just a random thought I thought I'd share.

BTW is it just me or has anyone else had Ozzy's"Perry Mason" running through their heads, but with Barry Lyndon substituted for Perry Mason?

Anyone? Is it just me? Okay, it's probably just me. . .

BTW is it just me or has anyone else had Ozzy's"Perry Mason" running through their heads, but with Barry Lyndon substituted for Perry Mason?

Anyone? Is it just me? Okay, it's probably just me. . .

Well, they both got a heavy beating base/cello-line that don't quit and helps to further the momentum of the film/Ozzy song... :D

Baum-dum-de-dum-dum-DAH

I DARE you to play these two simultaneously.

It's like frickin' Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon mix-mash all over again!!! :eek:

This movie is definately not normally my type at all; I really enjoyed it though. Although it was a bit slow for me, there is no substitute for excellent character development and great cinematography. I enjoyed part 1 much more than part 2, the latter of which was predictable to me, but this seems to be a possible theme for Kubrick movies, ie. Full Metal Jacket. Solid 7/10, with part 1 being closer to 8/10.

Does anybody get an 'Alex' vibe from Barry? He's temperamental, an opportunist, and gets away with what he can with the abiding excuse that everyone else is in on it, why not me? Mind you, they are in totally different predicaments and Alex has been bred for a little bit of the ultra-violence and is a straight up thug and has no sense of honor like Barry portends to.

They are also, in a sense, both without parential guidence. Sure Alex may actually have parents, but when it comes to actual parenting they seem to not be presant at all. They are both boys that have grown up mostly on their own.

Also, A Clockwork Orange is about a different thing altogether, right? It's a critique satire about modern society set in a dystopian world. It's main theme has to do with social conditioning and free will and human nature, etc.

On the subject of thematic similarities between the two, a theme in most of Kubrick's films that many scholars have pointed out is that they deal unfavorable with authority figures. In Clockwork Orange, you obviously have the abusiveness and immorality with which the handle Alex. And most of the aristocrats in Barry Lyndon aren't exactly the kind of people you want in power ruling your country. Not to mention how absurd their decorum can become.

It's main theme has to do with social conditioning and free will and human nature, etc.

Well... there is a theme of classism in Barry Lyndon. Notice how many aristocrats sneer at Barry's origins. They call him a low-born ruffian. Common Irish Trash. And so on. That how they see people of the lower classes. They assign labels, stereotypes of them to conceptualize them in some unfavorable light. That how they see Barry's human nature, which I guess you can link to how they try to control people's human nature in Clockwork Orange.

Well, they both got a heavy beating base/cello-line that don't quit and helps to further the momentum of the film/Ozzy song... :D

Baum-dum-de-dum-dum-DAH

"Whooo can we gettt on the case????? We need Barrrrrryyyyyyyy Lyyyyndonnnnn!"

That's what I've been hearing in my head for two days now LOL.

I DARE you to play these two simultaneously.

It's like frickin' Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon mix-mash all over again!!! :eek:

I accepted this dare but I have to say I'm clearly not quite feeling it like you are.

Would you tell me more about this please?

I'm mainly working off of Vincent LoBrutto's biography of Kubrick, according to which Winters was just the ultimate diva nightmare. She wanted to do everything her own way and for everyone to treat her like a queen and she pretty much did nothing without a fight. Added to which, she got sick at one point, which delayed production. She was also big into politics, and while I don't remember the exact details, she either wanted to, which caused a fight, or just up and did, which caused more friction, take a leave of absence to tour with JFK. Kubrick very nearly fired her, but I think the combination of not wanting to reshoot and really liking despite her obnoxiousness what he'd already shot of her is what made him just power through and put up with her shit.

Why no love for Spielberg?

In an effort to keep this brief rather than rant-like: There was an edge to his early movies that was lost after Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I've said this before on here, probably in greater detail, but he once said (this was like 10 years ago or something), looking back on that film, that if he would've made the film today he wouldn't have had Richard Dreyfuss get on the ship. That is at the heart of my dislike. To borrow an insult from The Joker: His balls dropped off. And you can see that clear as day in War of the Worlds, a brilliant fucking 10/10 thrill ride for so much of its running time but which drops off towards the end before just getting flushed down the fucking toilet with the goofy happy ending.

And then, in addition to that intellectual critique, most of his shit just isn't cool. Indiana Jones is lame as fuck, ET and Hook and all that kiddy shit doesn't do anything for me, Jurassic Park was awesome when I was 6 but it doesn't hold up, his heavy-handed political shit in the '90s sucked ass (yes, I'm saying Schindler's List sucked ass), Saving Private Ryan is hands down the most overrated war movie ever.

I'm just not a fan of the man.

The one scene I really enjoyed was the final duel scene, THAT looked like an amazing painting. I mean the whole movie was amazing visually, but that scene was my favorite, I think.

The craziest thing to me is that, on shit like 2001, with all of the effects and the models and shit, Kubrick storyboarded, as you would expect, but on most of his stuff, he'd come up with shit on the set. He tried not to think about how to structure shit ahead of actually getting there, being in the space, and seeing what there was to see both of the space in general and, more specifically, what there was to see of the actors in the space.

Here's Leon Vitali talking about Kubrick's approach from that same documentary I mentioned above (once again time-stamped for relevance but which I once again encourage people to watch in full):

With how unbelievable the aesthetics of Barry Lyndon are, it's almost incomprehensible that Kubrick was coming up with shit on the fly like that, but that's his genius. His eye does not have an equal in the history of cinema.

I liked what @Bullitt68 posted about his immense care... I always feel like his movies are so carefully crafted, they feel almost too smooth, but it's good, IDK.

Once again, even though I'm not crazy about him, Spielberg is very perceptive when it comes to Kubrick, and he, too, emphasizes his craft:

I feel like he conveys a lot of truth, but it's very intellectual. I don't feel pulled in emotionally.

Me and europe have said our pieces on the "cold" and "uncaring" portrait. Specifically in light of your post here, the films that I think have the strongest emotional "pull" in this sense are Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Lolita, Barry Lyndon, and Eyes Wide Shut.

I saw a lot of truth in Barry Lyndon but it didn't hit me like, 'wow, this is you on screen!' - you know? I don't if I've felt that way about any Kubrick movie.

The only Kubrick character I actually identify with in this sense is Kirk Douglas' character in Paths of Glory. This is not to say, however, that I'm not invested in his other characters. That, I think, is another element of Kubrick's genius. His characters are often deliberately schematized, but they're compellingly etched (by Kubrick) and vividly brought to life (by the actors). Not to mention they reinforce and are reinforced by brilliant and enthralling stories.

When the results are so good, I can't bring myself to complain.

I'd agree that Kubrick's movies are generally cold and engage the viewer more on an intellectual level than on an emotional one.

There are two distinct claims here that can and should be separated:

(1) Kubrick's movies are "cold."

(2) Kubrick's movies "engage the viewer more on an intellectual level than on an emotional one."

I don't have (as much of) a problem with (2). (1), though, I cannot abide. Even if we're just limiting the conversation to Barry Lyndon, I simply cannot fathom where or how the word "cold" enters the equation. "Detached," maybe. "Objective," sure. But "cold"? I just don't get it.

Chris Nolan actually reminds me of Kubrick in this way

giphy.gif

I'm not going to hijack a Kubrick thread with a Nolan rant. Suffice it to say that nobody else besides James Cameron currently making movies hits me in the feels as effortlessly or as profoundly as Christopher Nolan.

This movie is definately not normally my type at all; I really enjoyed it though. Although it was a bit slow for me, there is no substitute for excellent character development and great cinematography. I enjoyed part 1 much more than part 2, the latter of which was predictable to me, but this seems to be a possible theme for Kubrick movies, ie. Full Metal Jacket. Solid 7/10, with part 1 being closer to 8/10.

Not sure if you've seen some of my other comments, but I definitely feel you on Part I vs Part II. Part I 8.5 or even 9/10, Part II more like a 7/10 or 7.5/10. Though the final duel between Barry and Lord Bullingdon was incredible.

Glad you liked it overall and were able to join us this week.

P.S. Interesting comment on FMJ. I used to feel that way as well but then I re-watched it about a year ago and found myself enjoying the second half more.

Not sure if you've seen some of my other comments, but I definitely feel you on Part I vs Part II. Part I 8.5 or even 9/10, Part II more like a 7/10 or 7.5/10. Though the final duel between Barry and Lord Bullingdon was incredible.

Glad you liked it overall and were able to join us this week.

P.S. Interesting comment on FMJ. I used to feel that way as well but then I re-watched it about a year ago and found myself enjoying the second half more.
Yes I did wander upon your previous posts after I posted my review. The final duel was incredibly filmed, I agree, I just found myself thinking, ok I know where this is going. Part 2 as a whole was just a bit too predictable for me.
As far your comment regarding full metal jacket, I have to say you are the first person to say that they enjoyed post boot camp to the sgt. hartman portion. What are you seeing that I'm not; if you can point to a particular scene or feeling during a scene I'll rewatch 2nd half.

On the subject of Kubrick's "coldness" I would say that it is his craftsmanship that is very "detatched" and "objective", as Bullittdon worded it. However, the stories he tell can be immensly humanistic in the characters deepts and the emotional situations they find themselves in.

Yes I did wander upon your previous posts after I posted my review. The final duel was incredibly filmed, I agree, I just found myself thinking, ok I know where this is going. Part 2 as a whole was just a bit too predictable for me.
As far your comment regarding full metal jacket, I have to say you are the first person to say that they enjoyed post boot camp to the sgt. hartman portion. What are you seeing that I'm not; if you can point to a particular scene or feeling during a scene I'll rewatch 2nd half.

I'd need to watch FMJ again to be able to point out specific scenes, but I do specifically remember that Boot Camp was not as entertaining as I remembered and I didn't think the film REALLY got going until they got their boots on the ground in Vietnam.

Upon re-visiting the film, Boot Camp just didn't seem as substantial as I remembered and the story in the second half is a lot more "full" and has more to say.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to watch R. Lee Ermey be a dick, and it raises some interesting questions about what is--and is not--the proper way to treat soldiers-in-training, but I ultimately just felt like there was more meat on the bone later in the story.

Compare 2001 to Barry Lyndon to The Shining to Spartacus. All very different movies.

Also, it's worth pointing out that they also seem very different compared to their genre. The Shining is a horror movie, but there isn't really another horror movie like it. 2001 is a sci-fi but there is next-to no other sci-fi film like it, and so on and on.

I have to say you are the first person to say that they enjoyed post boot camp to the sgt. hartman portion.

Well now you've meet two!:D

Here is some analysis I cooked up on FMJ in ancient times. If anyone's intrested.

I even love the second-half of FMJ. The sniper scene, in itself, is amazing, and Joker excecuting the Vietnamese markswoman is one of the most heart wrenching scenes in film history.

But the thing is -- the First-Half and Second-Half of FMJ is much more intimately connected than people give it credit for. Thematically they link like gloves. The boot-camp is a basically brain-washing center. The recruits are stripped of their identity and made into bloodthirsty, sexually perverted grunts. The Drill-Sergant specifically picks sexually loaded insults and orders to galvanize them towards this depraved mindset. A ton of the insults he throws at them is aimed at making them connect sex with violence ("this is my rifle, this is my gun", for example. And they are even ordered to give their rifle a female name... and then sleep with them!).

The second-half is basically all about depicting the results of this training. It's no suprise that Joker is the only humane, sensitive soldier in the field who does not commit some sort of atrocity or undignified deed. He is the only one who survived the brainwashing. Everyone else is a psycho to some degree that has no moral qualms about shooting civilians, abusing prostitutes, or taking joy in killing their enemy. (The infantryman that shoots the sniper for example, humps his hips back-and-forth in the air right after having nailed her, as if fucking her).

Yet, in the end, when Joker has to kill the female sniper (or as Animal Mother says, "fuck her", sex and violence again) he too losses his inner humanity, he gets the "1000-yards stare" and becomes as emotionally hollow as his fellow grunts. In the ending scene, he marches in perfect alignement with his fellow troops, whistling the mickey-mouse tune alongsides them, signifying that he has become just like them. If you recall, the Drill-Sergent asked Privete Pyle in that pivotal scene when they where in the bathroom if he had gone completely "Mickey-Mouse"?, ie: if he had gone crazy? Joker went crazy in the end. Boot Camp didn't break him but War did. That's great storytelling.

Well now you've meet two!:D

Here is some analysis I cooked up on FMJ in ancient times. If anyone's intrested.
Awesome, I'll give the second half a rewatch. I would say more, but dont want this to become a FMJ thread.

In an effort to keep this brief rather than rant-like: There was an edge to his early movies that was lost after Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I've said this before on here, probably in greater detail, but he once said (this was like 10 years ago or something), looking back on that film, that if he would've made the film today he wouldn't have had Richard Dreyfuss get on the ship. That is at the heart of my dislike. To borrow an insult from The Joker: His balls dropped off. And you can see that clear as day in War of the Worlds, a brilliant fucking 10/10 thrill ride for so much of its running time but which drops off towards the end before just getting flushed down the fucking toilet with the goofy happy ending.

And then, in addition to that intellectual critique, most of his shit just isn't cool. Indiana Jones is lame as fuck, ET and Hook and all that kiddy shit doesn't do anything for me, Jurassic Park was awesome when I was 6 but it doesn't hold up, his heavy-handed political shit in the '90s sucked ass (yes, I'm saying Schindler's List sucked ass), Saving Private Ryan is hands down the most overrated war movie ever.

I'm just not a fan of the man.

Holy shit! You're a mad man!

All the things you named are reasons WHY I like Spielberg. I enjoy his family-friendly style, the heart, the warmth, the happy endings.

While if I were to list out some of my favorite movies you'd see a variety of genres and styles represented, many of my very favorite movies have strong escapist qualities to them. They're movies with likable characters that take you on a fun adventure and everything works out in the end. You mention Indiana Jones and say he's "lame as fuck." That blows me away, since the Indy franchise is one of my all-time favorites.

Just looking at my movie collection you'll find shit like The Shining, Goodfellas, Talk Radio, Winter's Bone and Moon. But you're also going to find The Mummy, The Fast and the Furious, Sleepy Hollow and National Treasure. And the latter films hold every bit the importance for me as the former.

There are two distinct claims here that can and should be separated:

(1) Kubrick's movies are "cold."

(2) Kubrick's movies "engage the viewer more on an intellectual level than on an emotional one."

I don't have (as much of) a problem with (2). (1), though, I cannot abide. Even if we're just limiting the conversation to Barry Lyndon, I simply cannot fathom where or how the word "cold" enters the equation. "Detached," maybe. "Objective," sure. But "cold"? I just don't get it.

It could be the way we're using the word "cold." I am using it quite literally as the opposite of "warm." That is, there is relatively little warmth to his movies. Going back to Spielberg, the themes, narrative turns and style employed in films like ET or Jurassic Park are full of warmth. The Shining, 2001 and Barry Lyndon are not, at least not the way I see it.

Certainly the warmest of those films is Barry Lyndon, such as in scenes with Barry and Lieschen near the beginning of the movie or the happy moments that Barry spends with his son in the second half. But as a whole, I wouldn't call it a warm film, no.

giphy.gif

I'm not going to hijack a Kubrick thread with a Nolan rant. Suffice it to say that nobody else besides James Cameron currently making movies hits me in the feels as effortlessly or as profoundly as Christopher Nolan.

First off, I legit LOLd at that gif. So thanks.

Beyond that, well, that's an interesting position to take. I know that I'm not alone in feeling like Nolan is a good technical filmmaker but that he tends to fall flat when dealing with the emotional elements.

I'd be curious to hear more about how his films have engaged you emotionally.

Holy shit! You're a mad man!

If you're going to converse with Bullitt, prepare to break plenty of furniture in rage. We're talking about a guy that thinks Steven Seagal is cooler than Clint Eastwood. What you presently know about him is only the tip of the iceberg concerning his cinematic hearsay. He is, in a word, a "wrong-thinker".

Sometimes the tangents are just as fun as the main discussion.

You just like them because they inevitable leads to someone talking about hot certain actresses are!:D

Back