Share Your Realistic FU Money Amount

why do you have so much in the G Fund Stoic?

yes, it's a guaranteed return as it's Government Securities, but the C or S fund could do more work until you're closer to retirement....

just a thought
I threw all my TSP money into L2040.

I threw all my TSP money into L2040.
if you don't want to Diversify yourself, those Retirement Date set funds aren't a bad choice

The L Funds have a relatively low Expense Ratio (it's actually the average of the Expense Ratios of the G, S, C, F, and I funds), .4% IIRC, so the real only 'negative' to the TSP (like many 401k type plans) is the relatively limited number of choices.

50 million and every dollar is planned out.
evil-businessman-planning-revenge-260nw-1283659690.jpg

There are definitely levels to FU money. Even the small victories are nice. My wife has wanted to go to part-time with the kids. My income is enough to pay all bills and live comfortably, but we can basically live however we want off two incomes. When she asked to go part time, they said that her position doesn't have part time. They offered her a raise. She put in her two weeks. They immediately scrambled and decided to create a position that was part time.

I know that's not the type of FU money that you are talking about, but it's a good example of those smaller positions of power that work out. It's nice to be able to just say "fuck you, I don't need this".

This is a win in real life. 2 milions is a fantasy.

No amount. I have walked off jobs for large amounts of money because people involved were cunts. Money doesn't dictate who I tell 'fuck you' to. So fuck you for asking.
Unknown.jpeg

Bay Area, California here. $2mil barely buys you a decent house. I'd need $10mil.....and then leave this overcrowded are and live on ranch if Montana or Texas or something.

This would be an interesting question to ask people that are 80 to 100 years old.

Money only seems to matter the most to those in the middle of their lives. Ask a six year old and it's probably "Huh?" or "Ten dollars." Ask an 80 year old and it's probably "Huh?" or I would bet most don't care about money anymore at that age.

if you don't want to Diversify yourself, those Retirement Date set funds aren't a bad choice

The L Funds have a relatively low Expense Ratio (it's actually the average of the Expense Ratios of the G, S, C, F, and I funds), .4% IIRC, so the real only 'negative' to the TSP (like many 401k type plans) is the relatively limited number of choices.

Target date retirement funds are diversified already. I just have a little bit in that TSP account, maybe $30k or something. I have a decent chunk in a Fidelity target retirement fund from my last employer, and wife and I are dumping the max ($55k for me, I think $19k for her) into a Vanguard target date fund. Some other small stuff here and there... put whatever is required to get the max 457 match through work, hsa, backdoor roth, little into 529. Will also dump some into a solo 401k this year.

I'm halfway FU mode now.

I'm not rich by any stretch, but I don't have any debts.

Career ambitions have lost their shine for me at this point. I'm decent enough at enough things that I don't have trouble getting okay paying work.

Right now and for the foreseeable future I just want to work enough of the year to save for trips and put a little away for when I'm an old fuck.

Last year it was two months in Thailand. This year it will be Australia, then to KL and around SE Asia.

I assume I'm saying FU to my job and I think I would do that with 1 million dollars tax free. I'd walk away. My wife would have to keep working...she makes great money and we'd need the health insurance

I'd drop about 300k on 2 paid off rental duplexes...in my area I could get 1 grand per unit for a total of 4k per month in rent.

I'd put 400k in index funds and probably throw the rest in a CD.

A bad enough lawsuit could clean out your 800k.

20 million.

That's my number. Have to be able to kill a few million in court costs lol.

By me and my wifes retirement the goal is 20 million

the best part of having FU money is being able to afford just about anything but having the balls to say, "Nah, I don't really need it" and walking away.

Well, paying off our house and one vehicle is all the debt we have.

We want a few small house upgrades. I think after paying that off. With 5 million in the bank, that should be perfect. I'm 35, so lets say i live to be 85. That's $5 million divided by 50yrs, equals to 100k a year. Without a house or car payment, there's no way we are spending anything close to that a year. Even with travel.

That should be more than enough.
Similar to my situation, although we bought our house and car outright, I still want to buy another car (Tesla or Benz e300) and a house or apartment for my daughter, she’s 10 now so 15 years to get that done.

I agree with 100k per year is very nice and also a realistic target

Similar to my situation, although we bought our house and car outright, I still want to buy another car (Tesla or Benz e300) and a house or apartment for my daughter, she’s 10 now so 15 years to get that done.

I agree with 100k per year is very nice and also a realistic target
Man, we will start to have kids next year.

I want to trade our current buick for the new buick SUV, but i don't know. We will be done paying that off next year, and having zero car payments sounds great. A new SUV sounds awesome, but a new 3 or 4yr car note doesn't.

Man, we will start to have kids next year.

I want to trade our current buick for the new buick SUV, but i don't know. We will be done paying that off next year, and having zero car payments sounds great. A new SUV sounds awesome, but a new 3 or 4yr car note doesn't.
The envision suv?

I can say having a large interior and trunk space is very helpful if you have kids haha

Back