SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 176 movie!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by europe1, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:20 PM.

?

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 176 movie!

Poll closed Friday at 12:20 PM.
  1. Man Hunt (1941)

50.0%
  2. Barefoot Gen (1983)

16.7%
  3. Come and See (1985)

25.0%
  4. Nanjing! Nanjing! aka City of Life and Death (2009)

8.3%
  1. moreorless87

moreorless87 Out To Lunch

Mickey Rouke not having a place in your bloodsoaked butt's top 5? for shame.

As a counter to such fliviously wanton flith some serious artistically justified butt's in the best possible taste.

1.Helen Mirren in Age of Conset
    2.Juilette Binoche in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
    3.Brigitte Bardot in Contempt
    4.Lea Seydoux in Blue is the Warmest Colour
    5.Nicole Kidman in Eyes Wide Shut

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 1:02 AM
    Yotsuya, chickenluver and europe1 like this.
  2. Yotsuya

Yotsuya Purple Belt

Sorry, too corny and serious. Butts are supposed to be funny.

3. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________ Yellow Card

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________ Yellow Card

I'm not a film student or a movie critic. I try to keep my posts to light-hearted humor and reactions, and leave the deeper analysis to those who feel capable. Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea.

[​IMG]

my gifs aren't going anywhere

[​IMG]

5. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

@europe1 what do think of making every week a battle royale? And if you don't participate in discussion the prior week then you don't get to toss out a nomination.

This does a few things. It rewards participation, gives everyone a horse in the race each week, and ensures a good variety of choices. The only drawback I see is nobody is guaranteed a turn.

Tufts likes this.
  6. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

Well, my first thought is that it would significantly increase my own workload as organizer of all this.:D

My main crux is that I still don't think it would improve the participation-rate.

In fact, I suspect it might even lessen the participation rate. Since with the one-week rule, people would quickly drop-off and not recieve automatic alerts. That'll way, it would become a lot easier to just "forget" about the SMC and move on.

It also doesn't jive with people who habitually post their thoughts quite late (Jei or Bullitt for instance)

Likewise, we'd most likely end up with many weeks where there are like five people prescent. A vote with five people participating on five different films just doesn't sound fun or dynamic.

What do others think?

chickenluver likes this.
  7. moreorless87

Honestly I think it would be a bit of a disaster and would probably kill off the whole thing pretty quickly. You'd end up with a tyranny of the majority who don't tend to actually drive much of the discussion.

Again I admit I don't really see the point of the desire some have to drag discussion away from artier cinema, I mean cinema is probably the biggest single area of discussion(well bar weirdo incel threads) on thsi sub forum so its not as if this is the only place to do it.

chickenluver likes this.
  8. Cubo de Sangre

I didn't say it would increase participation and your concerns don't seem to make sense. I did, however, list three benefits that you didn't comment on. And near as I can tell you seem to think people would be getting kicked out after every week they don't participate and nothing I said suggests that. Let's try again with a hypothetical outline.

You've got say 15 club members. We're currently on week 175 discussion. If 10 of the members participate with some demonstration of having watched the film, then they would all be eligible to nominate a film for week 177. Since week 176 selection overlaps with 175 discussion, we'd need a one week lag. All 15 members are still eligible to vote.

Compared to how things are presently, what would this do?
    • Participation rates? Either no effect or possible increase
    • Rewarding participation? Increase
    • Total number of films each member has the chance to nominate? Increase
    • Number of weeks between being allowed to nominate films? Decrease (which is a good thing here)
    • Variety of choices per week? Increase
    Notable concerns?
    • You aren't guaranteed to have one of your films discussed
    • Dudes who are habitually late get left out
    • Requires contact with more members on a weekly basis (i.e. more work to organize)
    The easy answers there are to nominate better films, and if you're gonna watch a movie for the club then pick the current one first. Work backwards from there. As for the extra work, I'm happy to take some on. Personally I think the benefits greatly outweigh the concerns. Of course this would be implemented at the end of the current cycle so nobody gets screwed.

Tufts likes this.
  9. Cubo de Sangre

What are you talking about?

Tufts likes this.
  10. moreorless87

If you had a battle royal every week I suspect you would get the same kinds of films picked quite often and I think this would be more of the straight forward variety. There seems to be an inclination towards that yet it doesn't actually result in much worthwhile discussion IMHO.

I mean even with one person choosing the noms I think you see a filtering effect in the voting towards cinema that at least appears to be more along the lines of conventional action/horror/thriller.

Honestly whilst europe1 does an excellent job of this thread in some ways the serious film discussion thread did seem to avoid that, there seemed to be more acceptance of what it was.

chickenluver likes this.
  11. Cubo de Sangre

I don't know the past battles demonstrate that at all. In fact, looking at spreadsheet of nominations, I think there's a great variety. And certainly not the same type of films being picked. Winners were:
    • A Clockwork Orange
    • Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man
    • Withnail and I
    • First Reformed
    • Shot Caller

Tufts likes this.
  12. europe1

It was Miracle Mile, not Whitnail.

Popularity ≠ Better films

So people's eligibility to vote would still be based on the 3 weeks rule?

Another concern would just be the fun of crafting your own week. Plenty of people like making 4 nominations / a theme and then seeing which one pulls out ahead. You obviously lose that in this system.

What does this entail? You taking on the presidency?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    chickenluver and Tufts like this.
  13. europe1

We Have A Winner

[​IMG]

Chickenluver presented us with a bunch of depressing shit and the SMC went for the only one who doesn't seem like it's aiming to give Shindler's List a run for its money.

Also, first Fritz Lang flick in the SMC. I don't care that it's one of his lesser work. It's still Fritz Lang for fucks sake!!! This makes me a happy europe indeed.

[​IMG]

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Cubo de Sangre @FrontNakedChoke @Tufts @chickenluver @E Undead @Scott Parker 27 @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @HARRISON_3 @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Zer

HOWEVER!!!
    This week, @Cubo de Sangre has made a proposition to radically alter how the SMC functions. Since this is such a club-changing remodelling, we need voices from the entire membership to get involved in this discussion. You can read Cubo's plans and others responses to it on this page.

What do you guys think? Does this new system seem alluring or do members prefer the current system? Any criticisms, opinions or injections?

EDIT: for any Johnny-come-laters, here's how the discussion ended.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 9:41 AM
  14. moreorless87

I worry the last of those represents more the way things would be heading if we went with only battle royals though and besides not being to my taste I don't think it would lead to much discussion generally.

I have to admit part of me thinks that whilst europe1 has done an excellent job running the SMC the serious film thread kept as a sticky made for better discussion, not as time limited and less about people forcing their tastes on each other.

chickenluver and HenryFlower like this.
  15. europe1

The SMD was awesome. Even while being run by an archdevil who genuinely thinks that The Magnificent Seven is better than Seven Samurai. However, the reason that place was unsticked to begin with was the dearth of discussion. We're trying to run a weekly discussion here. During it's death-days, a monthly discussion was a busy day. It's just a difference in circumstances around the discussion.

EDIT: Of course, the SMD used to have a very high discussion-activity. But that dilapidated, similar to ours.

We could always do a trial run before deciding if to make it permanent or not.

I sort of worry about that happening -- but I'm not sure I'd bet on it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 1:05 PM
    HenryFlower likes this.
  16. chickenluver

chickenluver Bookmobile Driver

I'm against this change.

HenryFlower likes this.
  17. Cubo de Sangre

My mistake. Point still stands.

Since we're voting on shit, popularity is baked into the process.

Yes, membership eligibility remains the same.

You're right on the themes. As the person (as far as I know) who made that a practice, I'd rather have the chance to nominate more movies. Themes are fun but still only one film is selected, and half the time it's the one I least wanna see win. lol. A nomination a week sounds more fun to me than four nominations every 3-4 months.

I'll help you out or take over, provided we make some changes. I really don't know what your energy level is like at this point.

Tufts likes this.
  18. Tufts

Tufts Green Belt

I think we have a disconnect in what different members of the club want. I live for @MusterX commentary and I really appreciate the amount of effort he puts into his posts. It's reached a point that I rarely watch a movie where he doesn't pop into my head when something obscure happens. I also miss your posts and detailed responses to top 5s @europe1.

19. Cubo de Sangre

I ripped Shot Caller to shreds, but I won't say it's beneath the club to have discussed it. Pretty sure it got one of my votes because it was one I wanted to see anyway. Other than poor execution, I really don't know what direction you think this lone instance portends.

I don't know how that decision went, but those of us in the SMC at the time considered it a pretty good sign we were doing something right. As far as forcing tastes, the changes I propose eliminates that factor.

Tufts likes this.
  20. Tufts

Tufts Green Belt

How many of us were members back then? I don't think this is the case. I just think that lack of participation has slowly become the norm and we are all a lot more comfortable blowing off stuff that we are not that interested in. I feel like the club has people like me and @Cubo de Sangre and @FrontNakedChoke who prefer the more mainstream stuff and then folks like @europe1 and @Rimbaud82 and @Yotsuya who like the more obscure artsy stuff. When I joined, it felt like we had a good mix of films so we all got to enjoy our favourite kind of movies, so it wasn't a big deal to watch stuff we normally wouldn't. But then slowly people started commenting less and we all lost motivation and steam. I know that I haven't felt particularly seen lately. It is discouraging to get no response after putting effort into commenting. So I started skipping films I didn't really want to see coz I didn't see the point.