SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 176 movie!

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 176 movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
True. I mean, that's one of those movies that I've at least personally have been discussing and analyzing low-key for over a decade. It's such a retread in many respects.

But have you discussed it with us?

The biggest issue for me is people who actually choose the nominations not taking much part in the threads, if your not choosing films you actually want to discuss then why bother? if the nominator takes an active role that helps things along massively IMHO.

I agree. I think the nominator needs to pick films that will generate discussion and then needs to be actively involved. I know that @Cubo de Sangre and I put a lot of thought into our last nominations to be sure that every film we nominated had good potential. And I think we both did a good job. I was very disappointed that Barton didn't generate more discussion because it was a fun, original and brilliant film.

I would call for example for a ban on gifs

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm with @FrontNakedChoke on this!

I'm not a film student or a movie critic. I try to keep my posts to light-hearted humor and reactions, and leave the deeper analysis to those who feel capable. Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea.

giphy.gif

my gifs aren't going anywhere

JO4GWW.gif

Good! Your gif laden posts are awesome! Reaction gifs bring everything to life. You know what they say about a gif being worth a thousand words. I definitely don't think we should be looking the gif horse in the mouth.

You catch my gif?

giphy.gif

FYI - the dude in this gif is currently known in the US for being an over the top slut shaming, lying, narcissistic example of evangelical toxic masculinity. In this scene he is trying not to punch someone. LOL!

Just posting to say that I haven't even had time to PM @europe1 about dropping out of the club, let alone to catch-up on Barton Fink and The Shining. During my last year of unemployment, weekly discussions weren't a problem. Now, trying to run two film classes (as well as doing freelance monograph editing and copyediting Sherdog articles) AND keep up with the SMC, it's just not going to happen. I'll still pop in when I can, but I knew as soon as the fall term started that there was no way that I could remain an SMC member in good standing.

That said, if free time is people's issue (as it is mine), there's always the option of bumping the SMD. As has been mentioned, the reason that that thread faded away was because the regulars just didn't have the time to post in there. Now, however, if the weekly crunch is too demanding for the SMC to function, the SMD might be the answer, as it'd allow people to watch whatever they want at their own paces and talk about it to their heart's content, and if other people have anything to say about whatever someone/people are talking about, a conversation can kickoff organically.

Wherever there are people talking about movies, I'll find them and pop in when I can, but the above constitutes the two cents that I've got on the issues at hand.

But have you discussed it with us?

I think we have a disconnect in what different members of the club want. I live for @MusterX commentary and I really appreciate the amount of effort he puts into his posts. It's reached a point that I rarely watch a movie where he doesn't pop into my head when something obscure happens.

Not to be a debbie-downer. But a big chunk of the symbolist-stuff MusterX publishes is stuff I read about a decade ago. (It's still a lionhearted effort he's doing, undoubtedly). I used to get deep into the nitty-gritty of that stuff, and have forgotten most of the argumentative details surrounding them. It's just a rabbit-hole that's strenuous to go down again, trying to find counterarguments and further affirmative examples. It's basically become an exercise in trying to dig up old memories. I want to get into new stuff.

. I was very disappointed that Barton didn't generate more discussion because it was a fun, original and brilliant film.

I honestly think that Barton is so confounding that it... kind of makes for a bad discussion, if that makes sense? There is just such a fardel of cultural references throw out there but little cohesive tissue that it's hard to speak about it in some overall narrative.

FYI - the dude in this gif is currently known in the US for being an over the top slut shaming, lying, narcissistic example of evangelical toxic masculinity. In this scene he is trying not to punch someone. LOL!

I had no idea. Don't worry. He would definitively die in a Fritz Lang film.;)

I also miss your posts and detailed responses to top 5s @europe1.

tumblr_oqu7ujKfoa1snmmclo1_400.gif

I honestly think that Barton is so confounding that it... kind of makes for a bad discussion, if that makes sense? There is just such a fardel of cultural references throw out there but little cohesive tissue that it's hard to speak about it in some overall narrative.

Doesn't sound like the film I watched. Seemed pretty straightforward, with a surreal twist at the end.

Doesn't sound like the film I watched. Seemed pretty straightforward, with a surreal twist at the end.

Yeah but try explaining stuff like why Satan said "Heil Hitler" before blowing a guys brains out. It's just hard to find a narrative that puts mysterious quips like that into any greater context or theorem which creates symbolic meaning. Except for some post-modernistic hullaballoo.

Yeah but try explaining stuff like why Satan said "Heil Hitler" before blowing a guys brains out. It's just hard to find a narrative that puts mysterious quips like that into any greater context or theorem which creates symbolic meaning. Except for some post-modernistic hullaballoo.

Mundt was of German dissent and it was WWII time. Seemed like he was just adding insult to injury.

Just posting to say that I haven't even had time to PM @europe1

You're doing this to me when a Lang film has just finally won!?

tumblr_onr31gZTdZ1sf2a1uo2_500.gifv

Is this some sort of longstanding revenge for me saying that King Kong had some of the best fight scenes of all time?

But I understand;)

Mundt was of German dissent and it was WWII time. Seemed like he was just adding insult to injury.

In a Coen flick? Nah. That explenation just lacks thematic footing. Him playing on his Germanic descent like that seem to unsupported by the rest of the movie. Especially how it relates to Nazis.

@Tufts wonders if two-week cycles would be better, and suggests that if you vote for a film that wins then you're committed to some participation that week.

In a Coen flick? Nah. That explenation just lacks thematic footing. Him playing on his Germanic descent like that seem to unsupported by the rest of the movie. Especially how it relates to Nazis.

Even if that's the case, it's hardly a significant theme. What's there that is significant seems easy to follow.

You guys are tripping me out. I feel like I have to step in and drill an asteroid that is about to slam into the club.

armageddon-1434384278.gif

giphy.gif

I would be willing to agree to @Tufts concessions that each discussion was 2 weeks instead of 1 week if we are having time constraint problems with membership.
I would also agree with @Tufts that there is a requirement that people who submit a film must participate in the discussion of that film. This means people could actually decline their week if they so choose and don't think they can participate.

I think we should still allow people to nominate films, its always been a smart feature of the club that allows everyone to "have a turn."

I wasn't prepared for @Bullitt68 to depart. One thing that I learned about Bullitt is that even with all the crap we disagree on, we both have a love for Stanley Kubrick.

tenor.gif

I would be fine with Bullitt participating whenever he can and if that's only once in a blue moon, I'm alright with that. We could just present Bullitt with the first honorary membership, especially since he's the only one of us that actually went to film school. Its an open invitation to participate with the club at any time regardless of previous participation.

Another thing is, I understand when we have these dips in participation like its been for the last couple of months, people think the worst. I've seen this cycle of a lot of participation and almost no participation multiple times since the club started. I almost just accept it as normal so it doesn't really bother me or worry me. Like I said though, if we want to try only doing a new film every 2nd week then I'm alright with that decision. We could always go back to weekly if more people join or participation increases.

You guys are tripping me out. I feel like I have to step in and drill an asteroid that is about to slam into the club.

armageddon-1434384278.gif

giphy.gif

I would be willing to agree to @Tufts concessions that each discussion was 2 weeks instead of 1 week if we are having time constraint problems with membership.
I would also agree with @Tufts that there is a requirement that people who submit a film must participate in the discussion of that film. This means people could actually decline their week if they so choose and don't think they can participate.

I think we should still allow people to nominate films, its always been a smart feature of the club that allows everyone to "have a turn."

I wasn't prepared for @Bullitt68 to depart. One thing that I learned about Bullitt is that even with all the crap we disagree on, we both have a love for Stanley Kubrick.

tenor.gif

I would be fine with Bullitt participating whenever he can and if that's only once in a blue moon, I'm alright with that. We could just present Bullitt with the first honorary membership, especially since he's the only one of us that actually went to film school. Its an open invitation to participate with the club at any time regardless of previous participation.

Another thing is, I understand when we have these dips in participation like its been for the last couple of months, people think the worst. I've seen this cycle of a lot of participation and almost no participation multiple times since the club started. I almost just accept it as normal so it doesn't really bother me or worry me. Like I said though, if we want to try only doing a new film every 2nd week then I'm alright with that decision. We could always go back to weekly if more people join or participation increases.

First off, two thumbs down on honorary membership. Having a film degree shouldn't convey special privilege.

As for two weeks, that fucking sucks if we keep the same format. Now I get to nominate films every 7-8 months? Whoopie! That idea only has appeal if we can nominate each time.

Does honorary membership even mean anything except... "hey we kinda like you! Your wrongful opinions on the Excorcist doesn't make you totally loathsome!"

Like... it doesn't involve voting, or nominations, or anything like that?

Why is everyone so negative and even hostile about the club lately? Those who participate sporadically, like Bullitt and I, do what we can. I wouldn't get mad at someone else who doesn't show up, but someone who nominates that week should have to contribute in their own thread (eventually) or maybe they get bumped to the end of the next nomination cycle. I dunno, just spitballing here.

But if your blood starts boiling that people aren't chiming in on this or that week when you've said words, maybe you should take a break for a few minutes. This is a karate forum, with a small group of about 20 people that like to talk about movies. Banter and busting chops is one thing, but being outraged because it's quiet isn't necessary.

Hard pass on the Battle Royale every week suggestion, that doesn't sound nearly as fun as you might think.

Why is everyone so negative and even hostile about the club lately? Those who participate sporadically, like Bullitt and I, do what we can. I wouldn't get mad at someone else who doesn't show up, but someone who nominates that week should have to contribute in their own thread (eventually) or maybe they get bumped to the end of the next nomination cycle. I dunno, just spitballing here.

But if your blood starts boiling that people aren't chiming in on this or that week when you've said words, maybe you should take a break for a few minutes. This is a karate forum, with a small group of about 20 people that like to talk about movies. Banter and busting chops is one thing, but being outraged because it's quiet isn't necessary.

Hard pass on the Battle Royale every week suggestion, that doesn't sound nearly as fun as you might think.

Nah.

Back